Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Kaytee Rabbit Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

couchon

Cavy Slave
You can see in the pictures that it is very narrow. I have a 2x3 (haven't seen the Midwest Habitat, so can't say), as I mentioned, and I have the same pigloo as you. And as people are saying the inner dimensions of the cage are probably way off, so it's probably only 22 inches wide of usable space.

Even a 2x3 is absolutely TINY (even for 1 pig). Yes, it's the BARE minimum. If you make the cage even smaller it's BELOW the absolute minimum, and 2 inches in a cage that is already at the minimum does make a difference.

The bottom line is that if you want your pigs happier, they need a bigger space. They may run and popcorn in the smaller cage, but it's not the best for them. My first pig ran and popcorned in a tiny pet storey cage - that didn't make it a good environment for her.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
off topic because everyone judges. One inch less inside measurements than outside isn't like 1 foot. I'm not a teenager i'm a 39 year old that knows a thing or 2.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
No one is judging. We pointed out that your cage is too small. One inch less does actually make a difference to a cage that is already too small.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
47 x 24 x 14 inches-midwest

47 x 23 x 24 inches-mine

It's not way bigger. I fit more in mine than midwest. The pictures i posted is showing left side and right side not counting the middle.

It IS. The Midwest is 8 sq feet. Those measurements are for the outside of your cage, not the inside. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm arguing with you, but I am just trying to let you see that your pigs don't have enough space and its not fair.

couchon

Cavy Slave
The measurements you are giving are ouside measurements. Those are an inch less. That translates into the inside measurements probably being around 2 inches less.

I don't know why you are taking it personally. People are speaking up not to offend you (and I really don't think it matters what age you are - I am an adult, not a teenager either, for what it's worth). People just care about the pigs. I know from personal experience that when I had a 2x3, it seemed huge. Now that I have expanded, I realize it was nowhere NEAR enough room. I had my first cage in a 150 sq foot total apartmet (yes, including the bathroom). Space was a serious issue. It seems like you have several rooms, which is great! Why not give the piggies a nice, big space, rather than trying to figure out whether below the minimum (which is already a small space) is OK or not? 2x3 is not even the preferred amount of space for two pigs.

Why not just go ahead and make them a nice roomy cage? As soon as I moved, I made mine a 3x5, and I am so happy I did :)

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
Well, when they are in there playpen which is 9 sq. feet, they aren't as playful than in their cage.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
off topic because everyone judges. One inch less inside measurements than outside isn't like 1 foot. I'm not a teenager i'm a 39 year old that knows a thing or 2.

We are not judging you, and age is irrelevant. If you actually go and calculate the area, you will find that it makes a big difference.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs choose when to run around, they don't do it on our terms. That's why they need to have a properly sized permanent cage in which to play.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
But guinea pigs are most active at dawn and dusk (or so most people say, mine sleep all day) and so putting them in a playpen for a few hours on YOUR time isn't the same thing. They may not feel like running laps at that time that they're in the playpen, it's also a change from the usual cage which might freak them out a bit. I know if I put Izzy down on the carpet beside the kitchen, she won't move a mm. When I put her in her cage though, she'll trot along into a hidie and it's whatever.

couchon

Cavy Slave
They probably don't run around as much there,because they are not as comfortable there - it's a new environment. Also, if you say your child is in there with them (I am not sure if that's what you meant or if you meant they can just fit there), it probably makes them uncomfortable.

Also, 9 sq ft is not enough for floor time, if your cage is that small. 9sq ft is pretty much the size of a 2x4.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
I'm not taking anything personally and i stated my age because i was being talked to like a child. I keep repeating myself, there are 3 different sizes and measuring the inside, the bottom is barely an inch. Why can't people accept my input as you all want me to accept your advice.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
i said she could fit but she doesn't go in. 9 sq. feet is better than nothing. I can't let them run free and get lost or attacked.

couchon

Cavy Slave
It's hard to accept, because it looks very, very small. I know you are saying ti may be something wrong with the pictures, but if you look at the pigloo and the tunnel and the litter box, there is almost no room left for the pigs.

And just to clarify, when you say you measured it on the inside, do you mean at the very bottom of the tray, because it looks like the cage is not the same diameter on top and on the bottom, even on the inside.

Also, just to clarify an confusion, would you mind just posting the make and model?

And I am not encouraging you to let them run free - I have no room at all for floor time, but a cage that's big enough can eliminate the need for floor time. If floor time is a problem, why not just make a really large cage, like a 3x5 or 3x6?

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
I'm not taking anything personally and i stated my age because i was being talked to like a child. I keep repeating myself, there are 3 different sizes and measuring the inside, the bottom is barely an inch. Why can't people accept my input as you all want me to accept your advice.

The point is, your cage isn't big enough anyway, no matter what you say. We are listening to what you say, and explaining the facts.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
the very bottom is covered with bedding so they aren't below the ledge, it was messed a little in the picture because they were just playing before that. 47" x 23" x 24"
(broken link removed) if i go any larger my other half of wall will be covered, so i bought playpen which is 8- 18 x 20 cage pieces.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
actually it seems my piggies go in hour spirts. run around playing then nap time. not counting eating, they wake for that lol

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
the very bottom is covered with bedding so they aren't below the ledge, it was messed a little in the picture because they were just playing before that. 47" x 23" x 24"
(broken link removed) if i go any larger my other half of wall will be covered, so i bought playpen which is 8- 18 x 20 cage pieces.

Would it be possible for you to just attach the playpen to the cage permanently? That would be a much better situation for your guinea pigs.

nibnskip

Cavy Slave
actually i have there first cage still that is same make but little smaller. i started off with smaller but went bigger.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
actually i have there first cage still that is same make but little smaller. i started off with smaller but went bigger.

It's good that you expanded, but a little irrelevant right now. Would you consider attaching the playpen full-time?
That way you wouldn't have to spend any more money buying a new cage or grids, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.