Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Heading to college, future turned out not as expected...

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
Well, I'll be heading to college (Accepted to UT and Texas A&M, waiting on MIT, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, Rice, and Stanford right now...) around August or so, and the issue of my guinea pigs has been bothering me, and while I don't want to give them away, it is probably for the better of them.

When I got Fleance and Banquo six years ago, I honestly didn't anticipate on Banquo living to his current age right now... and when Fleance passed away, I adopted Dwight as Banquo's companion. I was def. hoping on my sister to take care of them (She loves the guinea pigs too), but two years ago she started developing really bad allergies to them. When she makes contact with the guinea pigs, she gets super itchy and stuff. And now she isn't thrilled on also having to clean their cages.

So, I've decided that, if I have to rehome them, I might as well start the process now; I feel this is the more prudent route than to start trying to 'get rid of them' a week before moving out.

Anyways, while I may have to pass the boys off this time, my interest in guinea pigs shouldn't wane; Maybe I'll adopt more guinea pigs after college :D

There isn't a guarantee I'll be rehoming them, although it seems like the best option so far.

What do you guys recommend I do?

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Why do you have to rehome them if you're going to college? I'm going to college in a different state then I am even from and have a guinea pig. Are you going to be staying in the dorms? If you are then I could understand.

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
IIRC, all the colleges except for the state schools require living in the dorms at least for your first year, and honestly I don't think I could maintain the guinea pigs while maintaining good grades in college. I know a few dorms accept pets, but honestly there are many more factors important to me than pet ownership. I'll do some more research, but this isn't final, once again, but I should be starting to be concerned about this before I'll be panicking to get them out the house.

Andrmgic

Cavy Slave
The average dorm room wouldn't be large enough to comfortably store a c&c cage in addition to the supplies one needs while in college, particularly since you'll undoubtedly have a roommate and their stuff as well.

I'm sure your piggies would thank you if they knew how much you were looking out for their future happiness.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Well, you can definitely maintain good grades & still be able to take care of an animal. I'm proof of that! I go to school full time, work 30 hours a week, volunteer once a week, have a boyfriend, and still get at least a 3.6 every semester! I understand though if you're living in the dorms. I was required to live in them my first year as well & they are teeny! There was barely enough room for myself & the only pet we could have was a fish. It wasn't until this year (my senior year of college) that I chose to get a guinea pig since I'll be graduating and retiring from the college life. Too bad you can't find anyone to take care of them while you're in college. :sad: I can't imagine being in your situation. Good luck & I hope you find some nice people to rehome them with. :eek:

Oh, one more thing... props to you for thinking about this sooner rather than later!

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I get what you are saying except for me my parents will be caring for my pigs and I'll come home on the weekends when I can... It sucks but it's way better than never seeing my babies again. :( Although today they are driving me insane! But still lol. It makes sense if you have no family members to care for them and nowhere for them to live. I'd look for an older person to take them, like retired who can spend all their time loving them :)

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
I think that it is good that you're taking your responsibilities seriously, & realistically considering whether you'll be allowed to take your pets with you, or will have the time to do right by them. Definitely better to plan ahead if you're considering re-homing, rather than needing a resolution at the last minute. If it looks like re-homing is your choice, would it be possible to maintain a co-ownership with the new owner? As in, you get to visit, help with medical needs, & your approval would be required for further re-homing? Sort of like a variation on a rescue/adoption contract.

FWIW, I went to UC San Diego, & lived off campus in a room I rented from a friend's parents. The first couple of trimesters, I wasn't doing so well (poor grades), & I got one of those "shape up or ship out" letters. Then there were some crime concerns in our neighborhood, & my friend's parents agreed to let me bring one of my dogs to school with me, while living with them. The rest of my college career, I was on the Dean's List of straight A students nearly every trimester. I even graduated with a dog by my side! (I still have the photo my dad took of me in my gown, receiving my diploma, with my dog at heel.) So a pet can be a grounding & stabilizing influence, despite the extra time & work needed caring for them.

