Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm How to keep them warm?

• Thread starter Supermissdeedee
  • Start date

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
My room is chilly (no drafts!) it is around 65 degrees (f) but its pretty chilly. I have a special area thats filled up with towels and blankets but they don't seem to want to sleep in there. I want to make sure they are nice and warm but not to warm. Any idea's?

I'm sure you have at least one hidey house for them right? If they're cold they probably know they have a warm spot to take refuge.

I find that using fleece bedding makes the entire floor a bit warmer. So you don't really have to worry too much if you're already using that.

I use kiln-dried pine for my bottom and fleece for the loft. Yesterday when it was raining, I noticed the girls preferred hanging around the top floor.

You can try making a fleece forest. Just search "fleece forest" if you don't know what it is yet. That way when they go in the fleece forest, the fleece is touching them keeping them warm, but no danger of them getting stuck under the fleece. My cavies love sleeping in their fleece forest.

I was worried about my pigs getting cold too but keep in mind they are smart. They most likely know that you have a place for them in case they get to cold. Also if you have a loft they will hang out up there too. Also if your room has vets try to keep your cage close to the warm air just not to close. That is what I did with my cages.

A simple fleece sack can help too. I hand sewed my first one and used a piece of plactic canvas used in cross stitching from Joann's ($ 1.99) for a 13inx22in. I cut a 20inx2in strip and sewed it in the opening and folded it over so it will stay open. I use it in the carrier if we go to the vet. The first time I took her outside in the carrier it was cold and windy and she ran right inside of it. Here's picture it's really simple. Also the fleece forest that crazy4looney2n suggested is a great no sew option. It's hard to see in the pic but it's a rectangle piece of fleece folded over and sewed on the ends. Of course my gp didn't make it all the into the sack before she fell asleep!

Attachments

210.jpg
A simple fleece sack can help too. I hand sewed my first one and used a piece of plactic canvas used in cross stitching from Joann's ($ 1.99) for a 13inx22in. I cut a 20inx2in strip and sewed it in the opening and folded it over so it will stay open. I use it in the carrier if we go to the vet. The first time I took her outside in the carrier it was cold and windy and she ran right inside of it. Here's picture it's really simple. Also the fleece forest that crazy4looney2n suggested is a great no sew option. It's hard to see in the pic but it's a rectangle piece of fleece folded over and sewed on the ends. Of course my gp didn't make it all the into the sack before she fell asleep!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.