Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Lump on nipple

cookie&ches

Cavy Slave
My four year old pig Cookie has a rather large lump on/next to her nipple. I've also noticed some pinkish pee in her carrier, which I'm pretty sure is Cookie's, though it could possibly be my other pigs, who was in there with her. I haven't noticed any other abnormal behavior, she's eating and drinking normally. We're taking her to the vet today but if anyone has advice it'd be great.

The lump is most likely a mammary tumor, which will need to be removed. It's not a terrible surgery because there's usually no muscle involvement. But I'd want a vet with experience in surgery on guinea pigs, because the anesthesia for them can be the greatest risk of the whole procedure.

I'd also want an x-ray to see if there's a bladder stone, but with another pig in the cage, that won't really tell you whether the other pig has one or not. And it won't identify an infection. But bladder stones can be really serious in guinea pigs, so I'd want to rule it out.

The lump is most likely a mammary tumor, which will need to be removed. It's not a terrible surgery because there's usually no muscle involvement. But I'd want a vet with experience in surgery on guinea pigs, because the anesthesia for them can be the greatest risk of the whole procedure.

I'd also want an x-ray to see if there's a bladder stone, but with another pig in the cage, that won't really tell you whether the other pig has one or not. And it won't identify an infection. But bladder stones can be really serious in guinea pigs, so I'd want to rule it out.
Would an x-ray require anesthesia?

I've had many pigs get xrays and they never needed to be put under.

Not usually, but if they do need to anesthetize them, they just "whiff" them under with a little gas, and then they're awake as soon as the gas stops.

So yesterday at the vet she was put under anesthesia and had various tests done, most of which we are waiting for a result from. We are giving her some medication for a UTI even thought we aren't completely sure if she has one or not. She most likely will have to have a surgery to remove the lump, but we're going to work out the details once her results get back. The vet didn't find anything else unusual.

We have her back now and she seems fine, aside from the obvious :)

Yesterday me and my mom noticed that Cookie's bum is pretty wet/damp, and we saw some white stuff coming from her part. Does anyone know what it could be?

She could have a bladder stone that is causing incontenence. She could have a fungal infection which would explain the white stuff. Or there are other possibilities.

Does she live alone? If not, is she with a male or a female? If a male, is he neutered?

She lives with Chestnut, my other pig, who’s female and spayed.

One possibility for the white stuff could be a mucus plug. When a sow is not in heat, her reproductive tract is plugged with mucus. As she comes into heat, she loses that plug. You usually don't see it, but occasionally you can. It's sort of whitish and gummy.

Still, I'd take her in for a vet visit to check on the wetness, but just make sure it's an exotic vet. If it's caused by a UTI, she'll need an antibiotic. If it's a stone, they might be able to manipulate it out if it's small enough. Otherwise, it will probably require surgery. And if it's not a stone, they need to make sure the problem isn't in the reproductive tract.

Ok. The white is gone now, but we are going to take her to the vet either tonight or tomorrow. Do you think she would be able to wait till tomorrow? If we brought her in tonight it would be really late. Also, someone recommended we bathe her, what shampoo would be best to use?

Cookie’s having surgery today to remove the mass and be spayed. The results came back and it is cancer, we’re not sure which type but hopefully removing the mass will remove the cancer.

Cookie’s having surgery today to remove the mass and be spayed. The results came back and it is cancer, we’re not sure which type but hopefully removing the mass will remove the cancer.
Awwwww. Lots of positive energy for Cookie. Hopefully this fixes her right up and she will be fine. Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed for her.

Does this looks like a good post-op recovery enclosure?

Attachments

E3D28A1D-3E78-43E3-B50C-834BBCCE7420.jpeg
At first glance it looks just perfect. Plenty of places to hide and small enough to limit her movement while she recovers.

We got her back! She’s taking critical care along with her other meds, and she’s pretty sleepy but seems pretty good aside from that.

She’s doing good, she’s eating fairly well and seems a bit more like herself today :)

I had always found that the day after surgery was ok, but then they sort of took a bit of a dive on day two. After that, they always seemed to perk up and you could see a marked improvement.

I'm glad she's doing better today. The first 24 hours I was always on pins and needles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.