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
I think that it is good that you're taking your responsibilities seriously, & realistically considering whether you'll be allowed to take your pets with you, or will have the time to do right by them. Definitely better to plan ahead if you're considering re-homing, rather than needing a resolution at the last minute. If it looks like re-homing is your choice, would it be possible to maintain a co-ownership with the new owner? As in, you get to visit, help with medical needs, & your approval would be required for further re-homing? Sort of like a variation on a rescue/adoption contract.

FWIW, I went to UC San Diego, & lived off campus in a room I rented from a friend's parents. The first couple of trimesters, I wasn't doing so well (poor grades), & I got one of those "shape up or ship out" letters. Then there were some crime concerns in our neighborhood, & my friend's parents agreed to let me bring one of my dogs to school with me, while living with them. The rest of my college career, I was on the Dean's List of straight A students nearly every trimester. I even graduated with a dog by my side! (I still have the photo my dad took of me in my gown, receiving my diploma, with my dog at heel.) So a pet can be a grounding & stabilizing influence, despite the extra time & work needed caring for them.

Those are some great ideals, although I'm not sure if I could keep track of that. I'd be more willing to rehome locally, but most likely I'll be hondreds of miles away. I'd love it if the new owner could take pigtures and send them to me though :D

Also, I found out this morning that my sister and parents will be moving after I graduate, so I guess rehoming is imminent.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that if they are over six years old, they are probably towards the end of their lifespans. Are you sure your sister is allergic to them and not the hay? A drastic move like that when they are seniors will affect them. It's a sad situation but is exactly why we have adults sign adoption contracts and commit to caring for a guinea pig when they adopt them for their kids. I hope you can find a good, permanent solution that's in the best interests of them.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but you didn't think the pigs would live that long? Did you not know their lifespans could be up to 7 to 9 years?

You can live off campus your first year .. most colleges have ways around it. You could look into it but it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse. You will NOT have a easy time of rehoming senior pigs.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Try contacting a local pig rescue. They may be able to do a courtesy listing for you while you foster.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Seconding what rabbitsncavyluv said, senior pigs are MUCH harder to rehome than, say, a pair of babies. Even if you did find someone willing to take them, how do you know if they would be providing proper care? Personally, it seems a little heartless to even consider giving away your babies.

You owe it to these guinea pigs to make sure their last few years are as comfortable as possible. You're responsible for making sure they are well-fed, caged in a spacious area, and receive lots of attention. If you are going away to college and handing them off to someone else, you can't ensure their wellbeing. It's your duty to find a way to keep them with you. They will be most comfortable adjusting to a new place and new lifestyle when their lifelong owner is present.

When you got these pigs, didn't you consider what would happen if they ended up living longer than average? If you didn't - that's rather disappointing. It's like having a child of your own. If you make the decision to have a child, you need to plan for the future. Even with bumps in the road of life or unexpected detours, you wouldn't simply give your child to someone else. Guinea pigs are just the same. You decided to bring guinea pigs into your life. Now you need to be with them to their finish line.

Doesn't that only make sense?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I guess I'm a little at a loss as to why your parents/sister can't keep them? I know, you said they'd be moving, but I still don't understand how that means they can't keep these animals for what remains of their lives? Surely, when they allowed you to get guinea pigs, they put some thought into the notion that at some point they might have to assume responsibility for them. At least, I'd certainly hope a parent would make such an assumption before allowing a minor to acquire a pet.

I also know you said that your sister is allergic, and then later, less than pleased with the idea of cage cleanings and daily maintenance, but have you actually talked to her about the idea that cage cleaning and feeding, etc. might not be such a big deal to her? As for the allergies, I have to wonder, as others have suggested, if it might be the hay she's having an issue with rather than the pigs.

I was able to keep pets throughout college, but I always lived off campus, so I never had to deal with any of the campus rules and regulations that you might be facing. That said, I dunno, to me it seems like the first option should be that they stay with your family if you are absolutely unable to take them with you. I just don't understand why a change in your life, and that they didn't die as soon as you'd expected, means that they have to be uprooted and moved to another family (or, more likely, given their age, a shelter or rescue) for the final part of their lives.

