Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm new here, just a little intro

Don't give me the excuse that you think there are no rescues near you. If there are pet stores selling pigs, there are needy pigs.

Actually there are NO Cavy/Guinea pig rescues in the state of Kentucky. That was the first place I checked when we decided to add pigs to our family. I found mine on Craigslist. As a stated in my post above.

I FULLY aware of the breeding problems. AS I SAID I worked with humane Societies, the ASPCA, as well as other local shelters. I started at the age of 10, and continued until I moved away last year. I would love to continue the work. I started doing seizure work when I turned 18. I walked into a puppy/kitten mill, and saw the horrible situations they live in, I smelled death. I saw deformed limbs, cats with no eyes, living in their own feces, and urine. I've smelled urine so bad that I could hardly breath, causing me throw up for hours after the fact. So before you PREACH to me about "Reading in the Kitchen" maybe, just maybe you would read my post again, and realize that, that had nothing to do with what I asked. I asked if what would happen to those 3 pigs that she has opened her heart, home, and family to, had she not purchased them? THEN I asked if we could please move past that, and help her?

Welcome! I hope you use the forum a ton. I know when I first joined there was so much info to take in it was crazy. If one of your pigs happens to be pregnant, I'm sure you will know what to do, but I wouldnt stress about it.

I'm not in any way saying pet stores are good, but not every single pet store pig is pregnant and infested with mites. The reason so many people on this forum have stories like this is because most of them do absolutly no research on their pig until something is wrong with it. They stumble on this site and share their story. Most people with healthy happy pet store pets dont go looking for information on care.

In reading this post I have come to a question. I personal do NOT believe in breeding. I've worked with rescues and other organization. I personally got my 2 pigs off of CraigsList.

Anyway, here is my question to everyone who seems to be downing this person for purchasing her 3 guinea pigs, and in return freaking her out because there is a **POSSIBILITY** they could be pregnant. What if she hadn't purchased them? What would happen to them? Are you saying that these 3 piggies didn't deserve a home just as much as any other pig? Would you have rather some other un-educated person purchase them, stick all 3 of them in a tiny store bought cage, with cedar bedding, and feed them nothing but crap pellet everyday, and then when they "loose interest" throw them out in the garbage? Personally I don't care where she got the pigs from, at least she is TRYING to treat them right, giving them the proper housing, food, and life any pig deserves no matter where they came from, or how they got there! Can we PLEASE move past the "purchase" of her pigs and help her to learn how to properly care for them!

Amen to that! I agree. We tried to get 2 pigs off of Craigslist. Then I searched on Petfinder for guinea pigs and there were NONE close to me. I got 2 guinea pigs from a locally owned Pet Store I've dealt with for 10 years now. I guess the guinea pigs in stores don't deserve good homes.

We are providing a wonderful home for our pigs. We're doing everything we can to do to be educated about their care. We already have a wonderful vet that treats our bird and is fantastic with "exotic" pets.

If a person comes here to learn and gets constantly beat over the head about buying from a pet store they won't stay. In the end it only hurts the guinea pigs. If she is trying to learn from here let her do so. Isn't that what really matters? Learning what is best for our guinea pigs?

Thank you Sarah. Please. I agree, let's move on. What's done is done. I am now fully aware of the reasons why I should not have purchased them in a pet store and why I will never again. It is not a habit of mine, nor will it be. As I said before every pet I've had has found its way to me because it needed a home. I wanted a couple of pets and I went out in search of some this time because I haven't stumbled upon any lately. I realize the error of my ways and I realize I should have been more diligent and patient in looking.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't posted here. I just came to find out the best ways to take care of them and get questions answered that I may have. Which I appreciate, from those who have been helpful. But there's no since in beating a dead horse. I didn't come here to start trouble or to receive it.

You asked questions about sexing them and if they could have parasites since they were scratching.

