Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Gets Everywhere! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahdarby17

Cavy Slave
I have my hay racks, they are hanging. I would like to put something underneath to catch the hay. any ideas? Thanks!

A picture would help more, but anything under it would probably be trampled in and strewn about anyway.

I don't have any ideas sorry, but I keep my pigs food and hay in their kitchen areas with CAREfresh so It can't mess up the fleece as It really annoyed me.

I use a small kitten litter box from Petco. Petco is the only store that sells the ones I like in the perfect piggy size for hay :)

I usually have a kitchen area underneath my hayracks. Either a cat litter box, or a cardboard box with low enough sides for the pigs to jump in. If it's big enough I also have my water bottles and pellet dish in there as well. I use wood pellets in my kitchen areas.

Thanks guys! I made a "hay room" last night and its seeming to work :)

I am HIGHLY (like, violently) allergic to the loose hay. I use hay cubes instead. My piggies are healthy and happy and the clean up is a snap. And my throat doesn't close when I love on my babies, so that's good, too! lol

Thanks guys! I made a "hay room" last night and its seeming to work :)

Sounds great! Would love to see some pics.

I am HIGHLY (like, violently) allergic to the loose hay. I use hay cubes instead. My piggies are healthy and happy and the clean up is a snap. And my throat doesn't close when I love on my babies, so that's good, too! lol

Hay cubes cannot replace loose hay. Guinea pigs need long strand grass hay to grind down their teeth and help with their digestions.

What kind of hay did u use before? A lot of people are really allergic to timothy hay but tolerate orchard/bluegrass hay really well.

Sounds great! Would love to see some pics.

Hay cubes cannot replace loose hay. Guinea pigs need long strand grass hay to grind down their teeth and help with their digestions.

Lissie, I appreciate the advice. I just began this conversation in another thread as I know this is a 'hot button' issue. The cubes I use contain 100% long-strand Timothy hay, no fillers, preservatives, etc. Our vet is happy with their teeth and their droppings. I am hyper vigilante with the rest of their diet, offering them the most nutrient dense greens (along with other fruits and vegetables, of course), locally sourced, only organic. I am doing the very best I can with regards to their health and mine. I should have been more clear.

do you clean the litter box after one day the hay gets smelly lol
Can I please can some advice for the litter box :)

Lissie, I appreciate the advice. I just began this conversation in another thread as I know this is a 'hot button' issue. The cubes I use contain 100% long-strand Timothy hay, no fillers, preservatives, etc. Our vet is happy with their teeth and their droppings. I am hyper vigilante with the rest of their diet, offering them the most nutrient dense greens (along with other fruits and vegetables, of course), locally sourced, only organic. I am doing the very best I can with regards to their health and mine. I should have been more clear.

We never advocate using hay cubes. If they are working for you, fine. But please don't give it as an alternative here on this website.

We never advocate using hay cubes. If they are working for you, fine. But please don't give it as an alternative here on this website.

I can only assume that you didn't read the entire thread. Or perhaps you just need to have the last word since you're a moderator.

I'm sure you've all been up nights, worrying about the health of my poor mistreated guinea pigs. Well, you can all rest easy and take Guinea Pig Protective Services off speed dial. I am happy to report that I have found a particular brand of organic meadow hay that doesn't cause an anaphylactic response when I use it (not that most of you gave a flying cuss about *my* well-being). It simply inspires regular hay fever symptoms that I'm happy to endure for the wellness of my little piggies. Everyone is thriving.

Before I sign off, I feel compelled to share that, with the exception of a couple of helpful posters, joining this forum felt like slipping into an abyss of Guinea Pig elitists, a phrase I didn't think existed, no less one I'd ever use. In all my 36 years, across breastfeeding vs. formula, attachment parenting vs. mainstream parenting, organic food vs. conventional, religion vs. atheism, have I ever felt so judged and unwelcome. This arena has the distinct stench of 'who can be the best'. I am literally speechless. I appreciate that these hay cubes are not ideal and clearly I came here looking for advice. What I got was ugly criticism and snarky, passive aggressive insults. Perhaps the majority of you don't re-read your responses before you post them. For the sake of my opinion of animal lovers and general humanity, I'm going to pretend that's true. But I suspect it isn't. And, like most virtual playgrounds, I can guarantee most of you would NEVER speak to another person the way you've spoken here.

