Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings from Philadelphia

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Hello all!

I recently got my fourth g.p. and found all these wonderful resources on the Internet. Sophy's main home will be in my 5th grade classroom, but I like the idea of a more open space. One of my students had a pen and her g.p. loved it, so I'm looking into one of those for school. I'm not sure how the custodians would feel about the big C&C cage. (Actually, I know they would freak. ;) )

I have a question about using sheves/perches. I purchased one at the store and installed at the lowest level I could. I put some alfalfa hay up there and placed Sophy on the shelf, but she ran right down the ramp. I tried this a few times and every time she ran down. She has never gone up the ramp to sit on the perch. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to just leave it and keep putting treats up there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and I look forward to participating in the group! I hope to get some pics of Sophy scanned soon.

Denise U.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

Guinea pigs really aren't good classroom pets; actually, it's more like the classroom isn't a good place for pets at all.

We'd love to see some pictures of your pig, and would love to have you participate in the forum. Please reconsider your decision to keep your pig in the classroom, and please consider building a C&C cage. You should also consider getting your pig a friend, as they are herd animals.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

Guinea pigs are known to trigger very severe allergies in a lot of people, it can be their fur, their dander, their urine, a combination of all three, or the grass hay that they need in unlimited quantities to be really healthy!

I would think many students could be allergic to the pigs or the hay, maybe they will not know, just feel crappy at school, the connection may never be made between their health, and that of the classroom resident! It really is some food for thought, as I am sure you would not want to jeopardize the health or well being of any of your students!

Also, guinea pigs a herd animals, they do best in pairs or groups. A lone guinea pig indeed lives a sad existence without any companionship from its own kind.

They also really do require the space needed from a C&C. Are you sure you cannot provide a minimum of 7.5 square feet? It really is not that much room! If you read through the Testimonials at the top of this page, you will see hundreds of accounts that detail how happy the pigs that move into these larger enclosures really are!

Also, being a prey animal, most really do not enjoy being in a noisy classroom, and handled excessively.

I am sure you want to be a responsible supervising adult, but please understand this site (and others) have seen some really horrible cases of neglect with classroom pets. Photos that would make you cry, because after the novelty wears off, they are often not taken care of properly.

If you build a cage, with 6 inch high sides, it really should not be any problem for the custodian, provided you help out with cleaning the cage / around the cage a little. It really should not take much time, you could put the cage on a table, similar to a wood train table (Brio/ Thomas) so it is really easy to sweep around / under it. Or, you could use extra cube grids too, but may be a little harder to clean.

This site is really passionate about animal welfare. Under most circumstances, pigs and classrooms don't mix very well, if you are determined to "make it work" please don't compromise the size of the pigs living space or other requirements, such as companionship and proper food. It just is not fair.

Please also see:
NEWBIES- Please Read This Post FIRST!!!

Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I've always had guinea pigs in my classroom, and they were very happy and healthy. They teach the kids responsibility and consideration for others. I also said I've had guinea pigs since I was 7 years old, and I am now 32 - what novelty is going to wear off?

As for the custodians, they don't like the plants I keep in my room; I can't imagine building a C&C cage that takes up so much floor space.

I did read the Newbies post - what are you thinking I missed?

I have to say, this is not the welcome I was expecting. I am very disappointed.

Denise U.

Last edited:

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I can't imagine building a C&C cage that takes up so much floor space.

Sorry you are dissappointed but this is a website and forum for those who want a better cage/life for their guinea pigs. If you are not willing to make a C&C cage of an appropriate size why did you come here? You should know how much pigs love to popcorn and run laps. How can it be done in a petstore cage with food bowl, water bottle, hidey house and other toys taking up all the floor space? This is my first C&C cage. It was built on a folding table size 2 feet by 4 feet. It is just a few squares shy of a 2 x 3. I also ended up trimming the coro down across the front.
1stCCcage-1.jpg

Also, keeping a classroom pet is one thing, but keeping it alone is another. Your pig is alone all night and all weekend? How is this good? Do you take her home each day and weekend? That is good if you do. You could be the one responsible teacher/owner that is a rare bird to find. I hope you are. As a cavy owner you should know that a companion for your cavy is very important. If you have only ever had one cavy at a time, you don't know what joy you are missing at seeing them interact with each other and form a bond.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
It's unfortunate that you feel your welcome to the forum was lacking; however, we feel very strongly about the proper care of non-human animals and believe that the classroom is no place for guinea pigs.

You can read more on this topic at the following links: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cage-schools.html?highlight=animals+classroom

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-having-pigs.html?highlight=animals+classroom

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cavy-chat/16919-tears-shock.html?highlight=animals+classroom

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...s-classrooms.html?highlight=animals+classroom

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-sons-school.html?highlight=animals+classroom

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...kindergarten.html?highlight=animals+classroom

You might also check out this link from PETA on the idea of non-human animals in the classroom: (broken link removed)

I hope you will stay; I also hope you will reconsider your decision to have animals in the classroom.

