Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior guinea pig is lethargic?

olliethepiggie

Cavy Gazer
my guinea pig is currently on treatment for mites (ivermectin) and i've been giving it to him orally for the past 2 weeks. however, recently he has started 'improving' i think, his scabs are healing, fur is growing back, and he hasn't been itching so much. but he has been mostly just laying down in his cage doing nothing. he's eating and drinking fine, and seems okay, but is just very quiet. i'm not sure if this is because he's just bored (he has no toys, a small cage, and no friends while he's being treated) or if it's because of something more serious. please help!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's alone and in a small cage, he's likely rather sad and lonely. Are you weighing him regularly? The biggest and best indicator of an ill pig is weight loss, and if he's undergoing treatment you likely should be weighing daily.

If he seems to be eating and drinking normally, that's good. But the best indication is weight. And yes, he's likely bored.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is the strength of the ivermectin? How much does your pig weigh? What dosage is he on? How often do you give it to hum?

Why is he separated from his cagemates? They already been thoroughly exposed. And if he's being treated for mites, they should be treated as well.

olliethepiggie

Cavy Gazer
What is the strength of the ivermectin? How much does your pig weigh? What dosage is he on? How often do you give it to hum?

Why is he separated from his cagemates? They already been thoroughly exposed. And if he's being treated for mites, they should be treated as well.
the ivermectin is 1.87% and i dilute it in 22 cc water. my pig is 2.6 pounds (1100 kilograms) and he gets 0.22 cc every week. i scheduled an appointment for him to go to the vet on wednesday, but i wanted to make sure he was okay until then. when i got him, i knew he had mites, so i got him alone and he does not yet have a cage mate. once he is cleared of mites i will go get him one. hopefully it's just boredom, he seems okay otherwise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.