Have you talked with your parents about keeping them when you leave for school?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I agree with Rabbits and Paula. They are way too old to rehome and you NEED to take care of them for the remainder of their life. If you rehome them now the chance of them dying is REALLY high. I see it all the time when I take in old guinea pigs. They usually last a few weeks/months and then the stress of new surroundings, other germs and environment, different (in most cases better) food is too much and their heart gives out. Or their die from the rejection of being dumpped by their previous owners. You cannot live on campus with children either. So if they were the fruit of your loins you would just push them off onto someone else? Tell the school that you have to live off campus because you have children! haha they dont have to know they are the furry kind... Also you can get a doctors, theripists, counslers note saying that you have depression/anxiety issues and they are your theripy pets! I did this to keep my pets when I moved into a "pet free" place. Its not that big of a deal and most theripists dont care as long as you come back for a few visits! haha Well I really hope you keep these guys otherwise you could be sealing their death... Good luck

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
Dwight is 2 years old, and Banquo is 6.

We haven't had it medically diagnosed yet, but my sister can handle the guinea pig's hay fine. Its any time she touches them, especially on her face, the area that brushed against her turns red and super itchy.

There are tremendous reasons for me to live on campus in dorms rather than off campus; for example, its something like over 99% of MIT undergrads live on campus. And the residential colleges at Rice would be too good to pass up. Plus, wouldn't the process of moving the guinea pigs AND all their cage stuff be far too taxing on them? I also wouldn't want to fraud any of the colleges I go to and risk being expelled, even for the sake of the guinea pigs.

I've loved every minute I've had these guinea pigs, and if I could I'd place them in stasis to be unfrozen once I can dedicate my time to them, but, quite frankly, the chances of me being able to stay with them are very slim, at least for the school year. I'm trying to think realistically here: Engineering majors aren't for those who want tons and tons of free time, I'll be spending LOTS and LOTS of time doing research and lab work (Going into the fields of AI and robotics), and I can still visit San Antonio (And, presumably, the guinea pigs) on my breaks, which should be on the summer time and winter. As for the new surroundings/germs/environment argument, honestly this is inevitable, since we are changing houses anyways. I've also been away from the guinea pigs for up to a month and a half. I don't regret having gotten the guinea pigs, even with this situation I'm having right now. Considering the length of Banquo's life, and the quality of living the guinea pigs have had, I consider this to be far from the "neglecting child harms guinea pigs" situation.

By starting the rehoming process this early, I'll be able to find good candidates for rehoming, so I'll know if the new owners will put love and care into the guinea pigs just as I did. Honestly, I'd like to ask for some of you guys to stop trying to guilt-trip me into keeping them in some illegitimate manner, or a situation that would be bad for the pigs and for me; I'm already trying to think of ways for my family to keep them, but my sister is already getting badly allergic to them, my mom doesn't like them anymore, and I'm not sure about my dad's position on the guinea pigs. No carriers I've heard of allow guinea pigs onboard, and I don't think Banquo could survive the trip to California or New England. I didn't apply to a single college in San Antonio, and I'm probably not going to be going to UT, A&M, or Rice, which are the ones in Texas that I applied to.

I was hoping for my sister to take care of them, but, unexpectedly, she developed allergies. And the fallback of my parents for taking care of them also doesn't seem reliable.

RoxieJo

Cavy Slave
Dr. Doughnut- I hate that you are catching so much criticism. You are making a difficult decision and trying to handle it the best way you can. I think it is very responsible of you to think ahead about the rehoming of your piggies. Sadly, there are alot of heartless people who would just dump them at a shelter a week before moving day and be done with it. I went to a college far away from home, by choice, as well. I had 3 dogs at the time. Luckily my parents had no problem with keeping and caring for them. Right or wrong, I would not have passed up the educational goals I (like you, I'm sure) had worked toward my entire life in order to stay home and care for my dogs if my parents had not been willing. I would've hated it, but they would have had to be rehomed. Unfortunately you can not force your parents or sister to provide them with a good and loving home. You already stated that your Mom "doesn't like them", so I fail to see how that would be a good or healthy environment for them. And I certainly wouldn't advise you to lie to your college in order to try and keep them in your dorm... I still feel like there's something to be said for honesty in the world today.