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Did anyone read past the first sentence of my post where I said I was a teacher?

Perhaps "class mascot" is a better term than class pet, because I do not let the kids hold my guinea pigs. I don't trust them. In my classroom, tables are used for students to work. I'm not one of those teachers who sits at my desk all day watching kids from afar at their desks all day. I use centers, even in fifth grade. I'm not your typical teacher.

I joined this group to find out how to get Sophy to use the perch I bought for her. Her cage is already 2x3x1, and would have another square foot of floor space if she would use the perch. I also puchased a pen where she can exercise twice a day, as recommended on your own website.

Half the members are listed as cavy cagers. Do you attack them, too?

Denise

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I'm not quite sure where it is you think you were attacked. You may indeed be the most remarkable and wonderful teacher to ever grace the face of this earth. That's beside the point. The point is that one of our firmly held beliefs is that animals do not belong in the classroom.

I hope you at least took the time to read some of the links provided to you.

When you say her cage is a 2x3x1, I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean 2 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot or 2 grids by 3 grids by 1 grid? Each grid is longer than a foot, which means a cage that is 2 feet by 3 feet is not the same size as a cage that is 2 grids by 3 grids.

I'm also not sure what you mean by a "perch". Perhaps you could post what brand of cage you have or post a picture of your perch. I can't make suggestions on how to get you pig to use something when I don't know what it is.

Again, while it's unfortunate you feel "attacked", I hope you will stay and learn more about the care of your guinea pig. I also continue to hope that you will reconsider your decision to keep your guinea pigs in the classroom.

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Her cage is 2 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot high. The perch is like a shelf, it fits into the corner and has a ramp. She won't go up the ramp. I put her alfalfa hay up there, which she just loves, but wouldn't go up there to get it, even though I left it there for 2 or 3 days. I placed her on the perch and let her sniff the hay, but about 3 seconds after letting go, she turned and ran down the ramp. I know it can take a while to train cavies, but are there any other ways to encourage her to use the ramp? Almost all of your pictures have ramps to second floors, etc., so I want to know how you got your g.p.s to go up them.

Thanks,
Denise

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I think I would probably take her favorite vegetable, and break it up into small pieces, and place it in a trail up the ramp with the majority of it on her perch. I think I would probably only give her all her vegetables up there on the perch in order to force her to go up there. I think eventually she will get the idea and go on up there on her own. You might also put something like a piece of fleece up there to make it cozy and also do something to the ramp to give her more traction.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
How old is your guinea pig?

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Sophy is about 5 weeks old. I got her 2 Fridays ago, and last week the vet said she was about a month old. (She has a skin infection on her ear, and the store's solution was to return her. I said, No way!!)

The last g.p. I had was 5 years old when I adopted her, and I figured that was why she wouldn't use the perch. Sophy is just a baby and I thought it would be easier to get her to try it. She is very trusting and we have already bonded. She likes to rest on my shoulder, though I have short hair so it is kind of funny.

Thank you for the suggestion about the vegetable trail and fleece, I will try that.

Denise U.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
2'X3' is smaller than we recommend for any guinea pig to live in, and the perch/shelf/whatever you want to call it does not add extra sqare footage. It actually takes a bit away because with a ramp, your pig can't use the entire first floor to run around and play. When you're measuring 2'X3', are you measuring the sides of the cage at the widest part or the bottom usable part of the cage. Your cage is probably smaller than you think it is.

Susan gave you a few good ideas on how to get your pig to go up the ramp though. Personally, with a cage that size, I wouldn't bother at all with the perch and ramp.

Are you planning on adopting a friend for Sophy? Cavies are herd animals and most prefer having at least one other of their own species in the cage with them. You would definitely need a larger cage if you get Sophy a friend.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
The perch is i am not mistaken is actually called a 'Corner Shelf'. I don't see these as being useful for pigs. I have them for my chinchilla. The ramps you see in the gallery lead to much larger areas than a corner shelf has. I am sure she doesn't feel stable on it.
Is this what you have? I use them to put Buddy's potties on.
DSCF1928sm.jpg

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
A student in my class had a perch for her g.p. who loved it.

As for measuring the cage, I am a math teacher, I do know how to measure. =) And I did read the newbie post about how to accuratley measure a cage. By the way, do you realize someone could build a cage with a one-foot-square floor and 7.5 foot height and meet the recommendation 7.5 cubic feet? Do you really want a g.p. living in a 12x12" area? That is why I mentioned ground space. Like I said, I'm a mathemetician.

On that subject, I would like to address some assumptions made about my care of Sophy and g.p.s in general because I am a teacher.

First of all, I do now allow students to handle my guinea pigs. Like I said previously, I don't trust them. In seven years of teaching, exactly two students have held my g.p.s, and one of them was the former owner. (I adopted the g.p. after my student's brother was diagnosed as severly asmathic and allergic to all animals; they had to give away all of their pets.) So perhaps class mascot is a better term than class pet. Very little petting is allowed!

