Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Medicated, how to deal with cleaning?

Jenny Liddle

Cavy Slave
Hi there!

Our new rescue piggie is being treated for mites (ivermectin, 3 doses each a week apart) but she is still shedding like crazy and scratching a lot. I feel so bad for her! Other than cleaning out her bedding more often, is there anything I can do to help her be more comfortable until the mites are all gone? Would a flea comb help?

Thanks! :)

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
How are you administering the dose? Are you putting it on the bald patches behind her ears?

Jenny Liddle

Cavy Slave
It's an oral dose (liquid, syringe-fed) based on her weight. She does have bald, itchy patches behind her ears though :( Would taking a flea comb to the little mite-corpses help at all? or just make me feel better because I'm doing something? :)

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
Ah okay, then you're doing it properly. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working, unless your guinea pig actually has lice or fleas instead of/as well as mites? The ivermectin wouldn't affect those. Do you have access to revolution? Revolution will treat mites, lice, and fleas simultaneously and is a topical application (applied to the skin). The bald patches behind her ears are supposed to be there, and that's where ivermectin is best applied if you're using a topical dose, because it gets absorbed through the skin (there's less thick hair in the way). I also apply revolution to the bald patches behind my guinea pig's ears when I use it because it works in the same way- gets absorbed through the skin. See if you can switch to a pesticide that will kill lice fleas and mites simultaneously and watch for improvement :)

Jenny Liddle

Cavy Slave
Thank you! If I don't see improvement after her second dose on Monday I will try Revolution. The mites are concentrated in the hair around her bald patches, so that's where she scratches most and I was concerned about them. Good to know :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.