Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How do you bond guinea pigs????

POOFA777

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have a one year old guinea pig (female), and I would like to get another one my only question is...how do you introduce them, without them killing each other?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Have you tried introducing them before? Or will this be their first.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Well, either way here are three great sources to learn how to introduce piggies.

Here is cavy spirit's "perfect solution" to introduce pigs. ( ps, you will have to scroll down a lot )
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Additional

This is a great informational site I refer to often that explains it by gender: male to male, male to female, and female to female. It also gives an amazing reference of when is the time to step in. This will be necessary to know if you should or shouldn't step in.
https://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html

Lastly, here is a visual demonstration if you want an example of what it MAY look like. WARNING: she says one piece of information that is incorrect. She keeps on introducing them periodically. This is not recommended. It just restarts the process all over again.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any problems!

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have a one year old guinea pig (female), and I would like to get another one my only question is...how do you introduce them, without them killing each other?

I know its not the correct way but I had 2 older pigs for a bout 3 months then we got 2 more yonger ones. I made a pen outside and ploked them all in it and that was that. I found this forum after and learned about quarentine etc but I was just lucky I guess there were no issues.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I know its not the correct way but I had 2 older pigs for a bout 3 months then we got 2 more yonger ones. I made a pen outside and ploked them all in it and that was that. I found this forum after and learned about quarentine etc but I was just lucky I guess there were no issues.

Lucky ducky! :) It's risky though. :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
very risky if you don't go through a reputable source like a rescue.
Those links posted give you all the information you need to do introductions.

POOFA777

Cavy Slave
Thank-you so much for all of this information, and no I don't even have the second piggy yet :(. I really hope to get one this year because I got 1 but then I read about them online, about how important it is for them to have a companion :)

POOFA777

Cavy Slave
And yes I will definitely go to a rescue this time

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.