Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Guinea pigs don't use chew sticks?

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
I adopted about a month ago and to prepare I bought the little chew sticks I thought would be ok since my hamsters loved them and they do sell them for piggies too. Well heres a perfect example of why you can't buy things from a petstore just because the package says it's for guinea pigs. I was reading on Cavy Spirits page and seen that you should just buy the wooden hideys since they usually ignore the chew sticks. This is so true for me.

So I was planning on buying one anyway but now I feel it is urgent. My question is do you think this has harmed the teeth in any way not having the wooden hidey for a month. I'm not sure what was at the foster home but there's no trouble eating as of yet. I feel so stupid though. I really did try to have everything I needed. But that's why I read here every day. Thanks anyone who replies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine have had wooden hideys that they never chewed, and I've never had a pig that chewed on a stick. None of them have ever had teeth problems. So no, your pig hasn't been harmed by not having a woodey hidey for a month. And even after you get it, the pig may not chew it.

Wooden hideys get filthy and are very hard to clean. I gave up on them long ago.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I bought two wooden log structures, they could be laid flat and used as a ramp, or you could bend them in a u shape and use them as cover. That's what I did, and Pooper and Sly would chew them often until the bark was gone, then they couldn't have cared less about them. Both of them chewed toilet paper tubes, and unless he got scared suddenly, Pooper would "sample" his plastic pigloo before he went in it, every time. He would reach his little neck up and chew the igloo for about 1 second, then he deemed it tasty enough to go inside. Pigs are so funny.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
My pigs love willow

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Mine ignore wood and chew cardboard and hay. Their teeth are fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.