Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm a wildlife killer!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I just feel awful. I accidently ran over a racoon last night. It was late at night and he ran right in front of me; I had no time to stop! By the feel and sound of the impact, there is no way he made it. I was absolutely hysterical last night and I feel so awful and guilty. Is it normal to feel THIS distraught about running over a racoon?? Has anyone else had this experience??

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Awww... I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! All I can say is that you did what you could, and there's nothing else you could have done. It was an unavoidable accident and not something to beat yourself up about. I totally understand how you feel though, since it's honestly one of my greatest fears, so I'd be right there bawling along with you. :hug:

zambonigirl

Cavy Slave
I was on the freeway one morning when I ran over a dog. A big dog. The people behind me ran over it, too, it didn't have a chance, but I felt horrible. I had to call one of my Sergeants and have him come to the parking lot and get me. He sent a deputy to get my truck cleaned, and I cried for a while at my desk. This was about seven years ago, and it still upsets me.

Sometimes, it's unavoidable.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
Sometimes accidents like this cannot be helped. For most people that try to swerve away form animals on the road end up in bigger accidents and could possibly put their own lives in danger. I know of a person who tried to swerve away from a fox on the road, her car flipped into a ditch. She is now paralyzed in both of her legs. If you are going to fast to avoid an animal on the road, then is better to what most of us would not think of doing, but your own life is just as important and some things cannot be avoided. When I was two my dad actually ran over our own pet dog while backing into the driveway. I was only two but I still remember that day as if it was yesterday. Hope you feel better soon. Its hard when something like this happens.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
That's really sad, but Sugar & Spice makes an excellent point.

Unfortunately there's just nothing you can do about it. I was in the passenger seat of a car recently when my friend ran over a rabbit. There was absolutely nothing she could have done, she was going at a regular speed, there was no one else on the road, and it seemed like it literally waited for her before running under the wheels so fast I thought it was a leaf.

She immediately looked at my to see my reaction because she knows how obsessed I am with animals, but of course I wasn't going to upset her more when there was nothing she could have done about it.

Don't feel bad, it just happens and it's better that you were safe instead of swerving and getting hurt.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Thanks you guys. All of your responses made me feel alot better. I don't feel like I'm overreacting anymore. Especially since a couple of you had stories so much sadder than mine, it makes me feel a little relieved that at least it wasn't an animal that was someone's companion. But I just keep thinking I wish it were a possum rather than a racoon. Racoons are just so cute, and possums are like the trailer trash of the animal world. Doesn't make much sense because animals are animals, but I can't help thinking that in the back of my brain. I guess you all are right, these things just happen sometimes. Thanks guys.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I get so upset over hitting squirrels. You are not alone in this. I even hate rainy nights when all the frogs and toads are out on the road!!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Poor you! Don't worry, it's not your fault! It was probably a quick death.

purrrfect piggy

Cavy Slave
You arent silly at all for feeling bad. I almost ran over a rabbit and I thought I was going to cry. But things do happen. So dont feel too bad, some people are mean and actually do it on purpose. You poor thing!

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Oh, don't feel bad. I know that is easier said than done though. We used to live in a rural area and at night I got into the habit of riding the center line at about 35 miles an hour so that I could try to miss the inevitable animal that would dart out. Sometimes it seems the more you try to miss them, the more they run under your car. If you had panicked and swerved, you could have been killed. I hope you feel better soon.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Have you guys seen that TV commercial about how a woman ran over a deer and the insurance company got to it right away and she could enjoy her Thanksgiving dinner ? It's just crazy, I know if I saw someone running over an animal or ran over an animal myself I'd be too devastated to eat, let alone have a feast! Some people just don't have a conscience! You caring about what happened makes you a lot better person than that woman. I wouldn't say that TV commercial script in a commercial even if they paid me!

3littlepigs

Cavy Slave
I know exactly how you feel. I hit a squirrel on the way to a friends house for lunch a couple of years ago. I remember I cried for at least an hour afterwards, and my hands would not stop shaking. It was the same situation though, the poor squirrel ran right in front of me, I did not even have a chance to swerve. So, I do know how you feel. Sadly, these things happen. Please don't blame yourself.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Once I was driving with my mom and she ran over a squirrel. We both felt horrible for a really long time. You don't need to feel bad though. Accidents happen and this one was pretty much unavoidable.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
You guys are the best. I feel so much better with your words of comfort and reassurance. And I feel better as the days pass. I'm so mad at that raccoon! Why didn't he look before he ran out?!?!? It's not too hard to spot a car with headlights late at night!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.