I've noticed a few posts have made very unfair statements like "would you just throw your own children, the fruit of your loins, out of your home?". I'm guessing you're around 17 or 18. One of your pigs is 6, so you've had them since you were around 11 or 12, right? I seriously doubt many people on this forum had actual children at 11 or 12 years old... so honestly they themselves can't say what they would or wouldn't have done even in that situation. As they say... we could all benefit from walking a mile in someone elses shoes.

In any case, I wish you luck rehoming your piggies and I wish you well in college. Do the best you possible can to find them a good and loving home. And don't feel bad for planning, well in advance, for your future.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Dr. Doughnut- I hate that you are catching so much criticism. You are making a difficult decision and trying to handle it the best way you can. I think it is very responsible of you to think ahead about the rehoming of your piggies. Sadly, there are alot of heartless people who would just dump them at a shelter a week before moving day and be done with it. I went to a college far away from home, by choice, as well. I had 3 dogs at the time. Luckily my parents had no problem with keeping and caring for them. Right or wrong, I would not have passed up the educational goals I (like you, I'm sure) had worked toward my entire life in order to stay home and care for my dogs if my parents had not been willing. I would've hated it, but they would have had to be rehomed. Unfortunately you can not force your parents or sister to provide them with a good and loving home. You already stated that your Mom "doesn't like them", so I fail to see how that would be a good or healthy environment for them. And I certainly wouldn't advise you to lie to your college in order to try and keep them in your dorm... I still feel like there's something to be said for honesty in the world today.

I've noticed a few posts have made very unfair statements like "would you just throw your own children, the fruit of your loins, out of your home?". I'm guessing you're around 17 or 18. One of your pigs is 6, so you've had them since you were around 11 or 12, right? I seriously doubt many people on this forum had actual children at 11 or 12 years old... so honestly they themselves can't say what they would or wouldn't have done even in that situation. As they say... we could all benefit from walking a mile in someone elses shoes.

In any case, I wish you luck rehoming your piggies and I wish you well in college. Do the best you possible can to find them a good and loving home. And don't feel bad for planning, well in advance, for your future.
I agree completely with RoxieJo...Your education is VERY IMPORTANT ! And like this person has said, you already are doing the right thing by them by looking into various safe and loving options for your beloved animals. Keep looking....keep posting....draw up a contract, and be prepared to have pamphlets to give the adoptees, on the proper care of guinea pigs. Spread the word wherever you can....be organized and ready with information...even giving them the cage that they are currently in and any food that you have left over to give the adopted parent a good clean start, you know ? When do you leave for School ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I get what you are saying except for me my parents will be caring for my pigs and I'll come home on the weekends when I can... It sucks but it's way better than never seeing my babies again. :( Although today they are driving me insane! But still lol. It makes sense if you have no family members to care for them and nowhere for them to live. I'd look for an older person to take them, like retired who can spend all their time loving them :)
I also think Kimberly had a great idea about looking into a "relatively healthy" elderly person to take them in...that too, is a perfectly viable option I think ! Someone here mentioned the quote " Walk a mile or two in someone else's shoes for awhile...to gain insight and perspective ." I too, went through something similar to you. I had three adorable well loved ferrets. I named them after a funny show that me and my family use to watch together growing up, "The Odd Couple" with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall. I named them Felix, Oscar and Murray. I too, had to give them away due to my extenuating circumstances at the time. I did find a very nice home at a small shelter that an elderly woman lovingly had. We lucked out and were VERY fortunate...but I believe, that if you reach out...tell everyone you know and trust your current situation...miracles can and do happen everyday, my friend. So, cheer up, buck up and work hard to find them an appropriate home ! YOU CAN DO THIS ! Have hope...have faith..and KNOW that I ( and probably many others who read your current plight for your sweet babies) will be praying for you in this delicate difficult situation, OK my friend ? OK. Take care, and God Bless you !!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Dwight is 2 years old, and Banquo is 6.

We haven't had it medically diagnosed yet, but my sister can handle the guinea pig's hay fine. Its any time she touches them, especially on her face, the area that brushed against her turns red and super itchy.

