Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I feel like a bad cavy mom this week or wheek...

janetangel

Cavy Slave
The other night I got home late from the stables and did not get the girls out for free play time. The next day both piggies wheeked me out, saying YOU WILL NOT LEAVE US IN HERE AGAIN TONIGHT. I made sure they got out and had some fresh veges waiting.
I hate to admit this one, but today after work when I checked on them I got wheeked out again. They had run out of water. I felt really bad for that one. I just gave the geckos more water the night before, checked on the birds and the girls who had some, but I did not fill it up. That lesson was well learned. It is summer, when it gets low fill it up. Duh!
Tonight Brownie help me feel better. When one of the chihuahuas barked, it scared her. Instead of running into her pigloo I had out for free play time, she ran right over to me and stayed real close. I felt a little forgiven. Forgiving myself will take a bit longer.:guilty:
They are happy now, their cage is clean, they have fresh veges, hay, pellets AND fresh water. They also spent extra time out with my husband and me. So long they even fell asleep.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad! Your pigs are fine and happy; a little change in routine upset them a bit but they'll forgive you instantly. It's not like they hold a grudge against people because they forgot to do something or have been a bit busier than usual!

I've have been avoiding my 4 pigs for 3 days now. I've been full of this horrid flu bug that is going around at the moment, so have been limiting all interaction with the pigs. I even sleep in a different room (the pigs are in my bedroom so I have moved out until I am better - for their sake and mine).
I clean their cage 3 days ago and it urgently needs cleaning out completely today. It is draining at the best of times!
Over the last 3 days they have had only 3 veggie salads when they should have had 6. They have had only 20 minutes floor time in the last 3 days.
I gave them loads of fresh hay, water and pellets yesterday; I felt 10 times worse afterwards (hayfever/sensitivity to hay and dust) but at least they have the most important things sorted.
And to top it all off, it is Tuppy's birthday today so am having to spoil her from a distance.

So don't feel bad. Things can't stay perfect all the time and the pigs have clearly forgotten about it already, so don't go stressing yourself out over nothing!

Last edited:

JennG

Cavy Slave
I think we've all experienced stuff like that. You may want to keep an extra water bottle in their cage. I had four but one broke (for six girls). I need to go out and get another two bottles (one for replacement only). I'm sure alittle extra loving and they'll be fine.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Thank Guys. I still feel bad. If I had a water line in there I could hook up the waterer like my dogs and cats have.
I have to go to the store today anyway, so I will pick up another water bottle.
I was raised that animal needs come first along with kids needs. So in this house the animals and kids are taken care of better than my husband and me :D . Actually taking care of them is part of taking care of me since I get so much joy out of my children and animals.
CCC I hope you get better really soon. The flu really sucks and all you have been thru recently, that just tops the cake. On the other hand your body says, I need rest give it to me.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
That's one reason I try to keep my cages even larger than the recommended sizes on here. They don't get out for floor time everyday and some of them don't even get out every other day. Some don't like to come out of their cage though and will spend the whole time hiding or trying to get back to their cage. Rolo has climbed 3 grids high to try to get into her cage. The ones that do like to come out get floor time the most and some of the others only about once a week. They are still quite happy, healthy, and far better off than they would be in their former homes.

I also have enough water bottles in the cages to last 2-3days even in hot weather and refill at least 1 of the bottles daily whether it's empty or not. I never know when I'll get home and lately I've been so busy I get home at 9pm and only get to use the internet when taking a break from the heat while at the stable or at 2-3am if I can't sleep.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
They do get a lot of exercise in their cage as well. It is 2.5 feet by 5 feet and I am working on the second level once I figure out what I am doing. I did pick up another water bottle today, so that should not happen again. During the summer when I ride later in the evening I will probably get them out more every other night rather than every night. Tonight I rode for a long time with an old friend. I got home late and gave them their veges. They are happy. I know I will have them out tomorrow because I go thru withdrawals without them out to play.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
On good days I haul them to the stable with me. I'm there all day so what's the point leaving them home alone when I can have them with me and check on them constantly. We have a guinea pig proofed stall with mesh wire across the bars and bird netting over the top to keep any critters out. They love to play in a 12x12 horse stall for the day. Problem is so far this year we've only had a handful of nice days. The rest are either too cold or way too hot.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
That's funny they get to go with you. I am lucky on the weekends my husband and boys are home most of the time. For me the stables would not be a good place for them. There are a lot of guinea hens, peacocks and pigeons there. They get in the stalls too, sometimes with the horses.
It was halarious one time when a pigeon was sitting on the back of one of the horse's rump. The mare had no idea what to do. She kept looking back to see what was there, wiggled around a little, and could not understand why I was laughing so hard. She did not want to hurt the bird, just was not sure why the bird kept walking around on her back and was not sure what she should do with it.
If I could take my piggies to work with me I would do that in a heart beat. That would be cool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.