Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings from San Francisco Bay Area!

Mizz P

Cavy Slave
My husband and I are parents to a single boar named "Spork." He spends most of his time in a 2X4 CC and comes down a ramp for floor time every evening. Our house is very small (~900 sq ft) so he is within eyesight of us at all times. We had an elderly single boar for two years before he passed away and we had him freeze dried so he is always there for us.

Can I ask who you used for freeze drying and the price? I've wanted to do something like that for my cat/dog, but didn't know a proper phrase for it.

I used "Preserved Pets" in Southern California. I don't recall the exact price, but our guinea pig was around $450. The cost is determined by size. I've inserted photos of him, while he was still alive and then after he was... processed. If you have any questions let me know or you can call PP directly. The owner, Jim, is very helpful.

Attachments

IMAG0598(2).jpg PXL_20220127_021058116.PORTRAIT.jpg
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!

To each their own, but I don't think I could have that done with any of my boys. By no means am I condemning it, I just couldn't do it. Too heartbreaking for me. I have to say though, the boy you lost brought tears to my eyes. He looks very much like my boy Pooper, whom I lost in 2016. You can see him in my avatar, and in my photos.

Pooper! Wow, I see the resemblance! My husband and I are retirees and our boy Gremlin was my husband's first ever fur-bearing pet (I grew up with all manner of critters in the house.) He had a turtle and fish when he was a kid but never anything like a dog, cat, or guinea pig. He and Gremlin became best friends and when G passed suddenly, we were devastated. I totally understand not wanting to do something like this, but for us it has been a gift being able to still chat him up every morning. Who would know that so much love is in such a small package, right?
Greetings from San Francisco Bay Area!

This photo is remarkably similar to one of your photos of Pooper and shows Gremlin in his papa's lap. Such beautiful memories.

Pooper! Wow, I see the resemblance! My husband and I are retirees and our boy Gremlin was my husband's first ever fur-bearing pet (I grew up with all manner of critters in the house.) He had a turtle and fish when he was a kid but never anything like a dog, cat, or guinea pig. He and Gremlin became best friends and when G passed suddenly, we were devastated. I totally understand not wanting to do something like this, but for us it has been a gift being able to still chat him up every morning. Who would know that so much love is in such a small package, right? View attachment 110021
This photo is remarkably similar to one of your photos of Pooper and shows Gremlin in his papa's lap. Such beautiful memories.
Pooper had an original name. He was originally my sons pig, which didn't last long. I'm almost positive his original name was Maverick, as my son had a penchant for naming almost every pet he had Maverick and Goose.

Even though I had all manner of critters growing up also, Pooper quickly became my best friend also. Although I knew he was declining, his sudden passing was also devastating. I have so many photos of all my pigs, but a fair chunk of Pooper and Sly's documented life were lost in a hard drive crash a month after his passing. I still have the drive so that one day it can be retrieved. As of now I still have roughly 10K photos of all my boys :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.