Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just rescued a Guinea Pig in terrible shape

Sorry I have been out of touch! Here is the update:

Gandalf is doing SO much better, but it was a rocky road. Those mites were extremely persistent and ultimately he needed two doses of Revolution (ten days apart) and then another two doses of Ivomec. I think we are FINALLY rid of them. It wasn't until the last dose of Ivomec that he finally stopped scratching himself bloody. At one point he even ripped out all the hair on his rump. Poor baby.

He was also positive for Ringworm, so he received twice weekly Malaseb shampoos. To combat dry skin, I used Gorgeous Guinea's CocoNeem melt first, shampoo'd that off with the Manuka and Neem shampoo, and then applied the Malaseb shampoo to sit for 10 mins. That really did the trick in terms of preventing him from getting dry, flakey skin from all the bathing.

I can't remember the last time he's had a seizure. He gobbles his pellets and still only eats hay as a last resort, but he does eat it eventually. I'm bedding him on fleece pads and that makes sanitation easy. While he was being treated for ringworm and mites, I bleached the cage twice a week and washed the fleece bedding w/ detergent and bleach (every time I bathed him, so he would go back into a decontaminated cage).

The ringworm seems to be cured, too. He just got his last medicated bath tonight. Throughout all this, he has been quite the trooper and remains very friendly and easy to handle.

Here are updated photos. Can you believe the difference?!

Awwww, what abeautiful boy, and he looks so much better. Thanks goodness you found him and he found you!! Bless You and bless his little heart!

I'm so happy that he is doing wonderful! It's amazing how well these little guys flourish with some TLC! Have you decided whether you're are going to keep him once he's completely better?

Awwww, he looks so good now! He's a lucky boy!

He is a cutie pie! I think he would really benefit from a buddy too after all his infections are gone ofcourse. Good Luck

he is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! He looks so happy and chubby in the pictures, you really did a great job with bringing him back to health. I'm sure he is very, very grateful. The world needs more people like you.

He is gorgeous!

How big is his cage?

He's beautiful! Congrats on all your hard work.

Welcome back! Gandalf looks so peaceful now, he hardly looks like the same boy now that he's all chubby and his fur's on the mend! Nice going, keep up the good work!

Wow, what a difference! He is beautiful.

Thank you for rescuing him and showing him the good life.

There is such a difference! His eyes are even brighter and he looks a lot happier!

He is so gorgeous he is so lucky that you found him. It really is apaulling that his owners could have let him get into such a state. And I agree, Gandalf is a great name hehe.

He is looking much much better. I'm so glad that you found him when you did! Blessings upon you and yours.

Welcome to the forum! :cheerful:

Gandalf is such a handsome boy and I love this name! What a wonderful thing you did, taking him in and giving Gandalf the TLC he deserves.

Great great job NNH, big kudos.

Gandalf has really struck the jackpot with you :) What a lovely good-natured piggy.

I hope he gets better soon! You are so kind to take him in. Are you going to get him a buddy when he's all better? :)

Wow! He looks so much better. Thanks for the update, I'm glad everything is working out.

You saved that piggies life. A job well done. He is so lovely. I love his round belly.

NNH, I love you. ❤️

I want to raspberry Gandalf's belly! I think the name suits him quite well...in the "before" pictures you took, he looked very old. He still has that old look to him, but now it's an old and wise look. The difference in his appearance is amazing.

I was telling my husband about him and you last night and he absolutely refused to look at the before pictures (he is incredibly sensitive to animal and human misfortune and abuse) so I showed him the "after" pics and he said that, not only does the name suit him, but for you to go to such great lengths to heal him makes you nothing less than a Hero (did I say that right?), and I completely agree.

Wow and congragulations that so kind of you! You are a true guinea pig lover!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.