Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression How well will my two boars get along?

MeetballSub

Cavy Slave
Hello all, I recently took out the divider in my Abyssinian and American guineas pigs cage after giving them the "bonding bath". They got along well and aren't fighting in their cage as of now, just little flare ups that seemed like they were about to turn into a fight. Will they be OK overnight? They seem off and on with the aggression and I don't want them to kill each other overnight because I couldn't separate them. The cage is a 2x4 C&C so I am sure that they have a good amount of space.

MeetballSub

Cavy Slave
Well, they are unfortunately separated now. They started pouncing on each other and I knew it wouldn't work out after that. When the divider was in they sniffed each other and chatted but I guess that was the most they could do.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Did you introduce them in neutral territory? How long have you had them?

Actually, a 2x4 is a bit small for two boars. A 2x4 is fine if they get along well, but a 2x5 is preferred for a male pair, as they do need more space than sows. My boys have small tiffs quite often, but they are only in a 2x3.5, which will soon be upgraded to a 2x5. Try to stay up as late as you can to ensure that they don't fight. Otherwise, I would put them in the room that you are sleeping in-if possible-so that if it gets bad, their shrieks will wake you up.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I didn't see your last post when I posted the one before, so don't mind that.

Have you introduced them at all before? If this was their only fall-out, it would be best to keep them separated for a while and then try introducing them again. Also, a 2x2 for each boar is a bit small, so it might help to expand the whole cage to a 2x6 for two 2x3's.

MeetballSub

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters, I will do it exactly the way the website says. And yes they have been introduced before, but every one eventually failed, this was about their 3rd fall-out and they have lived near each other for about 7 months. I will look into adding more grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.