It's best if you treat them for mites as a precaution, which is what was being said. Even if you did have three females, pet store pigs are often pregnant. Hopefully they aren't but it is something you should be aware of.

If they are babies, you need to baby proof your C&C.

What are you feeding them?

If there is a feed store near you, you can usually buy bedding there cheaper but fleece is economical too.

I asked if what would happen to those 3 pigs that she has opened her heart, home, and family to, had she not purchased them? THEN I asked if we could please move past that, and help her?

Well, ideally the pet store loses out on a purchase, three less pigs are bred and the op finds three other guinea pigs to adopt. What about the three other homeless pigs that could have been adopted instead? That's all I'm saying.

I know of some people in KY that have rescued pigs via piggie trains. It is do-able.

Aw don't say that 3newpiggies!. This is just a spirited bunch! All you do about possibility having a pregnant piggy is wait and see. No use freaking out and stressing over it. If you do you'll soon know and there is plenty of info here for you!
Just keep an eye on your pigs, feed them, love them and if you expand your little pig family you'll know more info about adoption!

Last edited:
Thank you Sarah. Please. I agree, let's move on. What's done is done. I am now fully aware of the reasons why I should not have purchased them in a pet store and why I will never again. It is not a habit of mine, nor will it be. As I said before every pet I've had has found its way to me because it needed a home. I wanted a couple of pets and I went out in search of some this time because I haven't stumbled upon any lately. I realize the error of my ways and I realize I should have been more diligent and patient in looking.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't posted here. I just came to find out the best ways to take care of them and get questions answered that I may have. Which I appreciate, from those who have been helpful. But there's no since in beating a dead horse. I didn't come here to start trouble or to receive it.

Your very welcome! I feel that irregardless of how the animal was acquired they all need loving homes, and I know that you will do what is necessary to provide for your 3 piggies to the best of your abilities! You will find that in-spit of some very spirited personalities we all have one thing is common and that is a love for piggies, and a wealth of knowledge!

Congratulations again! and welcome!

Hello 3newpigs.hope you are ok.
Im sure your new pigs are very happy in their new home,and i bet they will be loved lots, and very well looked after.Just the same as my pet store guineapigs are xxxxx

You asked questions about sexing them and if they could have parasites since they were scratching.

It's best if you treat them for mites as a precaution, which is what was being said. Even if you did have three females, pet store pigs are often pregnant. Hopefully they aren't but it is something you should be aware of.

If they are babies, you need to baby proof your C&C.

What are you feeding them?

If there is a feed store near you, you can usually buy bedding there cheaper but fleece is economical too.

Well the thing is only one of them is scratching. Since they've been housed together if one had it, shouldn't they all? I have no problem with treating them, could someone help me out with the dosage?

What does baby proofing consist of? Right now the bottom and sides are cardboard because I was waiting for my coroplast to come in, from the sign store that gave me the cheapest quote. They were out and we've had inclimate weather so their shipment was delayed. Since they're little and I didn't want them to get their heads stuck, I made the cardboard sides 10" high. They don't chew on the cardboard or try to climb over it at all. I used a large sheet of cardboard that my husband brought home from work and cut it just like you do the coroplast. I keep changing the towels before the cardboard can get wet. Tomorrow I can get my coroplast.

I am feeding them an alfalfa based plain pellet right now, which I figured was okay since they're still young. It's Sunseed brand which may not be the BEST but the ingredients looked okay. I located a store that sells oxbow so I'll get that next time. Romaine, a spring mix, green pepper, they've had carrot once, apple once.... I didn't buy a huge assortment of veggies right off the bat because I was afraid they wouldn't like them so I've been introducing them slowly. But they knew exactly what to do with the veggies from day one. And there's the hay. Keeping it available to them at all times. I got it from a horse farm.

As for the bedding I've been using fleece and towels. It seems to be working well. I just sweep off the poo a couple of times a day. I might use bedding when we go away for a weekend and I have someone coming to feed them. I will check the feedstores, thanks for that tip!

