Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Lump on Left of Spine near Rear End

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
So for a little bit now, I've noticed a lump on my little one's back. It's a little to the left of the spine near the rear end. It never really bothered me until I was giving him a bath today. It doesn't hurt him (or at least doesn't seem to) when I touch it. It even looks a bit bruised. I am planning to bring him to the vet when I get my job back home in a few weeks but I was curious if anyone has dealt with something like this. I'm worried especially since he's not even a year old yet. Please help
0419152027b.jpg

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
Don't know if you have already seen this or if it well even help, but i performed a quick google search and this came up. Hopefully it will help! (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
Is it squishy and moveable? Is it at all warm to the touch? Is it touching his grease gland?

It may be a sebaceous cyst or a fatty lipoma.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html.

I didn't try to move it. When I poke it, my finger doesn't squish into it but it's definitely not hard. I don't think it was warm to the touch. When I googled "grease gland", it is pretty close to where the lump is.

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
Don't know if you have already seen this or if it well even help, but i performed a quick google search and this came up. Hopefully it will help! (broken link removed)

thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you see the grease gland on his back? What I'm concerned about is that the grease gland may have some sort of infection in it that's spread to another area of his back. If the lump and the grease gland aren't running into each other, then that's not a concern. But if they are, you need to see a vet to get it lanced/drained and possibly an antibiotic.

Is there any sort of scab on top of the lump?

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
Can you see the grease gland on his back? What I'm concerned about is that the grease gland may have some sort of infection in it that's spread to another area of his back. If the lump and the grease gland aren't running into each other, then that's not a concern. But if they are, you need to see a vet to get it lanced/drained and possibly an antibiotic.

Is there any sort of scab on top of the lump?

I cannot see the grease gland and there is no scab on it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See that slightly rough area that your index finger is pointing to? That looks to me like it's possibly the grease gland, although if it's not right in the middle of his lower back, it's out of place. But if it is, it's right on top of that swollen lump, and I'd definitely be worried if that's the case. It might be nothing, but it could be something serious.

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
See that slightly rough area that your index finger is pointing to? That looks to me like it's possibly the grease gland, although if it's not right in the middle of his lower back, it's out of place. But if it is, it's right on top of that swollen lump, and I'd definitely be worried if that's the case. It might be nothing, but it could be something serious.

Actually I just checked him again. The lump is about an inch away from his grease gland although his grease gland does look like I need to clean it as well. It doesn't look infected or if it is, it's a small infection. I'm definitely going to keep an eye for it and bring him to the vet when I get the money soon here.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a plan.

But you really should have a vet fund set aside. Guinea pig care can be very expensive, and unfortunately, the pig won't check on the state of your pocketbook before it decides to become really ill. If this were a respiratory infection or a urinary tract stone, your waiting until you could get the money together might mean the death of your pig, even if was only 24 hours.

You also should find an exotic vet near you. Small animal (dog and cat) vets have little or no education and training in the care of exotic pets, and can actually do damage to them. When your pig is in the middle of an emergency, that's too late to look for one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.