Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dry Ear -New Piggy from Petsmart

keshia.fletcher

Cavy Slave
Just purchased two boars from Pet smart on Saturday. Three days ago I noticed my son's guinea has a dried out ear with scab like area around the bottom edge.

If I use the 14 day guarantee I have to return the pig and will get first dibs on buying him back once well. With a new pig just getting used to his new cage it would be hard to do that, especially in the fact that my son doesn't want to lose his new pet for that long. And I can't afford a vet myself after just spending everything for the piggies and buying them.

I found on the internet that monistat could work if it's a fungal infection so I thought it was worth a try. I have put it on twice a day for two days and now this evening the pig's ear is more like tiny open sores red looking and definitely sore to him as he shook his head as I tried to just apply some triple antibiotic cream this time.

Do you think the triple antibiotic cream with clear it up now the rest the way? I am trying anything before returning him, we don't give up on family and they are our new members. I have one week left to try to clear this up on my own before my petsmart deadline. And if this happens I fear my boar with two weeks alone will not like him when he returns.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Could you take a picture of it and post it?

Yes monistat will work for fungal infections, you just need to apply it sparingly so they can't rub any off and ingest it. You are also correct that if the anti-fungal cream isn't working then it is likely bacterial, and the triple anti-biotic cream will work to clear that up. Just like with the anti-fungal cream you should apply the anti-biotic cream sparingly. I don't know if two days is really long enough to be sure the anti-fungal cream wasn't working, if it suddenly gets much worse with the anti-biotic cream then it is almost certainly fungal.

Here is a very informative page about fungal infections https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

keshia.fletcher

Cavy Slave
7ac60c4fb0b4378bcb00051500bebb48.jpg

Hope that picture worked. I switched to the triple antibiotic cream because I was afraid I made it worse really. If it was a fungal infection would the monistat have made it look like this?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I don't have much personal experience with fungal infections as I have fortunately only had to deal with it once in one individual (as it luckily did not spread through my heard), but it did initially appear to get worse after I started applying anti-fungal cream. After the third day the patch finally stopped spreading and began to shrink, if took about two weeks for the patch to finally clear.

I would stick with the anti-fungal cream for a bit longer, just because if it is actually bacterial then the anti-fungal cream won't help but it won't make things worse but if it is fungal then the anti-biotic cream will make it spread faster. Also keep in mind that you will need to maintain proper hygiene after handling him as fungal infections are contagious to humans.

keshia.fletcher

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice. I will try the monistat a longer then and will update on how he is doing. I'm just glad my family got them out of that pet store then. We definitely have been doing some major hand washing before and after handling. My son named him groot because he is just such a calm guinea pig. I will update on how he is doing. Thanks again!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Unfortunately if you take him back to the pet store you might not get him back for awhile. I've read stories here about people who took theirs back for medical reasons, thinking they'd get them right back when treated, but weeks later still haven't.

Guinea pigs from pet stores often have medical issues. Probably the stress from being transported plus the small cage conditions. It's a better idea to adopt from a rescue or shelter.

Did you also buy a cage from Petsmart? It's most likely too small--check out the cage size standards at https://www.guineapigcages.com .

If there are open sores, you do not want to apply an anti-fungal cream. I would try some cold pressed coconut oil instead. Once the wounds heal up you might try the cream again.

keshia.fletcher

Cavy Slave
It's sad really. I checked on the rescue centers but I actually don't have any close to me at all. I have them in the Midwest guinea pig habitat plus so it's like 47 by 24 I believe so they are having a blast. I tired to let them realize they had a whole other section on the other side of the ramp on their own but by the third night I had to give them a nudge and they love it running back and forth. Groots ear was doing much better this morning definitely clearing up which I am happy to see. I sat there and told him well thank goodness we managed to fix this on our own!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That cage may be fine for young pigs, but it won't be large enough for adult boars. You'll need to be thinking of some way to trade it in on a new one or enlarge their area so they've got more room.

keshia.fletcher

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice I will definitely keep that in mind as they get bigger :)

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
I got Pig, my younger cavy from pet smart too. She had a pretty gruesome cut above one eye, and the workers didn't even notice!!! Poor girl. So i used some antibiotics (safe, don't worry) and within a week it was all better. Now the hair is grown back and Pig seems fine again! Good luck with your piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.