She's already bought the three pigs. It's not like she's going to return them. Since she already has them lets offer our best advice and stop condoning her on buying from a pet store. I don't support that either but now that we all spoke up about it, there probably won't be a reoccurance in the future.

Sorry! Didn't see the second page. How do I delete this?

Are you saying that these 3 piggies didn't deserve a home just as much as any other pig?

I guess the guinea pigs in stores don't deserve good homes.

I feel that irregardless of how the animal was acquired they all need loving homes...
No one has said anything to the contrary, and while I can't speak for the other members here, I believe it's fairly safe to assume that most members would agree that no matter where the pig (or other animal) comes from, they all deserve to be loved and to be given a good home. The trouble with buying from the pet store is that in the process of giving that one or two or three a good home, you are absolutely ensuring that at least that many more will enter into the cycle of back-to-back breeding and cruelty, and that it will continue, every day, over and over again, until someone wises up and steps up to say - no more. These are living things that are being sold as merchandise - like you'd sell a piece of furniture or a pair of earrings. Don't you feel they deserve more respect than that? If the answer is yes, then the only way to say that to the breeders and the pet stores is to stop buying them as merchandise.

That said, yes, this poster has her pigs and hopefully they are well on their way to becoming much loved and much valued family pets that can be appreciated for the individuals that they are. There's no going back and I think it's important to focus on going forward - but I hope that this thread (and so many others) can serve as a lesson who might be on the fence about buying from a pet store versus adopting from a shelter/rescue or private rehome.

Actually there are NO Cavy/Guinea pig rescues in the state of Kentucky.
So? That doesn't mean they aren't available at shelters/rescues, or that there aren't guinea pig rescues within driving distance. I used to live in Kentucky, actually, and I did a search on Petfinder, using my old zip code - 42701. Here's what I found:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Here are some pigs at facilities near Kentucky:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Would it require more energy and effort than going to the local pet store? Sure. But wouldn't it be worth saving a life rather than putting more at risk?

Well the thing is only one of them is scratching. Since they've been housed together if one had it, shouldn't they all? I have no problem with treating them, could someone help me out with the dosage?
Here's info in ivermectin, dosing, etc. There are some other links to other treatment, like Revolution. It won't hurt to treat if they don't have mites.

What does baby proofing consist of?
Overlapping grids, mostly. Here's a link to the galleries with baby proofing photos for tips and ideas.

In reading this post I have come to a question. I personal do NOT believe in breeding. I've worked with rescues and other organization. I personally got my 2 pigs off of CraigsList.

Anyway, here is my question to everyone who seems to be downing this person for purchasing her 3 guinea pigs, and in return freaking her out because there is a **POSSIBILITY** they could be pregnant. What if she hadn't purchased them? What would happen to them? Are you saying that these 3 piggies didn't deserve a home just as much as any other pig? Would you have rather some other un-educated person purchase them, stick all 3 of them in a tiny store bought cage, with cedar bedding, and feed them nothing but crap pellet everyday, and then when they "loose interest" throw them out in the garbage? Personally I don't care where she got the pigs from, at least she is TRYING to treat them right, giving them the proper housing, food, and life any pig deserves no matter where they came from, or how they got there! Can we PLEASE move past the "purchase" of her pigs and help her to learn how to properly care for them!

Your right. All pigs deserve a good home, BUT think about this scenario. You buy a pig from a pet store,thinking your doing whats best. But your not. You are just making room for another pig from the SAME terrible terrible breeding mill conditions,supporting them. If people stop buying pigs,they will stop selling them. If people continue buying,they will continue selling. You are contributing to probably one of the most cruel inhumane places. Don't believe me? PETA did an undercover investigation on petsmart/petco and where they get their animals, google it.

