Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea Pig Not Pooping As Much As Normal - Stress?

missbounce

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice. We've had a bit of a traumatic weekend at home. We lost are dear little boy Snoop on Saturday night and have since noticed his cage-mate Patrick has been behaving very differently.

He's obviously pining for Snoop (which is to be expected) and in the meantime, hubby and I are doing our best to give him lots of love, cuddles and play time to keep his mind off everything. However, one thing that does concern me is that he isn't pooping as much as normal.

Is it possible this is stress-related? He's eating OK and has cleared his bowl of veggies no problem. Just doesn't seem to be as much coming out the other end, if you know what I mean?

Has anybody else experienced this?

Check for impaction. That's my only suggestion. I'm sorry for your loss :(

He's definitely not impacted. Snoop (the piggy who just passed) had this regularly for his last couple of years, so we've become pros at spotting the symptoms on that one. Hoping when I get home from work this evening we'll have a few more beans scattered about. Never thought I'd hear myself say that!

Don't fool around with this -- a guinea pig who's not pooping is a guinea pig in danger. He could have bloat, or GI stasis. He may need a motility drug to get him going again. If he's not pooping normally by tonight, I'd get him to a vet in the morning. Or sooner if the pooping stops altogether.

Is he eat? Lack of poop is a bad thing. If they stop pooping all together you can have their GI tract stop working all together, which can kill them if I remember correctly.

I agree with Bpatters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.