Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy HELP! Pregnant and Sick

Re: URI? might be in labor?

I hope you agree with me that the OP's description of the sow was confusing.
Oh, I agree. But I suspected you might not know the history of this particular poster, who has very little guinea pig experience, much less pregnant guinea pig experience, and has recently had a pig die for "unknown causes," so the wisest course of action in THIS case would have been to get the animal to a vet - which she refused to do.

Where are you in Va? I live near Charleston, WV. If you are close I will come adopt her and take her to a vet myself. I can't stand the thought of her suffering like that. I can leave now!

I wish that this person would actualy allow this instead of letting her suffer and let her have a life with someone who would have done the right thing.

I must say I hope that the piggie made it and I hope she was rehomed and so were the babies, although sadly they most likley did not make it so I must say for this poor piggie.

may you rest in peace piggie and play in the clover fields of piggie heaven .

TwitterPopcorn, I can't approve your post as we don't allow postings in their entirety from other forums/sites but for closure I will paraphrase part of what you wrote so people will know what happened and this thread can have closure.

TwitterPopcorn reports that on another site LovenPiggies's posted to that the outcome was that the sow had problems giving birth, the only pup the sow was carrying was born without a sac and was stillborn. (The birth itself was long and horrifying to read about.) LovenPiggies at one point held the sow up and while it was trying to push, she was trying to pull the pup out. After a period of time, (over 1/2 an hour apparently) the baby was finally pushed/pulled out then the sow started hemorrhaging (and posting the cage was filling with blood) but it was another hour before LovenPiggies decided to call an emergency vet but when she was about to dial the number, her fiance yelled for her and then the placenta was passed and the sow stopped bleeding, so the vet was not contacted at that time.

This all started approx. 12:45 a.m. but the sow wasn't taken to the vet until the next day and was put on AB's, vet had stated the sow had a LRI, (lower respiratory infection aka pneumonia), was underweight and that the vet said the sows pubic bones were closed and didn't know why the sow didn't also die. The sow is still alive and is reported to be doing better.

Moral of the story- LovenPiggies is not a good owner for not taking this sow to the vet at the first signs of distress (leaking fluid). It could have saved the lives of both the sow and the pup.

Last edited:
TwitterPopcorn, if you want you can send me the link where you found this and perhaps we can post it if it meets our standards.

I must say that I don't believe the story lovenpiggies told about taking the pig to the vet, and doubt very much that the animal, if alive, has seen a vet experienced with guinea pigs.

And I agree that not taking this poor thing to the vet makes her negligent and probably an unfit owner.

Last edited:
She tried to pull the baby out? How dangerous and apalling.
And she failed to take the sow to the vet? Even more disgusting.

I hope LovenPiggies never get another pet. Just Ly's post with the gist of what happened is beyond horrifying.

Having a pet is a priviledge not a right.

People can be incredibly stupid.

That story was so sad... how can any person think it is okay to try and pull a baby out for one? Professionals would know better how to help than some random owner. She was that stingy with her money that she wouldn't try to save mom and the pup? For all she knew there could have been more inside of her and she still didn't think to run the mama to a hospital? That poor guinea pig. I hope the vet lectured her, hard.

Last edited:
The birth itself was long and horrifying to read about.

I was able to read this before it was removed and it brought tears to my eyes. I am disgusted by the events that took place around this birth. I am especially disgusted by the fact that after an extearmly long labor, then giving partial birth, 30 minutes later finishing the birth of a still born baby, them bleeding so much that it filled the cage... She STILL waited until the next day to take the pig to the vet. How selfish can one person be? I hope & pray that she grows up and learns how to be a responsible pet owner.

LovinPigs,
If you read this, the offer still stands to take your pigs off your hands for you. I feel that they are too much for you to properly care for. Message me if you are interested.

Oh my God.....I just finished reading through all of the posts on this thread and I can't believe what I just read. Please tell me it's not true... for if it is, that's blatant neglect.
I wish I could of been there just to take the poor baby to the vet myself.... Sadly I don't even know if all of what she said was factual....did the pig actually even see the vet??? For all I know that poor piggy could of died and we could have been made to believe otherwise. She did nothing more than waste precious time allowing her pig to suffer longer when she could have just rushed her right in. It doesn't take a rocket scientist that if you see there's a problem....that it's a problem. Instead she didn't see the picture.... that she "was" getting the answer from everyone all along......."take the pig to the vet now".
I have tears welled up in my eyes because of the sadness and the tragedy of this poor pig and its pup.

Lovenpiggies...if you come back and read on, please take my advice....don't care for anymore animals....I feel you lack the maturity and competency required to properly care for them.

Wow, unbelievable and so so sad! Poor momma pig! This post just breaks my heart. I would plead with Lovinpigs to rehome what animals she has and give them a chance to have a happy healthy life.

I can't believe this! How could someone be so mean and tight with their money *not* to bring a dying guinea pig to a vet *after* she adopted it?!

Last edited:
This was one of the most disturbing threads I've ever read!

No one that let their pets suffer like this should be allowed to have any. They depend on us for care! Don't you get that? Sorry nothing personal, just my opinion.

I can't believe a human with a heart (maybe) does that to a gp in so much pain. I would have been to the proper vet before you could say "bad petting!"

RIP baby gp

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.