Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) In need of advice for guinea pig search

Akiira

Cavy Slave
About six months ago one of the pigs from my bonded pair of boars passed away very suddenly. Since then I have been searching for a new friend for him with no luck. Everything I've read has said that because I have a boar I should get a baby boar that way there is less risk of Calcifer being territorial and not taking to the new pig. Well, finding a baby boar that's not from a petstore and I'm not suspicious about being a backyard breeder has turned out to be really hard. At this point I don't know what to do. It feels wrong to let Calcifer be alone much longer, especially since I don't have a ton of time I can spend with him.

I did find one baby boar in my area, but I'm kind of hesitant about it. In the add they said it was an accidental litter, but the prices are kind of high ($80) for someone who just needs extra piggies gone, their pictures came out really well (which for guinea pigs only happens if you have a lot of experience), the ads were posted when the pigs where only 2 weeks old (you're not supposed to separate them from mom until 3), and the two pigs each had separate ad that said the same thing. It sounds a little fishy to me, so I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it.
(broken link removed)

If that one falls through I see myself left with only a few options, and I really don't know which one is best. I could continue waiting and leave Cal alone even longer (but I'm worried about it affecting his health), I could get an older boar and risk it not getting along with him, or I could give in and get a pig from the petstore or a questionable source. I don't like any of those options and I really don't know what to do.

Hey there! You may want to check out Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue. They operate on a foster home basis only but they usually will have some available that are not on the website. They also will make it a priority if it is to pair a lonely pig. Also, all of their sows are spayed, so that may be another option for you.

Thank you! I will contact them.

I had a lone boar and then adopted Penny from MGPR, they will work with you to pair your boar with a spayed sow. Small Angels rescue in Frederick, MD also adopts rescued guinea pigs out. If you have any questions just PM me.

I emailed them, just waiting for a response now. I will look into Small Angels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.