Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing myself, my pigs and my lethal white baby

Lunasea

Cavy Slave
Howdy - I'm a first-time guinea pig owner and have found so much useful information here!

My younger son had been bugging us for a pet forever, so we finally decided on guinea pigs, and adopted Katniss and Peeta from a rescue agency in September 2012, where they were named Hazel and Bunny and were thought to be two females. Oops. We checked when we picked them up, and it was apparent to all of us that Bunny (aka Peeta) was a boy. Katniss was already pregnant when we adopted her, and the rescue agency kindly agreed to neuter Peeta and also take the babies once they were born. We had to keep Peeta and Katniss separate until just recently. They're back together now and seem to be re-bonding well.

The babies were born the first week of November, and our son named them Molly and Jason, although we had no idea what sex they were. It was pretty clear from the beginning that there was something wrong with Jason - he kept walking into things. Pretty soon we figured out that he was deaf and blind, but we'd never heard of Lethal White Syndrome. The babies nursed for about 5 weeks, and then I brought them to the rescue agency. They confirmed what I suspected, that they were both female (hence, Jason is now Snowball), and suggested that Snowball had LWS. We gave Molly back to them to bond with some other guineas they'd just rescued, and we decided to keep Snowball because we'd all bonded with her so much.

The vet confirmed the LWS diagnosis, but fortunately she has all her molars, so she can grind food in the back of her mouth. She has one incisor, which isn't very helpful with eating. The vet told me I didn't really have to worry about trimming the incisor, which is different from what I've read here, so I don't know. I'm adding a pic where you can see her tooth clearly. She's a spunky little thing, a good eater, and purrs sweetly when we pick her up and pet her. We're hoping for the best. She gets tired after eating, though, and almost always sleeps afterward. We adore her. Introducing myself, my pigs and my lethal white babyIntroducing myself, my pigs and my lethal white babyWe call this her "Ooooh Hooooooly Niiiiiiiiight" picture.

The photo of your son is really sweet. My son is 21 but he's loved guinea pigs from the time he was really little. There's always been a guinea pig or two on his lap when he'd be doing reading assignments. He still spends time holding them... Snowball sounds like a special "gift." I think you're all lucky you decided to keep her. Welcome and look forward to reading more....

Touching story. Love the pic w/ your son. Welcome :)

Welcome! Thanks for sharing the pics-we always love seeing new piggies.

You'll find the story of Fairy very interesting -- she may be the most famous lethal white in existence. See (broken link removed).

And welcome to the forum!

So cute! And such a sweet story! Does Snowball share a cage with her parents? Just curious, I've never dealt with a blind or deaf guinea pig, let alone one with both. That is so sweet that you kept her! And unless LWS is special you don't need to trim teeth unless their is an issue, eating hay wears them down for you. ^^

What a touching story! Welcome to the forum. There are many helpful people here who can answer any question you may have.
On a side note I love the Hunger Games names. Katniss and Peeta. I'm a big Hunger Games fan and have actually renamed my two girls from Cookie and Bonnie (which my family named anyways) to Finnick and Annie.
Again welcome to the forum! =)

Your story is so touching. I am so glad that you gave these two animals a loving home.

Also, welcome to the forum. I can see that you already did some research here. You definitely learn lots.

So cute! And such a sweet story! Does Snowball share a cage with her parents? Just curious, I've never dealt with a blind or deaf guinea pig, let alone one with both. That is so sweet that you kept her! And unless LWS is special you don't need to trim teeth unless their is an issue, eating hay wears them down for you. ^^

Yes, they're all in the same cage now. We were worried because poor Peeta has been isolated since September, and once he managed to break free of his cage (a playpen in the kitchen) and find his way over to where Katniss was. But he was got so excited whenever we put him in the cage with them, he'd run right over poor Snowball, who couldn't get away from him because she didn't know he was coming. We watched them carefully for a few days, and scooted him away from her if he was getting too invasive, trying to sniff her butt when she didn't want him to, etc.

Now they all seem pretty calm and have staked out their favorite places to get a break. Snowball likes to nap in the corner of the wooden house we made, and either Peeta or Katniss will snuggle in there with her. Here's a pic I took when I was trying to get a Christmas shot. Snowball will fall asleep wherever she lands, so here it looks like Peeta's going, "Oh geez, the baby's falling asleep on me again."
Introducing myself, my pigs and my lethal white baby

All your piggies are adorable! I just wanna cuddle them all!

And I think it's great how you decided to keep Snowball, even with the issues that seem to come with owning a Lethal White. I know if I ended up with one, my family would try to have me get rid of it.

Hello and welcome. Glad you decided to keep snowball. The pic with your son is so cute. Hope everything goes well for her.

You may very well have to trim her teeth -- the grinding action of the molars which keeps the front teeth worn down only works if the front teeth are normal to begin with. MildredM, Fairy's mom, uses bone rongeurs to trim Fairy's front teeth, which are kind of wonky, and she has to go in for a molar planing every so often.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, great pictures and great story!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.