Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Jumping down ramp safe?

betty

Cavy Slave
I just added a loft to Molly's cage. It is about half a grid high. For the ramp I am using 2 of the medium sized bendable fiddlestick things. One is rounded to form a base and the other one is straight from the base to the loft and attached with zip ties. This gives the ramp a very gentle slope.

Molly does not use the ramp properly at all. She takes one or two steps down and then leaps off the side. Probably about a 5 inch jump. I still don't know how she gets up there because I have not seen her go up, only down.

Is it safe for her to jump down, I am worried that it could cause problems for her in the long run.

lissie

Cavy Slave
5 inch jump is fine. My pigs don't use ramp when they had 6" high bunkbed.

Skippie

Cavy Slave
I would be a little worried. Can you use a grid or something else to put up a wall?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
When I had a ramp, the lowest part was 7" off the floor and all four of my pigs navigated it just fine. Unless you have senior/arthritic pigs, or pigs with some other leg/bone issue, I wouldn't be worried. Young pigs aren't fine china... they can jump around just fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.