Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy HELP! Pregnant and Sick

I want to let you all know that LovenPiggies is more concerned about how she's being talked to in the thread than doing what is right for her pig. She posted a rather derogatory post, one that will not be approved, cursing the forum out more or less. She may even get banned because of it.

Just the kind of person who should own a pet. Disgusting.

LovenPiggies, Seriously get the pig to a vet. Is it that hard? No it shouldn't be, you have animals that rely on you this shouldn't be hard. Get over yourself and take some responsibility.

Just the kind of person who should own a pet. Disgusting.

LovenPiggies, Seriously get the pig to a vet. Is it that hard? No it shouldn't be, you have animals that rely on you this shouldn't be hard. Get over yourself and take some responsibility.

Peggysu should be commended for the care that she gives all her pigs.

Get the pig to a cavy savy vet now before it is too late!

Do you want this pig and the pups to die like the baby pig that you took in not that long ago did? That pig died due to your negligience by not taking it to the vet right away so again are you going to let the same thing happen again or are going make things right for this pig and take to a vet?

Where are you in Va? I live near Charleston, WV. If you are close I will come adopt her and take her to a vet myself. I can't stand the thought of her suffering like that. I can leave now!

where are you in va? I live near charleston, wv. If you are close i will come adopt her and take her to a vet myself. I can't stand the thought of her suffering like that. I can leave now!

please do!

She may even get banned because of it.

To the mods:
Has she been banned and that is why she isn't responding to my location/adoption question? Or she just not responding to not respond? Just wondering... I'm sitting here ready to go pick it up if she says I can, if not I'm gonna head on to bed. Just wondering if she wasn't responding because she couldn't. Thanks!

I think that she's cavy caged and can't message and her posts are moderated and waiting for approval. I hope that the piggy gets to a competent vet and makes it. :'(

Look. If she's showing no other signs of URI she may be in MAJOR distress during labour. Im not sure how long guinea pigs are supposed to be in labour but you posted this thread a while ago and she still hasn't had her babies. Thats a huge red flag. These full grown pups may be putting pressure on her lungs which threatens her breathing.

If you want a straight up answer I think we all know that this guinea pig is going to die of pregnancy complications. My best friend's guinea pig died because her pelvis was too small and she could not deliver, she delivered 1 still born pup and the rest (4 in total) died when she did or before that.

There are MANY complications that can occur in any pregnancy and guinea pigs are small, therefor their chance of dying is way higher. You need to call every vet in your area. Cavy savy or not, there has to be 1 vet in your area that knows the stress signs during pregnancy in any animal.

If we can recognize this then so should a vet.
I'm not being mean, I'm not making fun of you. I'm telling you straight up. This guinea pig is going to die.

Ok it is about 1:45am and I am assuming you are not going to respond tonight. I am going to bed. I will be up around 8 or 8:30 tomorrow & the 1st thing I'm gonna do is check this thread. If she is still alive & you want me to come get her let me know. I will pack up the kids and leave shortly after I wake up. This is your way out! You do the responsible thing by giving up a pig you cannot/will not care for & she gets a chance at life. Don't pass this by!

She's not banned as of yet, only caged without pm access. Her last post is the unapproved post on this thread where she cursed people out. I doubt we will see her here again as she stated she was "blacklisting this :censored: forum".

I wish you could get the pig Amanda as I have no doubt you would do the right thing. Unfortunately, Sugar&Ellie is most likely correct in saying this pig will die and not only that but the pups too. It's so sad that people like her would rather post on various sites trying to find someone who will tell her what she wants to hear, rather than do the right thing. And then get irate when we suggest that she take the pig to the vet, which she should have done instead of even posting this thread to begin with.

Even if the pig does not have a URI, if the pig is leaking fluid, that's not normal in pregnancy and is a sign that something is definitely wrong.

I wish you could get the pig Amanda as I have no doubt you would do the right thing.

Thanks Ly! I will just keep hoping & praying that she does the right thing. My heart is breaking for this poor pig and her pups. Why do people treat their pets this way?! Why do people adopt pets they can't or won't take care of? Why can't people realize that pets are JUST for our own entertainment? Yes we get joy from them but they are living breathing creatures and DO NOT deserve to be left to die in pain without a chance of making it! And worst that all of that... given her track record she will go out next week and get another pig and start this whole cycle all over again!

Just had to vent, thanks for letting me!

Well this is to bad. The reality is that she most likely will not do the right thing for this pig and those pups. I really hope it all goes well, but as many members of this site know if this truely is going on and it isn't treated now the chances of recovery could be very slim and most likely nill.

This is so tragic!! Has anyone heard anything on what has happened to that poor momma pig and her babies? I want to cry, this is just horrible.