EDIT: Sorry:blush: paula. I didn't see your post.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I used to live in Kentucky, actually, and I did a search on Petfinder, using my old zip code - 42701. Here's what I found:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Here are some pigs at facilities near Kentucky:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

I used to live in Kentucky, also. (Burlington, to be exact--right where the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is located.) Depending on what part of Kentucky she's in, (I lived in Northern Kentucky--literally ten minutes from Cincinnati, Ohio and about half an hour from Indiana) she could check in nearby states.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's always great to see folks join up that are willing to research and learn as much as they can.

I will say it's disappointing that you opted to buy from a pet store even after having done research and knowing full well how many homeless guinea pigs there are that you could have given a good home to instead of contributing to the cruelty of pet stores. We often hear that there aren't any rescues/shelters nearby, so folks "have" to buy ... And it simply isn't true. It might call for more patience and persistence, but there are surely pigs in need of a good home in your area.

That said, what's done is done, and I hope you learn lots while you're here and enjoy your stay.

Sorry Paula but I don't quite agree,sure you shuold have bought it from a rescue but like you I have no rescues in my area and that was my excuse too. Don't listen to the people that are always nagging peple to do everything "perfectly," at least that's what I did!

So Welcome and enjoy!

I am feeding them an alfalfa based plain pellet right now, which I figured was okay since they're still young. It's Sunseed brand which may not be the BEST but the ingredients looked okay. I located a store that sells oxbow so I'll get that next time. Romaine, a spring mix, green pepper, they've had carrot once, apple once.... I didn't buy a huge assortment of veggies right off the bat because I was afraid they wouldn't like them so I've been introducing them slowly. But they knew exactly what to do with the veggies from day one. And there's the hay. Keeping it available to them at all times. I got it from a horse farm.

As for the bedding I've been using fleece and towels. It seems to be working well. I just sweep off the poo a couple of times a day. I might use bedding when we go away for a weekend and I have someone coming to feed them. I will check the feedstores, thanks for that tip!

Sounds good! I order from (broken link removed) online. I find that the shipping is the cheapest. You can get larger bales of hay, and big bags of food as well. They're food and hay are very good quality. Although Oxbow is great as well. I bought Oxbow when I had rabbits.

As far as bedding, I would use Carefresh if you can find it (you can order it from Sweet Mead Farms as well) Everything else sounds good to me!:D

Alright... You know what, this is getting STUPID!!!! Honestly people, I don't know how you keep so many members! So she made a mistake, so she didn't spend hours, upon hours searching the internet for someplace out of state to drive 10 hours like your perfect self to adopt a couple guinea pigs. You know some people aren't that fortunate, and maybe just maybe she didn't know about Petfinder. When I went to petfinder they had 2 pigs for adoption at a shelter. I contacted that shelter and waited 10 DAYS and got no response from them on the pigs, so thats when I went to Craigslist.

I would like to know how to delete my account with this forum. This is flat out ridiculous, and un called for. Where are the mods????? Honestly I believe there is this law against HARASSMENT and I believe some have nearly crossed it! I'm positive there are other forums out there that have the same amount of GOOD knowledge as there is here, WITHOUT all the harassment and "better than tho" attitudes!

3 new pigs, I'm PMing you my email address if you would like to talk more!

EEK! Let's not have this turn into "one of those threads!" LOL. Seriously, this is a new piggie owner looking for good, solid advice. Everyone makes mistakes. The point is to learn from them and move on.

To 3NewPigs - Don't get freaked out by maybes and what ifs. Locate a good vet and take them in for a visit to calm your fears and to ensure their good health and verify any pregnancies.

I have store bought GPs because here in RSA there is literally no rescue place that keeps them. Cats and dogs seem to be the animal of choice here.

So 3newpigs, don't be upset by the chastising you are getting from this forum. Just accept that you made a choice that was not in the best interest of their "charity project" and move on.

Take the info from this site, look after your new family additions to the best of your ability and don't worry about the people who find pleasure in giving you hek because you made a different choice to them.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.