Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I got a kitten :D

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
She's so cute and fluffy and soft! And she thinks she's a parrot 8D
She's sleeping on my shoulder right now lol
She's a long haired calico with green eyes.

She's only about four or five weeks old though and didn't know how to drink out of a bowl when I got her, trying to get her to eat wet food by mixing it with milk replacer. She just licked around the food though lol

I almost ran her over at 2:00 am on my way home from work, going way too fast down a back road... So I turned around and picked her up. She stank like a barn and was all wet from the rain.

She was terrified the first night, but after that, she was more concerned with getting fed and being warm and snuggled. I noticed that she has a slight limp in her left hind leg, and I found out that she has a healing broken femur. It's to the point where it would need to be re-broken to fix it.

She also has a respiratory problem, like all barn kittens, and gooey eyes. Since she's been here, her eyes have cleared up immensely! Her breathing is getting better too C:

I'm stuck between the names Blacktop Bast (or Bastet) and Freya the Not Fractured, although her leg was broken so that doesn't really work.. Some one also suggested Speedbump Squish haha

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
She's beautiful! I'm glad you turned around and picked her up. Hate to think of the poor girl wandering around especially with that injury.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm not much of a cat person, but that is one cute kitty! I'm glad that you went back and rescued her!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I remember one of our family vets said the respitory issues are one of the top 5 reasons cats came into her office. We had to change the type of litter we were using and everything.(this was when I lived at home)

She's adorable! Have you ever tried once of those pet water fountains? Our cats went nuts with one of those and drank so much more than they did previously.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Good for you to go back and rescue that little sweety! I like Squishy for a name. It makes me think of the jellyfish part of "Finding Nemo" when Dory says, "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy."

petgal49

Cavy Slave
So glads you found her! Did you take her to the vet?

pinky

Cavy Slave
What's her prognosis with her leg? What did the vet say about repairing the break? Poor thing. I hope they'll be able to reset the leg properly.

Skippie

Cavy Slave
Aw! Congrats! I love kitties! She is adorable and I am so glad you rescued her! Did you make sure there weren't other kittens or a mom around? Sometimes the mom gets hit by a car crossing the road and the kittens wander around. Sad, but true. I would hate to think there are others still out there.
She is a total doll!I like the Bastet name..I'm just saying!

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
I haven't taken her to the vet yet. I'm going to call the vet in DePere that goes to Petco for discount check-ups and ask her if she thinks she'll be able to take a look at her there, or if I should make an appointment. She's a great vet with a lot of experience. I'm also gonna need to de-worm her for sure, and then all our other cats and dogs too, just in case.

I'm thinking she got stepped on by one of the goats or cows at the farm she most likely came from.

She's adorable! Have you ever tried once of those pet water fountains? Our cats went nuts with one of those and drank so much more than they did previously.
We haven't, but I really want to! They're so expensive though :c

I didn't see any other glowing eyes in the dark, or hear anything. Technically I did run her over, I just didn't hit her at all because she was in the middle of the lane and too panicked to bolt, thank goodness. For some reason she was just laying in the road. I thought she got hit because I saw a long pink strand coming out from under her, which I thought was her intestines, and I was so glad it was just a worm crossing the road. I've never been so happy to see a worm in my life!

Good for you to go back and rescue that little sweety! I like Squishy for a name. It makes me think of the jellyfish part of "Finding Nemo" when Dory says, "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy."
That's awesome! I completely forgot about that scene xD I think Squish will stay as a nickname, we picked Freya c: Except we changed it to "the Fractured" because of her leg, which hasn't been bothering her to much. It healed pretty straight on its own.

Now that she's getting healthy and playful, she keep trying to chew on my hand. She's not interested in string, but give her something she can tackle, claw, and bite... lol And she's a little purr machine.

A little update on her:
I got her to eat wet food! Since she started chewing on my fingers, I put a little wet food on my finger and she ate it. Now that she knows it's food, she eats it like crazy. It was a little counterproductive to trying to teach her not to bite me, but at least she's eating. She did some hard play with a jingly cylinder-shaped toy with feathers on the ends too. She loves that thing. Hopefully that will be her new chew toy. I think that's it c:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
She really is a beautiful kitten. I am glad you went back for her. It really would be wise to get her vet checked. You need to rule out distemper or feline luekemia. Plus her leg should be looked at.
Keep us posted on her.

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
I will be getting her tested for feline luekemia, although it's never been a problem up here. I'm going to go to the humane society to do that because the test will only cost my $25 instead of the $50 it costs at a clinic. That same clinic does spaying and distemper and rabies vaccines together for $50 only :D It's two hours away but I think it'd be worth it, and getting her chipped for $10. I couldn't find a HS that will front declaw though and the kitten my sister rescued costed nearly $300 to front declaw, so I'm going to try to avoid that... That's more than the security deposit for her apartment! If Freya does end up being a furniture scratcher, I can always get those nail caps.