There are tremendous reasons for me to live on campus in dorms rather than off campus; for example, its something like over 99% of MIT undergrads live on campus. And the residential colleges at Rice would be too good to pass up. Plus, wouldn't the process of moving the guinea pigs AND all their cage stuff be far too taxing on them? I also wouldn't want to fraud any of the colleges I go to and risk being expelled, even for the sake of the guinea pigs.

I've loved every minute I've had these guinea pigs, and if I could I'd place them in stasis to be unfrozen once I can dedicate my time to them, but, quite frankly, the chances of me being able to stay with them are very slim, at least for the school year. I'm trying to think realistically here: Engineering majors aren't for those who want tons and tons of free time, I'll be spending LOTS and LOTS of time doing research and lab work (Going into the fields of AI and robotics), and I can still visit San Antonio (And, presumably, the guinea pigs) on my breaks, which should be on the summer time and winter. As for the new surroundings/germs/environment argument, honestly this is inevitable, since we are changing houses anyways. I've also been away from the guinea pigs for up to a month and a half. I don't regret having gotten the guinea pigs, even with this situation I'm having right now. Considering the length of Banquo's life, and the quality of living the guinea pigs have had, I consider this to be far from the "neglecting child harms guinea pigs" situation.

By starting the rehoming process this early, I'll be able to find good candidates for rehoming, so I'll know if the new owners will put love and care into the guinea pigs just as I did. Honestly, I'd like to ask for some of you guys to stop trying to guilt-trip me into keeping them in some illegitimate manner, or a situation that would be bad for the pigs and for me; I'm already trying to think of ways for my family to keep them, but my sister is already getting badly allergic to them, my mom doesn't like them anymore, and I'm not sure about my dad's position on the guinea pigs. No carriers I've heard of allow guinea pigs onboard, and I don't think Banquo could survive the trip to California or New England. I didn't apply to a single college in San Antonio, and I'm probably not going to be going to UT, A&M, or Rice, which are the ones in Texas that I applied to.

I was hoping for my sister to take care of them, but, unexpectedly, she developed allergies. And the fallback of my parents for taking care of them also doesn't seem reliable.

I understand where you are coming from. Honestly, no college is going to let you live off campus because you have guinea pigs to take care of. That reason wouldn't be good enough for them. Colleges are extremely strict about requiring all freshmen to live in dorms. The only reason that I have ever known people to get out of it is if they have a disability, have the responsibility of taking care of another person, or if they are a nontraditional student. I'm sorry you are getting criticism for needing to rehome them. Obviously, you have already talked to your family like how everyone is insisting. You are doing the mature thing to think about this now. Anyone who has been to a college should now how much of a stressful time it is. You also applied to some of the hardest colleges to get into so I can't imagine how busy you will be your first year. If you don't think you can give them the proper care and time to take care of them then you should rehome them and you shouldn't be punished for it. I'm sure your guinea pigs would appreciate it more if you were to set them up in a nice home rather than not giving the care they need.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I agree with Rabbits and Paula. They are way too old to rehome and you NEED to take care of them for the remainder of their life. If you rehome them now the chance of them dying is REALLY high. I see it all the time when I take in old guinea pigs. They usually last a few weeks/months and then the stress of new surroundings, other germs and environment, different (in most cases better) food is too much and their heart gives out. Or their die from the rejection of being dumpped by their previous owners. You cannot live on campus with children either. So if they were the fruit of your loins you would just push them off onto someone else? Tell the school that you have to live off campus because you have children! haha they dont have to know they are the furry kind... Also you can get a doctors, theripists, counslers note saying that you have depression/anxiety issues and they are your theripy pets! I did this to keep my pets when I moved into a "pet free" place. Its not that big of a deal and most theripists dont care as long as you come back for a few visits! haha Well I really hope you keep these guys otherwise you could be sealing their death... Good luck

What you are suggesting to her is considered fraud. It really is a big deal to fake a psychological disorder to obtain a doctors note and it isn't a laughing matter. That's actually pathetic you would resort to faking depression and take up a counselors time when someone who actually needs the counseling might not be able to get the appointment. Most therapists would care and would consider it as unethical.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.