Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Im New :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There is a breeder about an hour away from where i live... maybe he will be convinced when he sees them :p *crosses fingers*

Please do not get them from a breeder or a pet shop, this forum is anti-petshop/breeding and pro-rescue/adoption.

One of the reasons we are against is that they breed the poor sows back to back just for money risking their lives each time they breed them. Think of puppy mills but instead for Guinea Pigs, It is sick, sad and cruel how they treat them and see them just as stock.

So please do not support the pet shops who stock live animals or breeders who risk their lives for money.

There are many many other reasons and examples of how horrible they are, if you read around this forum you will find them out.

Good luck, I'm sure he'll let you get two. When they are by their selves they usually just sit around any way, but when they have a buddy or two they are so amazing and funny to watch.

Please Save an wanted/abused guinea pig that needs a new loving home. :)

snakeyes2

Cavy Slave
From looking around on this site I've seen people say they have gotten cheap grids from goodwill. Congrats on getting a piggie and welcome!

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Yes, please please rescue. If you can't I'd honestly say to wait no matter how long it takes to get one from a rescue and don't buy from a breeder. Breeders are just adding to the overpopulation of guinea pigs, and often treat them badly. So by buying from them you encourage it.

Yes I do agree. I did find this little guy that is for free and the owner is having a hard time finding a home for him.. I love him so much. His name is Boo... kinda fitting for Halloween. I have contacted the owner and hoping to pick him up soon.

I do want to get another one soon.. but with this one being a male it maybe harder.. any ideas how to pair up two males?

Attachments

Boo.JPG
Last edited:

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
It's a myth that you can't pair up boars. The biggest factor is making sure that your cage is large enough, since they need more space than sows to live together peacefully. Boars can be real buddies and love having a friend to play with just as much as sows.

My husband wasn't keen on getting two pigs initially, but he fell in love with our first pig, Mufasa. Poor little guy died in 15 days, so hubby was fine with getting two for the next round. We both love watching them play together. It's better than most of the stuff on TV!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the Introductions section is about halfway down the page.

Just be sure you've got a large cage and two of everything in it. A 2x3 is really small for two boars, despite what the recommendations say. You'd be better off with a 3x4, or better yet, a 3x5. No hideys that have only one entrance or exit, and no ramps so narrow that one pig can trap another.

Plenty of people have boars that live together quite happily -- whole herds of them.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) Piggy update? :)

And yes like the others said it is just a myth that males are more likely to fight, each gender is just as likely to fight as it all depends on the pigs personal personality.
But when your guys get older you will have to start cleaning the perineal sack so they do not get Impaction;
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Oh I hope I'm not to late to comment on this!

PIGGLES GUINEA PIG RESCUE! Google that.

They're located in markham and unionville, and a few other places. I drove from mississauga out there for my two, please look into it. She only adopts out bonded pairs, unless you already have a pig.

In terms of choroplast and grids, if you have an art store called deseres, or even a home depot (although not the most cost efficient at all. a 2x4 cost 36$ in choroplast, as opposed to the 4x8 sheet for 20$ at the art store)

Grids, walmart, home depot, bed bath and beyond, they all have them. Take a look on kijiji for them too. I found grids for $1 a piece once.

I apologize for the late reply, I was out on the east coast with awful internet, now I'm back home :D

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Oh I hope I'm not to late to comment on this!

PIGGLES GUINEA PIG RESCUE! Google that.

They're located in markham and unionville, and a few other places. I drove from mississauga out there for my two, please look into it. She only adopts out bonded pairs, unless you already have a pig.

In terms of choroplast and grids, if you have an art store called deseres, or even a home depot (although not the most cost efficient at all. a 2x4 cost 36$ in choroplast, as opposed to the 4x8 sheet for 20$ at the art store)

Grids, walmart, home depot, bed bath and beyond, they all have them. Take a look on kijiji for them too. I found grids for $1 a piece once.

I apologize for the late reply, I was out on the east coast with awful internet, now I'm back home :D

I adopted two babies someone was giving away. They couldn;t take care of them the way the pigs deserved. So I kinda got what I wanted :) We named them River and Song :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Okay good :) sometimes they mess that up, and it would be awful to have a pregnancy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.