Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fabric Softener Fiasco! What can I do?

ashiffman

Cavy Slave
I bought various patterns of anti-pill fleece from Jo-Ann Fabrics for bedding, and put them in the washing machine to get them wicked. But horrors, I realized that I mistook the fabric softener bottle for the detergent, and had the fleece swimming around in pure fabric softener for about 15 minutes. I know that fabric softener is the one thing NOT to use, so I added vinegar and detergent, and washed them for two more rounds. They don't absorb any liquid whatsoever now, the urine just lies like a pool on top.

Does anyone know if and how I can ever get rid of the fabric softener overdose? Washing them several times again? In just vinegar? Anything? (This is a very expensive mistake - over $40 worth of fleece, so I'll try anything!) Thanks!:eek:hmy:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try washing in hot water with Dawn dish soap and vinegar.
You can also try soaking it in vinegar for a day and wash it.

ashiffman

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Lissie. Do you mean washing them with Dawn and vinegar in the washing machine, or just scrubbing them in the sink?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can wash in the washing machine.

Someone also posted you can soak them in your bath tub.

My washing machine is a top loader. I usually stop the cycle after it filled up the water and let it soak.

ashiffman

Cavy Slave
Maybe I'll try the bathtub. I only have the washers and dryers in the laundry room of my apartment complex, and once I put in the money and press the button, it's locked for good until the entire cycle is complete.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.