Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) I don't know what to do help!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Oh delightful!! As to what all the running was about--it was probably your piggies doing zoomies, or quick laps around the cage. If you keep a path clear around the edges, and put your cage furnishings toward the middle, they will be able to run these quick laps. Lots of times one is chasing the other. You are lucky if they do zoomies!! My piggies only run (aside from sudden loud noises) under one specific circumstance: Tufty decides to have a little fun by lunging at Badger and then Badger runs for dear life, with Tufty hot on his heels. If I'm there Badger will run up to me and Tufty will stop and wait. I think both of your piggies, being youngsters, will like to run. But my Badger just never did.
Here's a linguistic note on Pip and Pop: It will be interesting to see if you can get your piggies to recognize their names, because they are rather similar. My piggies do (well, Tufty is not always reliable in responding to his, but Badger always does. ) Piggies have good auditory discrimination, but whether they can discriminate human words differing by only one vowel, with the consonants the same, is an open question. I knew someone with a pair of dogs named Molly and Polly, and those dogs could discriminate many different English commands, but they could never distinguish their two names--they sounded too similar!! However, the i and o sounds (/I/ and /a/ in phonetic terms) are more different from one another than m and p, so there is a chance the piggies will be able to learn the difference. I hope you can teach them!! Give Pip a treat when she comes to her name but not when she comes to the other name, and similarly with Pop.

Enjoy those little piggeroos! You will learn as much as they are learning in their new home, no doubt, when you observe their behavior.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
In the Picture you can see (broken link removed)
Poppa is 2nd from the right (one with the most white)
Pippa is one of the black satins. (Don't know which one.)
Hope it works!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
An easier way to show the pic is to copy and paste the IMG code on the left like this:

And there will be text there until you post. When you post your img will be there instead of the text.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
oh Thank you so much!! Any ways, just a quick update, last night they were so crazy! I think they were chasing each other and doing laps while squeeking like this: Happy Pig
Kept me up most of the night, but that's ok. I know you're not really supposed to give guinea pigs those mineral rock things but some one gave me one and I used it. It is attached by a string on the side of the cage and they went crazy nibbling and swinging it around. I woke up this morning and found Pippa sitting in her food bowl. Just so you have an idea as to their size, she fitted in a 4.5 inch wide bowl. Then she peed and pooped in there. -_- ...thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
Mineral stones contain salt, calcium and minerals and are really bad for guinea pigs.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
I sucessfully hand fed them today!:jester: They are getting alot more out going. And they remind me of my sister and I. I give them their food (porposely each veggy in even numbers so they don't fight) And they fight and squeek over it, even though there is plenty there Silly sibling rivalry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.