Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wanted to introduce myself

meldey211

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am a newbie here but I have close to 20 years of experience caring for guinea pigs.
I have the most amazing piggy ever, his name is Trumpet and he is 2 years old. He was surrendered to me along with his brother who passed away 3 months ago. The day after losing his cage mate I received a heavily pregnant female that was abandoned. She ended up giving birth 3 days later and had 3 pups, but unfortunately one was stillborn and one passed the day after birth. The surviving baby was a sweet little boy. Long story short at 4 weeks old I had to separate the baby from his mother. So I thought it would be great for Trumpet to have a buddy again. They got along as if they had known each other for years! So I decided I couldn’t take baby Donald away from Trumpet. So I adopted him.
They have been together for 2 months now and they really do make a wonderful pair!!!!!
I also frequently foster and rescue guinea pigs. I just actually adopted out 9 rescues, 3 adult females and 6 babies.
In late August I came home to find 2 boxes in my driveway that contained 6 piggies. I could not believe how someone could just leave them in an open cardboard box and leave!
After taking them inside I realized that there were 3 females and 3 males. And they were not separated in the boxes.
Immediately I knew that 2 females were very pregnant. I could see the babies moving around. I took them all to the vet to be checked out and I was right about the 2 females being pregnant, and the one was extremely large and the vet said she felt 4. The second one felt like she was carrying one. Luckily the other female was not pregnant, and that was confirmed 3 weeks later just to be sure.
I was immediately able to find a home for the 3 males after knowing they were all healthy.
Only 8 days later both females went into labor a few hours apart. One had 5 pups and the other had a single pup.
I was very lucky to have found 3 amazing homes for the 9 of them. The best part was that the moms both were adopted with their daughters and the “aunt” piggy. There were 4 boys that went in pairs to loving homes!!!!!
Now it’s just me and my boys and I couldn’t be happier!

Attachments

Donald.jpeg Baby Donald.jpeg Trumpet.jpeg Trumpet and Watson.png

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

It's wonderful to have someone new here that has a lot of experience with piggies. You've sure been through a lot with your pigs in a very short period of time!

Again, welcome and glad to have you here!

meldey211

Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

It's wonderful to have someone new here that has a lot of experience with piggies. You've sure been through a lot with your pigs in a very short period of time!

Again, welcome and glad to have you here!
Thank you!!!! I wish I had known about this sooner lol