Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives How does lino hold up as a base?

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Hi all. Ok, so now that my guinea pigs have suffered for months in a pet store cage (step up as they were previously outside!) I want to build a bigger cage. I have done the measurements, and I can fit a cage in the corner they are now living in, that meets the min. requirements for two guinea pigs, plus a little bit bigger. Now I cannot find storage cubes anywhere in my state (I live in Australia), and choroplast is a little hard to get too. But I have plenty of wood, snake proof chicken wire and lino in the shed, so can make a cheap cage. However, I just worry about the lino. Is there anyone with experience using it that can tell me how it is? Is it sort of floppy? (not sure what other word to use sorry).

Anyway, I will hopefully be able to post up pictures of the new cage soon. At the moment, my mother is saying I can't. I have devised a plan that includes a well written up proposal for a bigger cage (It worked to get them inside, and this time there's more pros and less cons for her)

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
i bought a yoga mat off craigslist - it's working very well!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I use vinyl flooring to line my cage. I'm guessing it's similar to lino. I haven't had any problem with it. One thing you have to be careful is to seal the corners and edges. The back side of it is like paper, and it's not waterproof. Only the top part is waterproof.

Have a look around in this gallery.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=512

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Speaking as a mother, I LOVE the written proposel idea! If my kids cared enough to research and write it up I usally caved pretty quickly:shhh:! Good luck!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I've only ever used Lino for the cage base. (I have used Corflute for litter trays though, it's pricey where I am). I just use the $11m Lino from Bunnings and have never had an issue with it. It scores + folds just like Corflute (though you do have to be a little more careful with the scoring as too much pressure can go right through.

My current cage, sans fleece + accessories.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/Cage2011/DSCN4559.jpg

With fleece + accessories
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/Cage2011/DSCN4560.jpg

I do have a chewer so all the Lino must be covered.

katebkate

Cavy Slave
Thank's guys! Can't wait to do this cage for my boys! Assuming mum says yes, and I think there is a very good chance she will

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.