I can only assume that you didn't read the entire thread. Or perhaps you just need to have the last word since you're a moderator.

I'm sure you've all been up nights, worrying about the health of my poor mistreated guinea pigs. Well, you can all rest easy and take Guinea Pig Protective Services off speed dial. I am happy to report that I have found a particular brand of organic meadow hay that doesn't cause an anaphylactic response when I use it (not that most of you gave a flying cuss about *my* well-being). It simply inspires regular hay fever symptoms that I'm happy to endure for the wellness of my little piggies. Everyone is thriving.

Before I sign off, I feel compelled to share that, with the exception of a couple of helpful posters, joining this forum felt like slipping into an abyss of Guinea Pig elitists, a phrase I didn't think existed, no less one I'd ever use. In all my 36 years, across breastfeeding vs. formula, attachment parenting vs. mainstream parenting, organic food vs. conventional, religion vs. atheism, have I ever felt so judged and unwelcome. This arena has the distinct stench of 'who can be the best'. I am literally speechless. I appreciate that these hay cubes are not ideal and clearly I came here looking for advice. What I got was ugly criticism and snarky, passive aggressive insults. Perhaps the majority of you don't re-read your responses before you post them. For the sake of my opinion of animal lovers and general humanity, I'm going to pretend that's true. But I suspect it isn't. And, like most virtual playgrounds, I can guarantee most of you would NEVER speak to another person the way you've spoken here.
You were not belittled, you were not scolded, you were not criticized in any way personally. The idea that hay cubes would replace loose hay is problematic; it doesn't provide the same benefits to the teeth or to the gut, both vitally important for obvious reasons, and in many cases is completely and utterly ignored by the guinea pig(s), which of course means it serves no purpose whatsoever. It's a minor topic, but one of tremendous significance because loose, long-strand grass hay plays a vital role in the health and well-being of guinea pigs and other herbivores - that is not an opinion, but a well established fact. So, yes, it is going to get the attention of the moderators when the implication is made that compressed cubes (whether 100% hay or not) might serve as an adequate replacement. It cannot. I appreciate that you were able to find a vet to recommend it; realistically, though, you can likely find a vet willing and able to recommend a wide variety of things known as problematic if you have the patience and the time. A single vet's opinion neither replaces nor negates the value of experience and time-tested standards of care. I have said this before and I will say it again now, what you personally choose to do for and with your animals is your business, but you cannot pass substandard care off as adequate to the membership here and that is where you can always count on one or more of us to step in and say so. I'm sorry you felt offended, but I doubt I'm alone in thinking your offense is without significant merit and if there's anyone who is guilty of being snarky, ugly, and immature, it's you. I strongly encourage you to grow up and move on.

Hay cubes are not long strand hay. Long strand means the hay is loose and is literally long strand.
Cubes are held together with molasses and molasses is very unhealthy for guinea pigs. I recommend trying out bluegrass or orchard hay.

This thread started around trying to keep hay from getting everywhere. To that end, I interpreted foggycreekcavy's post to inform that cubes are not a recommended solution for this issue; for purely ease of cleanup, they can compromise other benefits. I don't think there was any judgement in your care of your own pets, and it is clear from the thread that your allergies make this a necessity -not a choice- for you, as your allergies sound quite extreme.

This thread started around trying to keep hay from getting everywhere. To that end, I interpreted foggycreekcavy's post to inform that cubes are not a recommended solution for this issue; for purely ease of cleanup, they can compromise other benefits. I don't think there was any judgement in your care of your own pets, and it is clear from the thread that your allergies make this a necessity -not a choice- for you, as your allergies sound quite extreme.

Ditto. We all want what is best for the piggys. And truly, if the owner cannot give 100%, then the piggys' lives are at risk. So in reality, we want what is best for both parties. Owners and pigs.

Sorry guys, I posted my big rant in the wrong thread. I have endured some ugliness in another thread I started about the cubes.

On the actual topic:
I bought a corner litter box and set that up behind/under my hay rack. It does a great job. I put carefresh in it, and the do the most of their pooping/peeing there so I get a double bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.