Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vision does my guinea pig looks blind?

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Hey. My guinea pigs eye looks like that ever since yesterday and by what i've seen, it seems as he's gone blind in that eye? Can you tell me if i'm right? 1479214745121.jpg1479214745121.jpg1479214796053.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can tell you he's in pain and needs to see a vet ASAP, but probably isn't blind, yet. But he may go blind if the eye isn't treated.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I can tell you he's in pain and needs to see a vet ASAP, but probably isn't blind, yet. But he may go blind if the eye isn't treated.

How can you tell he is in pain? What's wrong with the eye? I believe the eye looks perfectly normal to me. The third photo looks like it may be a cataract or it's just the camera.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave

I know i should take him to a vet but it's very expensive and i can't efford it at all.... anything i can do at home to make it better for him?

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Hi there, It's hard to tell what you are specifically asking about re: the eye. It looks squinty to me and also in the last photo does appear to be cloudy (could be the camera though). I do agree with @bpatters that if there is a laceration or hay poke or anything making the eye irritated it is likely very painful and needs to be seen by a vet. The two pigs we have taken to the vet for hay pokes have gotten drops, pain meds and recovered extremely quick!

Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then why do you have a pet if you can't afford to take care of it? Medical care is just as important as food, drink, and a cage. Your pig depends on you for everything, and it's not far to him to have him as a pet and let him suffer.

You can't get antibiotic eyedrops without a prescription, as far as I know. And that's probably what he needs.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Are human antibiotic eyedrops okay to use or does it need to be something special for animals? @bpatters

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Human antibiotic drops might work, and probably wouldn't hurt. Just make sure they don't run down his face so that he can swipe with his paws and then lick them.

But how do you know he doesn't have something stuck in his eye?

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Human antibiotic drops might work, and probably wouldn't hurt. Just make sure they don't run down his face so that he can swipe with his paws and then lick them.

But how do you know he doesn't have something stuck in his eye?

If he had something in his eye i would of seen it no? I tried looking around his eye as much as i could without hurting him of course and it didn't seem like he had anything in there
And also thank you!! I will try that! One question though, i saw in another thread that i think you said that the contect lences liquid is also good to use so is it good in this case too? Cause i saw it helped the women who needed it

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I'd look around at vets near you to get an estimate of exam prices (because that's the start to any kind of treatment). Go for the exam and see what they recommend. Just be honest with the vet and see what they recommend for at home treatment or how much whatever they prescribe would be. Most vets will work with you because they want what is best for the animal too. You can try the treatments recommended but it's good to have a cost idea if you have to go to the vet. Eye injuries can become very serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
This needs a vet.

Eye injuries are painful and can turn very serious. He is in pain, you can tell by the way he is squinting.

It would be much more inexpensive to take him in now, have him examined and prescribed an appropriate and effective medication to heal the eye. Compared to waiting and fooling around with human eye drops while the eye becomes worse. Waiting could result in him becoming blind in that eye, severe infection, the eye to burst or he could require it to be removed.

Part of having pets is being prepared to care for them medically.

As for the saline, it can help flush the eye and dislodge any debris around the eye, but it won't do much in the way of healing the eye.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @sallyvh. And no, you wouldn't necessarily see anything that's in the eye if it's a total puncture.

You need to get this pig to the vet so it can be treated with pain medicine and whatever else it needs.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
UPDATE:
I've been using the eyedrops for a few days now and my guinea pig's eye is now back to a normal shape, size and colour and he doesnt squint anymore for 3 days now! Thank you to everyone who helped from me and little Derek♡♡♡

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That's great! Post a pic so we can see the progress.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.