Second of all, my classroom is quiet. I have sensitive hearing and cannot tolerate loud noises; no one can think in that kind of environment, including me. My principal frequently remarked on her daily visits that she thought she was interrupting a test because my class works so quietly. Other teachers teased me about the lack of noise, when it was just the example and expectation I set. I have also found that students who won't be quiet when a kid asks them will be quiet when it is for the sake of the guinea pig. My second graders would shush each other after I brought Rory in so as not to bother him.

As for the size of the cage, I am trying to make it bigger with the shelf. My guinea pig in Arizona, Rory, would run around (full grown) like crazy in his same sized cage as Sophy (baby). I have considered getting her a companion, though I was looking into a dwarf rabbit as I have heard they make good friends. (Is that true?) I also bought her a pen as she has already shown a likeness for wandering around on the floor. I plan to put down newspapers and cover it with fleece so she will be comfy. And I will be taking her home on the weekends - I already bought a little carrying case.

Please don't assume all teachers are thoughtless idiots because there have been some bad animal stories! Just as not all people are the same, not all teachers are the same, and I fight against those assumptions and prejudices every day.

Thanks again,
Denise U.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm not aware of anywhere that we have posted that the cage should be a minimum of 7.5 cubic feet. It's square feet. If the size has been misposted somewhere, please post the link, so we can get this fixed. So, assuming that the size is 7.5sq ft, no, you can not make a cage that is 1'sq by 7.5' high and have that work. It should also say somewhere that that 7.5sq ft needs to all be on one level. I never questioned whether or not you knew how to use a tape measure or what your degree was in. I asked if you measured the side walls or the very bottom of the cage.

As far as guinea pigs and rabbits being good friends, nothing could be farther from the truth. They have different nutritional needs, so you wouldn't be able to feed them the same pellets and some of the veggies given should also be different. Even with the sweetest of rabbits, your guinea pig has an enormous chance of getting beat up. An excited rabbit might kick or jump on your pig, and there is little or nothing she would be able to do about it. This could happen just in the course of the rabbit hopping across the cage.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Even teachers need to review things from time to time. Please go back and re-read the newbies thread. Please also read this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...conceptions-about-guinea-pigs-their-care.html.

You'll see that guinea pigs and rabbits don't mix. Your cage is also too small to keep more than 1 animal as it is.

The whole purpose of this site is about providing MORE space for guinea pigs. You cage, by our standards, is too small. Putting a ramp in takes away from the amount of ground space available. If you're determined to do it, then I guess you will, but it's not something anyone on this forum will recommend or condone.

We also can't condone keeping a guinea pig in a classroom. No matter how well-behaved your students are or how attentive you are, the bottom line is that there is too much potential for things to go wrong. We're already seeing one of the problems - you can't provide adequate space for your guinea pig because the school's custodians will object.

I'm not sure what you're hoping for ... if you're wanting someone to come along and say, "Eureka! We've finally found the *one* teacher who can pull it off ... and even if it means she must keep the pig in such a small cage, it's worth it because she's so smart and wonderful and will do such a good job!" Unfortunately, no one here will. And that is why we want you to stay here - we want you to see the problems with small space and animals in the classroom and all the other problems that can occur. And the only way you can learn all that stuff is if you stay and read and learn.

So please, stay. Stay and read and learn.

deniselouise

Cavy Slave
Even teachers need to review things from time to time.

I have 400 hours of professional development in the last 3 years. You're preaching to the choir there. =)

You'll see that guinea pigs and rabbits don't mix.

That's why I asked. Thanks for clearing it up.

Your cage, by our standards, is too small.

Your home page says 7.5 square feet... She will have 7, plus the pen to exercise twice a day which was also mentioned on this site. I don't understand the miscommunication when I am using your data?

... the bottom line is that there is too much potential for things to go wrong.

Believe me, I am always telling my students that most accidents are preventable.

I think I will close my end of this discussion with two quotes that accurately describe my life: I'm not other people. I think for myself. (Using the information provided by this website, I don't understand why we are debating this... ?)

Thanks again,
Denise U.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
deniselouise said:
Your home page says 7.5 square feet... She will have 7,
She will have 6. If you've read all of the information on our webpage, you will also note that second levels, or perches if you want to call them that, do not count in the square footage. Even if it was to be 7, how does that equal to the 7.5 that our home page suggests? You said you were a mathematician. If you can explain how 7=7.5, please let me know.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm just a nurse ... no where near being a "mathematician" or even a teacher, but I think 3'x2' = 6 sq. ft.

That's not our recommendation. We recommend 7.5 square feet without counting upper levels. *I* don't understand why you don't seem to understand that.

And you still don't seem to realize that the classroom isn't the place for animals. It's unfortunate.

I hope some time here will help change your mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.