Next Wednesday she'll be getting looked at by the vet. Her name is Dr. Sarah Wolfe and she does great with small exotic mammals and small animals.

GusGusandOreo

Cavy Slave
Very beautiful kitty :)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Ohhh, please don't declaw the kitten! You can do positive reinforcement training to get her to scratch posts instead of furniture and stuff. At least give it a try!

The claws help them to dig into the post and stretch muscle groups, which is important to overall fitness.

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
I know how to get cats to stop scratching, it's just that a lot of places will not allow cats if they aren't at least front declawed :c

A lot of humane societies don't declaw, at least up here, anymore and I think that's very detrimental to the cats they have, especially for kill shelters. A lot of people who want cats live in apartments, and since most apartments require front declaws, they can't adopt from a shelter unless there was a cat surrendered that was declawed. I think it's better for the cat to not have front claws and have a home than die because it couldn't get adopted because it needed to be declawed. Until apartments remove that policy, I don't think shelters should stop declawing.

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
I can't figure out how to edit my post :/
But here's another picutre o3o
She's sleeping with her mouth open lol
She let me clip her nails while she was sleeping too

Jocelyn3113

Cavy Slave
I know how to get cats to stop scratching, it's just that a lot of places will not allow cats if they aren't at least front declawed :c

A lot of humane societies don't declaw, at least up here, anymore and I think that's very detrimental to the cats they have, especially for kill shelters. A lot of people who want cats live in apartments, and since most apartments require front declaws, they can't adopt from a shelter unless there was a cat surrendered that was declawed. I think it's better for the cat to not have front claws and have a home than die because it couldn't get adopted because it needed to be declawed. Until apartments remove that policy, I don't think shelters should stop declawing.

Really apartments that ask for declawed cats? Wierd.
Suggestion try soft paws, they work great and they can save your furniture! And they come in fun colours!
Shes adorable by the way ! :)

Skippie

Cavy Slave
She is very cute! Please do not declaw though! I have never heard of an apartment that makes you declaw. Many places have banned it completely. I work in cat rescue and please take my word for it that you do not want to declaw. The kitty is far more likely to have permanent damage and even refuse to use a litterbox afterwords. We get a LOT of cats who after being declawed, the owner no longer wants them because they potty outside the litterbox. Apartments usually charge a one-time or small monthly fee for cats. Declawing is literally like breaking each of your fingers at the tip, re-aligning them, and fusing them together. It is extremely painful, totally unnecessary, and very inhumane. We have also many owners who did that to a cat and their bond was broken because of it. She has been through enough already! Just continue to trim her nails. You can even also Soft Paws nails caps and train her. Honestly though, we have never once had any issue with just trimming nails. Research online about declawing, its not pretty. Also, I have lived in three cities and in apartments in each one and never been told to declaw. If fact, that would be illegal in some places. There is a reason so many places will not longer declaw. Don't forget, MANY cats get loose from the house and without nails, she will get ripped to pieces. Today, declawing is considered unethical and inhumane and results in so many cats becoming killed when they get loose or euthanized when they start having behavioral issues because of the procedure. Remember, shelters and rescues are extremely experienced with animals and there is a reason they don't like declawing! Vets too!

That being said, I am very glad you rescued her. However, I encourage to do your research. Take her to a vet and get her checked out. That paw needs to be looked at. Even if it appears to be healing fine to the naked eye, it doesn't mean it won't have permanent damage. Don't declaw. Give her a good, happy, healthy life and I know she'll love you for it!

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I have a cat who does everything in his power to be naughty (including scratching furniture) and I LOVE nail caps. They work great and he doesn't even know they are on. With my other cat just giving her a sisal scratching post keeps her from scratching the furniture.

dahowlers

Cavy Slave
I understand what declawing is and I don't want to declaw, but if I have too, then I don't have a problem with it. However, if they want me to declaw I will ask about using nail caps instead.

Declawing is not banned here and it is required in almost every apartment or house for rent, that is an unfortunate fact. That doesn't mean I'm going to jump on declawing her, if they let me do an alternative, I will, even if it costs a little more. Trust me, I don't want her to go through losing her distal phalanges if she doesn't have to.

Now that she's healthier, she doesn't sleep! The first two days I had her, all she did was eat and sleep. Now she just runs and hops and rolls and eats and runs xD
She also looks much older now that she isn't all sickly and frail. She's getting much better at not chewing on my hands and still thinks she's a parrot c:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What about the broken leg?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.