Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I thought Craigslist was bad!!!

Irishmoon

Cavy Slave
So I'm pretty new to this site and I come onto the forum daily and I see a lot of people reference kijiji.com alot. So yesterday I was bored and decided to check the site out to see if it was really as bad as Craigslist. Let me just say that I think it's 10 times worse and it ticked me off so bad I was mad for hours after browsing the pets section in my area. Seriously, some of the prices people were charges for dogs and cats is ridiculous!!! I have 2 AKC pure bred dogs and I would never imagine spending the kind of money these wahoos were asking. For example a Goldendoodle is a mut (yes they are cute but are still a mut) and people were charging over $500 a pup. Or how about $800 for a wolf hybrid which by the way are illegal in my city.

But what really got me as a Silver Chocolate Lab that these people claims was AKC approved. I own a chocolate lab and the American Kennel Club only recognizes Chocolate, Black, and Yellow. You can not reigster your "silver" lab, it will show as a chocolate lab. People are just..........ggggrrrrrr. And what's more, there are people out there who fall for this crap and dish out hundreds if not thousands of dollars for these dogs. And then you have the cats, $250-$400 for cat? Really? Don't get me wrong I love my cat, but $250? Thats crazy.

I guess Im so mad because the site really made me realize that the people who do this DO NOT care about their dogs/cats. They just want them to produce litter after litter of money makers. I know that pretty much probably 99.9% of the people on this forum agree with me, but let me know your thoughts. I just really had to vent and get that off my chest. Thanks.

Kiji openly allows breeders. Craigs list does not. I think that is the problem - breeders post on CL but they are flagged off usually. Kiji, they stay.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason but it still makes me really mad, at least on CL that crap can get flagged.

Forgive me if I'm interpreting your post wrong, but it sounds to me like you're upset that people on Kijiji are marketing animals that aren't showable as what they're being sold as, or that they're selling "mutts," or charging too much for the purebred they're selling. Actually, the bigger problem is that there's such a demand for these types of animals that the breeders continue to disregard the health and well being of their pets and continue to breed "silver labs" or "goldendoodles."

I frankly don't care what they might show as or how much the going rate might be for them, I care that while there are people breeding these animals and advertising on Kijiji or Craigslist or wherever, there are countless others dumped and facing death in shelters. I care that many of those buyers can't be bothered to check the shelters for a perfectly qualified companion animal and instead are paying a breeder for these designer animals.

Paula you hit it right on the head with your whole post. I was just so angry writing the post that I couldn't get all the words out. My part about the people who actually fall for the "designer" breeds that are out there could find pets in another place other than breeders. It amazes me that I find purebreds and designer breds in shelters all the time because people grow bored or come up with a lame excuse to get rid of their animal. I know it will never happen but I wish breeding was regulated, but if this country can't even control puppy mills and backyard breeding, you know they aren't going to do anything about your average joe breeding their dogs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.