Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Elroy, Rockit and Chewy - New to the site (pics included)

Welcome to the site! Your pigs are so adorable! I love the design of your cage, but I think it's too small for 3 pigs. From the picture, it looks like a 3x3 with a corner cut off. A 3x3 (even without the cut corners) is too small for 3 males. Once they reach their teenage state, they may start to fight. Males are very territorial, it would be nice if you could expand the main level of their cage.

It technically has 7 grids on the floor so that would make it a 2x3 with a bit extra. It maybe a bit small for 3 males but as long as the males get alone (they are coming into their adolescence at 5-10 months so watch out) and you give them plenty of floor time I don't see why anyone needs to say badly. If you can improve in the future that would be good. Also upper levels and cut off sections dont count because they need room to run laps.

Agreed on the space issue. Right now I'm still feeling things out... I am keeping the floor time area open all the time w/ fleece lining and waterproof mattress pad underneath. They are popcorning / lap running mad men!!! Lol

But, I think I'm going to take advantage of the space below the kitchen, remove the chest in the above photos and build a 2x4.5 area with ladder drop in the center for laps.

And... Extend the kitchen, while I'm at it :)

Update:

Extended the kitchen area and built a 11 sq ft lower area w/ external ramp tube.

OH! I love the external tunnel so it doesn't take up space inside-how do they like it??
Great idea!

OH! I love the external tunnel so it doesn't take up space inside-how do they like it??
Great idea!

It works great. I lined it with light sand paper, hoping that not only can they climb it easily but also it keeps down their nails. So far so good.

Hehe, I've already seen Rockit napping in there :eek:)

Hi Sean!
What a lovely set up you've got going on there! I love your piggies expressions I laughed when I read Stef41's comment because that is Exactly how I felt too!

I want to say thanks - you answered my ponderings on how to line the tube tunnels we are planning for our future set up. My husband is still adamant he will want our piggers to have free choice access to the enclosed outside grass and special "square foot garden" (piggie everyday veggies, veggie garden) we are planning.

Now I will put nail trimming fine sand paper on our list of cage building supplies! You seem a really nice Dad!

Why can't you come to my house and build my new cage? Hehe. Geez, you put everyone to shame with your beautiful cage designs! Adorable pigs and great looking cage. The green-eyed monster has returned...

Wow... I'm awestruck by your cage (as well as your extremely attractive pigs). I have seen many actual houses that looked easier to build than your cage lol I was planning to do some cage renovations myself in the coming day.... I will not allow my pigs to look at your pictures, I certainly don't want them to get their hopes up that what I come up with will be anywhere near this cool :melodrama

Last edited:
WOW ! Very clever cage set up !! I love your pigtures too, such handsome little guys ! I love how you caught Elroy's pose and Rockit is severely kissable ! Do you find the bottom hard to clean though ? I love all your ideas, and the outside tube-ramp with the sandpaper inside, pure genius ! Sorry...was so blown away I forgot to say, "ahem", Welcome to the forum Sean !

WOW ! Very clever cage set up !! I love your pigtures too, such handsome little guys ! I love how you caught Elroy's pose and Rockit is severely kissable ! Do you find the bottom hard to clean though ? I love all your ideas, and the outside tube-ramp with the sandpaper inside, pure genius ! Sorry...was so blown away I forgot to say, "ahem", Welcome to the forum Sean !

Actually, the bottom is the easiest. I open the front (or top), fold in thirds, pull the whole thing out, shake outside and wash. It's one layer fleece, one layer u-haul blanket, and a waterproof mattress pad all sewn together (to protect the carpet... I do get a few random escapee poos though). My other piggy blankets are fleece above 2 layers of u-haul blanket layers.

I really envy your organizational skills and ingenuity. Your cage is so polished, I'd seriously would pay someone a good sum of money to make me anything remotely as good looking.

Your boys are very lucky to have an endearing owner, and they're so handsome too! I really like the name Elroy, so classy but whimsical.

Is it hard to keep the cage that neat and clean? I have three girls and being neat is not something they are particularly good at, they poop on everything they can climb atop and poop slinging is like a hobby for them. T_T

Those are some extreamly handsome boys! I love your cage and the fleece! This is the best cage I've seen by far!
Just wanted to add the edible tunnel in your top level is not good for the piggers, it is ful of fattening and unhealthy ingredients!

Last edited:
Those are some extreamly handsome boys! I love your cage and the fleece! This is the best cage I've seen by far!
Just wanted to add the edible tunnel in your top level is not good for the piggers, it is ful of fattening and unhealthy ingredients!

I also read that recently but left it in since they don't really nibble on it at all. Of course if it gets soiled somehow, it's out.

I really envy your organizational skills and ingenuity. Your cage is so polished, I'd seriously would pay someone a good sum of money to make me anything remotely as good looking.

Your boys are very lucky to have an endearing owner, and they're so handsome too! I really like the name Elroy, so classy but whimsical.

Is it hard to keep the cage that neat and clean? I have three girls and being neat is not something they are particularly good at, they poop on everything they can climb atop and poop slinging is like a hobby for them. T_T

Loads of poop around here too. I scoop once or twice a day. Hehe

WOW, love your cage; it looks so neat! Your pigs are adorable too! Welcome!

Welcome, & what a great set-up for your piggies! They must have a lovely time exploring, & you must have a lot of fun watching them! They're all really cute little guys, too :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.