Nope! I could hardly sleep last night. I kept my phone by me all night & everytime it would "ding" with a email I would check it to see if was someone posting a response. NOTHING! I even had a nightmare last night of a weeking pig. It was so real that I got up and went to the living room to check on my girls & make sure they weren't fighting or something. I am so angry / hurt / sad / speechless ect... over this poor mama! Like so many have said above: This has been going on for so long that she is probably dead by now. I pray Lovenpigs comes to her senses and never adopts another pig. She has 4 right now (not counting this one that is probably dead now) and 2 of those are pregnant. She has got her hands full and I hope that she grows up and quits taking on more than she can handle.

Amanda - You can look in her profile to see the last time she logged in. She was last on the site at 10:37pm last night so it's likely she hasn't seen your offer or simply does not care.

Thank you for trying to help. I know it's hard but don't let others' poor actions, abuse or neglect weight too heavily on you. As a rescuer I have to deal with "the blame game" every day. It's not your fault and you have nothing to lose sleep over. (I know, I know, much easier said then done--despite my words I lose sleep way too often over stuff like this)

Last edited:
Lovenpiggies, I gotta tell you, that comment about blacklisting the forum made me laugh out loud. It's weird, because I could have sworn it was just a few days ago you were telling everyone how sorry you were for your poor behavior in another thread and announcing you'd never do anything like that again. Oh, wait. It was just (broken link removed).

In any case, you've got a whole lot of growing up to do before you should be putting yourself in the place of caregiver for a defenseless animal. You've been given an opportunity to rid yourself of the burden of this poor sick pig, since you seem to be refusing to do the right thing yourself and take her to the vet. If you instead let this animal die, rather than seek medical attention or turn her over to a person who will, you need to seriously reconsider owning any guinea pigs, or any other animals for that matter. They are not just cute, furry playthings for your amusement. They are living, breathing animals that you are solely responsible for protecting and caring for. If you can't or won't be bothered to do that, in this most obviously necessary of situations, you need to reconsider animal ownership. That you're more concerned with posting hateful messages to and about this forum than getting an animal in distress medical attention is sickening.

Does anybody know her personally? I really wonder how this ended up? I'm pretty sure I know the answer. I was just wondering if a maricle happened and the mama somehow made it through. If maybe Lovenpiggs finally came to her senses and got to the vet in time. Anybody know?

Re: URI? might be in labor?

She is the igloo and I can see her and she keeps making that noise,her stumach will twitch real big,she gets up,She turnis around, licks her "area", then she lays back doen then rinse and repeats it all over again.

This is clearly a sow in labour. Correct treatment is a difficult one to call as transporting the sow in the middle of labour would cause too much stress in what may be a safe labour and delivery.

If this activity continues for more than an hour, with no baby produced, the sow is possibly in trouble and then would need to see a vet.

It all rather depends on how soon the OP noticed that the sow was in labour as to whether the time scale was correct.

The wetness was most likely due to stress incontinence (that is physical 'stress' - moving around etc not emotional stress) which is normal in human and pig pregnancy.

I hope she littered safely.

DalesLass, I certainly realize that you would be the one to know all the intricate details about a guinea pig pregnancy and birth and could assess whether or not veterinary care was warranted in a particular situation. However, this case presented a guinea pig that (based on the description) sounded to be in pretty obvious distress and most likely needed veterinary attention to survive. Veterinary attention that the original poster, who has very little experience with guinea pigs, much less pregnant guinea pigs showing significant signs of distress that are probably also suffering from other illnesses, seemed all but unwilling to provide.

Whether or not the pig would be too stressed to survive a trip to the vet is impossible to say, but given everything else the poor thing had been through, how near birth she was and how ill she sounded to be, citing possible stress to the pregnant sow and her pups as a reason to even consider denying vet care is not acceptable.

I certainly would like to know how the mother and pups made it through delivery as well, though I'm not terribly optimistic on the matter.

Sorry, I should have been more specific; by 'stress' I meant the stress of the journey leading to pregnancy toxemia especially if the sow was not actually in labour. Sows heavily in pig will often exhibit 'labour' behaviour where they turn around quickly to inspect what they have 'passed' - maybe just poo.

I agree that the OP does not have the experience to judge whether or not immediate travel to a vet is necessary. Her best course of action would have been to phone her vet and describe the situation/time scale.
The vet would have either put her mind at rest or told her to rush the pig in.

I hope you agree with me that the OP's description of the sow was confusing. Firstly she describes her as being sick and in " in horrible condition".
Then she says the sow has no nose/eye discharge, eating/drinking very well, moving around happily although showing signs of being in labour. You will understand why someone would interpret this as a sow at the beginning of a normal delivery and showing little sign of distress.

Taking her to the vet while in labor has got to have had a better benefit to risk calculation than deciding to give her a BATH while in the middle of labor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.