Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Here pig pig pigs... (Socialization Questions too!)

MaevePotter

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone,

I know I really shouldn't have gotten these from a pet store, but I felt so bad for the big white one because she had been marked down to $8 for a full month, and no one had gotten her. I do plan to write a letter and get a petition rolling to this place to have them quit selling mammals, because they just really don't get enough business to justify doing so and they are a grocery store. (Meijers) So hopefully that will help balance out the consequences of my purchase.

So since I know that guineas need friends, I felt bad leaving her cage mate there so I took her too. I have sexed them and they are both girls. I am not entirely sure the white one isn't pregnant but she is older so she could just be fat/ full grown. Only females have nipples right?

The big white one is an english with blue eyes, and the younger one is also an english with a black hood and some speckles and a patch on one side. The little one is chowing down on hay and pellets (Mazuri until I can order something online that is better) but I am not sure if the other one is eating. I did syringe feed her some mash pellets and she chewed, but she has been staying fairly stationary, and I just worry that she is not eating because I haven't seen her do so yet. Should I syringe her a little more or trust that she is eating? Also do pigs have trouble with water bottles because the little one seems to sort of be biting at it rather than licking and the level isn't down much. I have a shallow bowl of water in there, but they mess it up quickly.

Is there anything I can do to help them feel less scared? They have a coca cola box in there to hide in, and I have talked to and held them, but the white one just seems scared, I really don't know if she enjoys being petted, though she lets me. Also, I was petting and talking to her, and she was quiet, but then I started to sing a silly song to her and she starting wheeking extremely softly in her throat so soft that I almost didn't know it was her at first. Could this have been a sign of enjoyment or just a critique on my singing? LOL. I will post pictures soon. In the meantime, names would be helpful. So far all I have come up with is Olivia and Oreo.

Meghan

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are very skittish and if you got them recently, they are probably still scared. It is best to leave them alone so they can get adjusted to their new environment. If one of your girls isn't eating, she is probably just frightened by your presence and is too scared to move around. Syringe-feeding is stressful and unnecessary at this point. As for the water bottle, biting it is not at all unusual and they will be able to drink from it just fine.

Most guinea pigs take a very long time to adjust to being held. Trying to hold them immediately after you bring them home will almost certainly scare them. Just remember that guinea pigs are naturally prey animals with very few defenses, so their instincts tell them to run away from anything big and scary! Take it very slow, and don't expect them to relax in your arms for several weeks or even months. It is best to win them over gradually- first let them get used to your presence and voice by talking softly to them. Bring them vegetables on a daily basis, and eventually you can offer it directly from your hand. Once they are comfortable with your hand in the cage, you can begin to hold them. Some guinea pigs will never like being held, some don't like being petted but tolerate being held, and a scarce few will learn to enjoy the whole experience. It really depends on the personalities of your piggies, as well as your ability to be patient and consistent.

I recommend you read through the information on this site, as well as Guinea Lynx- these are some of the best sources available to learn how to care for your piggies, bar none. Here are a few links to check out:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...conceptions-about-guinea-pigs-their-care.html
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig

One last thing- I know you really wanted to help the piggies at the store by buying them, but the reality of the situation is that because they have been sold, a spot is opened up for more piggies to be sold there and the cycle will continue. I think it's great that you are going to write a letter to address the issue, but it's very important that you resist bringing more guinea pigs home from there. While it might help those individual piggies, it will ultimately cause even more piggies to suffer. There are many, many wonderful piggies that are waiting to be adopted into good homes. Now that you know the reality of the situation, I hope you decide to adopt from here on out. I'm not judging you- I bought my first guinea pigs when I didn't know any better as well! Thankfully, this site has taught me what goes on behind the scenes at pet stores and I have chosen not to support them any longer.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! lol

Michelle

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah- I wanted to mention that male piggies have nipples as well, so that is not an accurate way to sex them. Here's a link to help you out with that:

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

MaevePotter

Cavy Slave
thanks for the sexing link.

Honestly, I already knew better, and have been rescue only as far as rabbits so far, and several of my rats, but I just was bad. I couldn't help wanting to help them. So I really have no excuse other than a bleeding heart. Now I feel like once I have them settled, I might adopt a third just to make up for buying them.

I have already read most of those pages. I think that is where I got the syringe feeding thing, because it said if a guinea pig doesn't eat for more than 24 hours it could get gut stasis. The feeding really didn't seem to bother her too much, and with the little one it definately helped, because she dove right into her food after I gave her a little via syringe. I just don't want them to get sick because they go anorexic from the stress of coming to a new home. I am going to check over those links again though to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Which feed fo you give to your pigs. So far I think the consensus is
1. kleenmans
2. oxbow
3. mazuri

Is that right?

What kind of hay do yours seem to like best? Do you use water bottles or bowls? Thanks!

MaevePotter

Cavy Slave
ps! ooo that first link with the chart is very cool. Thanks!

oh, and here is the link that led me to try handfeeding..

Guinea Lynx :: Hand Feeding

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I use Oxbow, but I have never tried Mazuri or Kleenmans so I really can't say which is best. I have found Oxbow to be wonderful, and it's fairly cheap to buy in bulk. They do charge a lot for shipping, though. Some exotics vets carry it so you might try calling around.

I use water bottles because bowls tend to get very dirty, as you have figured out! They get contaminated so quickly that it becomes a bit of a health hazard, plus they can spill onto the bedding and cause problems. A water bottle is much cleaner and simpler to deal with. Sometimes they leak a little, so I just put a single brick underneath each spout to catch some of the excess.

As far as hand feeding, I really don't think it's necessary at this point. Just put the food, water, and hay as close to their hiding spot as possible so they don't have to venture out to get it. They most likely are just scared- when I first got my guinea pigs they would run and hide every time they heard a noise, even if I wasn't near them. Hand feeding usually isn't necessary unless they are very ill, and it can be dangerous if not done correctly. I know you were just trying to help, so don't worry! Just keep an eye on them and I'm sure they will be eating like the little piggies they are in no time!

I'm glad that you have been doing so much research and I can already tell you will be a great piggy parent! As for the pet stores, I have a tendency to fall in love with every piggy I see so I have to stay out of them all together! If yours is in a grocery store I can see how that might be hard to do, but try to just avoid looking if possible. Have you checked out petfinder.com? That's a great place to look for guinea pigs up for adoption in your area.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
ps! ooo that first link with the chart is very cool. Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment. Many weeks of hard work went into those charts.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
My ten piggies thank you as well with wheeks of joy! lol

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hahaha my ten pigs enjoy the chart as well. I have been trying new things everytime I go buy veggies. I just tried blueberries last night and it was a hit. Also have tried some new fruit as well. But welcome to the forums.

MaevePotter

Cavy Slave
Here are some pictures of the girls: (broken link removed)

they are still girls, having looked at the pictures. The white one is Charlotte and the other is either Speckles, oreo or olivia..

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
How sweet! I love the crest on the head. I just recently adopted a girl with a white crest, it looks like a little hat.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Cute piggers.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Very cute-I love the pic of your rat in the birthday hat.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Have you taken them to the vet? If not, you should specially because they come from a pet store and I just don't trust them at all. But I know that you will do whatever it takes togive them a good life :)
Anyway,
They are beautiful! I love the white one. As for the names I like:
Peeka & Boo
Coco & Chanel
Peaches & Creme
Diamond & Pearl
Itsy & Bitsy
Sugar & Spice

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your piggies :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.