Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs only drink 1 out of 2 water bottles?

Ediamon1

Cavy Slave
Quincy and James have always only drank one of their water bottles. We finally went and picked up a new one the other day, and they still only drink out of the old one!

The only thing I could find online was that sometimes they don't like the smell of new bottles. I was going to try washing it to see if this might help. Can I use regular dish soap for this?

Also, does anyone have any other ideas why they might not be drinking out of their other bottles? Thanks!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
They're using the old bottle because they're used to it and it has their scent on it.

Guinea pigs have scent glands inside their cheeks. This is why you'll often see pigs sniff one another's mouths; it's similar to how dogs sniff each other's butts (only less off-putting for the humans watching ;D ). So every time they drink from the old bottle, they're leaving a scent mark.

Is there some reason that you need them to use the new bottle? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as they have enough water. But yes, you can clean a new water bottle with dish soap and water. I'd do that anyway before giving it to them just to wash off any weird residues or petstore cooties.

Ediamon1

Cavy Slave
Well I should say, they didn't use one of their other old bottles either. They'll only drink from the one old one. The other old one and the new one both get no drinking time.

I've just read that it's best if there's 2 of everything so each guinea can have 'their own stuff.' Quincy and James also aren't on the best of terms, so I just don't want there to be extra sources of tension.

To be honest though, it mainly just confuses me lol. I just tried washing it, I'll post back if there's any change in behavior. Thanks for your response!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My two girls also drink out of only one bottle. They use to drink only from the one on the left and then I lower the right hand side one. Now they only drink from the right hand side bottle.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
My pigs have two water bottles: one glass and one plastic. They far prefer the glass one. Not sure why, as the other one works, but it seems even piggies have their favorites!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.