Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my guinea pig pregnant? please help.

xBlueDaisy

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I got my guinea pig (Daisy) from a friend who
bought her from a pet shop. Either of us had
her with males, I know not to breed them.
She has gotten really big on
both sides of her. She is quite young aswell maybe
3-4 months will this make a difference?

HERE IS A VIDEO OF HER TODAY:

Any answers really appreciated! :)

looks pregnant to me (I don't know how to tell though lol)

It's hard to tell just by looking at her. You will have to watch her closely. Make sure you weigh her -- if you notice significant increases in weight, that could be a sign. Pregnant piggies will generally pick a favorite spot to lay in for long periods of time. They will also start eating/drinking more. For now, since there is a possibility that she could be pregnant, I think you should give her some alfalfa based pellets/hay. I'm definitely not an expert though, so hopefully some other members can help you out as well!

It's hard to tell just by looking at her. You will have to watch her closely. Make sure you weigh her -- if you notice significant increases in weight, that could be a sign. Pregnant piggies will generally pick a favorite spot to lay in for long periods of time. They will also start eating/drinking more. For now, since there is a possibility that she could be pregnant, I think you should give her some alfalfa based pellets/hay. I'm definitely not an expert though, so hopefully some other members can help you out as well!

She definately is! I can feel the babies kicking all day!
How long after i can feel them will she give birth?
Also i havent taken her out incase anyone thinks so
just sitting by her cage :)

She definately is! I can feel the babies kicking all day!
How long after i can feel them will she give birth?
Also i havent taken her out incase anyone thinks so
just sitting by her cage :)

I believe once you feel/see them moving, there is about 3 weeks left of pregnancy. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! Hope everything goes well for your piggy. :)

I had two pregnant piggies that were pregnant when i got them. can you feel hardness in her sides? any kicking? alot of weight gain? thats what happened to my girls. by the end of my white piggie's pregnancy (the 3 babies are a week and a half old now :)) she was making a trench in the paper whereever she went, she could barely walk, and she was drinking ALOT of water. If you really thinkn she is pregnant, look for some good Vitamin C tablets to give as a supplement (dont do a multi-vitamin, i have heard some bad things about those, we used the Daily C tablets by Ox Bow I believe, and my piggies just loved them. It took a while for them to get used to it at first, they didn't want it. then they craved it, and wanted more than just two tablets) I hope everything goes well for your pretty piggie :)

well, I don't think that's true AllThesePiggies. My piggies had kicking in their tummies 6-7 weeks before they had their babies. We thought that they were about to have them, but we were wrong. It took a LOOOOONG time. I noticed one thing though that is helpful, 6 days before they had their babies, there was much more movement, almost like they were "running" in her tummy, and there was a teeth chattering from her belly (especially if you put your ear to her) so I don't think that is true, but every piggie is different. Just dont get your hopes up too much for it to happen in the next three weeks, they seem to have their babies as soon as you stop expecting it (a watched pot never boils, lol)

I believe once you feel/see them moving, there is about 3 weeks left of pregnancy. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! Hope everything goes well for your piggy. :)

Ive heard they give birth in 60-70 days and shes been
out of the pet shop 2 months now? I only noticed
how big she actually was yesterday when I tried to
pick her up and starting giving her vitamin c just incase.
I hope everything goes well! :)

well, I don't think that's true AllThesePiggies. My piggies had kicking in their tummies 6-7 weeks before they had their babies. We thought that they were about to have them, but we were wrong. It took a LOOOOONG time. I noticed one thing though that is helpful, 6 days before they had their babies, there was much more movement, almost like they were "running" in her tummy, and there was a teeth chattering from her belly (especially if you put your ear to her) so I don't think that is true, but every piggie is different. Just dont get your hopes up too much for it to happen in the next three weeks, they seem to have their babies as soon as you stop expecting it (a watched pot never boils, lol)[/QUOTE

There is a crazy amount of movement today, since shes out
of the pet shop two months and I only noticed yesterday ill have
a shorter wait than most! :) thanks for the advice!

Make sure you baby proof whatever cage you're using and sex and remove any males at 21 days or you risk getting mum pregnant again, which is very dangerous.

Ive heard they give birth in 60-70 days and shes been
out of the pet shop 2 months now? I only noticed
how big she actually was yesterday when I tried to
pick her up and starting giving her vitamin c just incase.
I hope everything goes well! :)

You ALWAYS need to be giving your guinea pig vitamin c. They can't produce any on their own and they will get sick without it. They need to be getting 1 cup of veggies per day per pig to make sure they get the vit C they need. c

Make sure you baby proof whatever cage you're using and sex and remove any males at 21 days or you risk getting mum pregnant again, which is very dangerous.

Yeah i definately will, I have baby proofed the cage.
If she has girls can they be kept with her?

You ALWAYS need to be giving your guinea pig vitamin c. They can't produce any on their own and they will get sick without it. They need to be getting 1 cup of veggies per day per pig to make sure they get the vit C they need. c

I have always given her veggies everyday :)
Just got told they need extra vitamin c in particluar
while pregnant.

:) That's great that you're giving her vitamin C. Even if she isn't pregnant (but it really sounds like she is) the vitamin C will just help her be a happy healthy piggie :) PLEASE tell us if/when the babies are born!! I would love to see them! Be sure to look out my thread I will be posting soon of the pics of my baby guinea pigs :)

:) That's great that you're giving her vitamin C. Even if she isn't pregnant (but it really sounds like she is) the vitamin C will just help her be a happy healthy piggie :) PLEASE tell us if/when the babies are born!! I would love to see them! Be sure to look out my thread I will be posting soon of the pics of my baby guinea pigs :)

Yeah i will be very surprised if she isnt pregnant.
I will definately update if/when the babies are born.
Aww! ill have a look, thanks for letting me know! :)

Yes, if she has girls they can be kept with her.

She just had two babies :)When i went to check on
her she started having contractions, she had
them quick and is being a great mother!
im so proud of her :)

Thats awesome! Glad it went well! Do u have pics:)

Took a quick picture today :)
Pretty sure its a girl (right) and a boy, will obviously
check again in a week or two to be sure :)

Attachments

2013-06-22 17.27.58-1.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.