Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Happy and Proud: Cage revamped!

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
After several long hours, I've finally finished revamping my C&C cage. Yay!

(The following pictures don't have my girls in them. I wanted to take photos of a clean cage first.)

I've added a storage area underneath the cage. Luckily for me, I had just enough grids and connecters, though I wish I had one more grid for extra support at the bottom. I'm going to stack some empty boxes later in place of that.

Over the past few days, my girls, for some reason or another, kept pulling up the fleece and Rhode kept burrowing underneath it. After getting some advice, I've decided to bind clip the fleece and towels together. Hopefully, they won't burrow underneath all that.

I've also changed the walls. The table cloth from before wasn't tie on that well. So, I bought a shower curtain instead. I ziptied it to the grid base to prevent it from moving and bind clipped it to the grid walls. The shower curtain was a lot bigger than the table cloth, so it actually managed to cover the entire back wall, dangling below the grid base.

This is the play and sleep area. I'm still using the grey fleece to mark that area. To the left is a towel tent, and to the right is their pigloo. I tried making two towel tents and taking out the pigloo instead, but my girls prefer having the choice between the pigloo and the towel tent. It's rather empty in the picture because I've forgotten to place their toys back it when I took it.

Before, the black fleece (it's folded in the picture) was used as the kitchen area, but it was too small and my girls kept pulling up the edges in the past few days. Luckily for me, I found a larger blue fleece blanket at the store (fleece blankets went out of stock a few days ago, and there weren't any other nearby stores that sold fleece). The rest of the blue fleece is either tuck under the towels or covered by the grey fleece, which is of the same size. There's a tile on top of the line. That's the only tile I have. Hopefully, Rhode won't burrow underneath the fleece. I might place small ceramic dishes to cover the rest of the line later.

This is the new hay area. My girls are always making a mess of the hay, so I bought a plastic tray for them, but then they peed and pooed in the tray, making it and the fallen hay really icky. So, now I placed a small towel over it and then wrapped and bind clipped the black fleece to it. Hopefully, they won't make that big of a mess now.

The hay rack is now ziptied to the grid walls, one grid hole above. This version of the hay rack is better than my previous ones because now it's now high enough not to bother me during the cage cleaning processing but low enough for my girls to reach it.
gHappy and Proud: Cage revamped!

But this isn't the final version of the cage. I'm currently saving up money to buy an air purifier this year and a coroplast tray and a piggy bedspread for next year (I might not buy it though, if the binder clips works out fine). And, in the future, I might expand the cage or add a loft.

What do you guys think of my new cage?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I love it! I just redid my cage today! Yours looks similar to mine!:D Very nice job! I didn't put a grid base under the Coro, but I have supports in the middle of my base. Hard to explain...

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Thanks! lol

I wish I had coro, but I couldn't find any. Not nearby anyhow. As mentioned earlier, I'm planning on buying one later on, most likely next year.

@NarwhalsRock Could you show me some pictures of the supports and your cage?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Oh, yeah! Derp. :D

I don't have any photos of the new cage, but the base is the same. Go to "Photos" and go to "Stands", which is near the bottom. The title is "The Design for My Awesome Stand" But, instead of the crossed cubes, take those 4 cubes, and turn them into the lines like the ones on the side. Put them at the intersection of 2 cubes in the middle.

I hope that makes sense...

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
That made sense. I might try that in the future, if I have coro.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
The hay tray was a great idea! :D Now the majority of the fallen hay is located there. Less area to clean up for me.

MichelleO

Cavy Slave
Love it! How clever...I really enjoy looking at pics of piggie homes! Do you have towels under the fleece? I use litter but am thinking of changing to a better set up.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Awesome job! It looks really cool!

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's really nice. I'd add something to the open side of the hay rack so none of them try to climb in and get injured.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
@MichelleO Thank you. Yes, I use towels underneath.

@xXMaggieXx Thank you

@pinky Thank you. I've been using that type of hay rack for quite a while already (I just hadn't zip tied it. Instead I just tied it) and my girls haven't tried climbing it. But I'd look into covering it. Don't want to chance it after all. Maybe ziptying a plastic bag to the opened area?

pinky

Cavy Slave
@MichelleO Thank you. Yes, I use towels underneath.

@xXMaggieXx Thank you

@pinky Thank you. I've been using that type of hay rack for quite a while already (I just hadn't zip tied it. Instead I just tied it) and my girls haven't tried climbing it. But I'd look into covering it. Don't want to chance it after all. Maybe ziptying a plastic bag to the opened area?

I wouldn't use a plastic bag because they'd probably eat it. You could cut a piece of coroplast to fit the opening and punch holes in it and zip tie it to the grid holder and grid on the cage.

shags

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I love it!

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use a plastic bag because they'd probably eat it. You could cut a piece of coroplast to fit the opening and punch holes in it and zip tie it to the grid holder and grid on the cage.

As mentioned (or implied) in my first post, I don't have a coroplast base, simply because I couldn't find any coroplast in the nearby stores and I don't have a car to check out the stores further away. Sometimes, it really sucks to not be living in downtown or in a city area.

I'm planning on ordering some online after I saved up enough money. The shipping fee is very expensive because it's a shipping from US to Canada.

@shags thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
As mentioned (or implied) in my first post, I don't have a coroplast base, simply because I couldn't find any coroplast in the nearby stores and I don't have a car to check out the stores further away. Sometimes, it really sucks to not be living in downtown or in a city area.

I'm planning on ordering some online after I saved up enough money. The shipping fee is very expensive because it's a shipping from US to Canada.

@shags thanks

Why don't you hang the water bottle there so it blocks the opening? Mine tend to take a bite of hay, take a drink and then eat more hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.