Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do I need to Baby proof?

GuineaPig333

Cavy Slave
I got a baby guinea pig about three weeks ago as a companion to my other pig Gracey. I'm going to introduce the baby (Hazel) and Gracey on Monday and if things go well they will be moving into the same cage.
The cage is a 2x4 C&C cage with a loft. The sides are 14 inches tall and the coroplast goes up 6 1/2 inches.
Hazel is about 7 weeks old and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to baby proof the cage or not before she moves in.

What is the point of baby proofing? So they can't jump over the sides or so they don't get their heads stuck in the holes?

If I do need to baby proof how do I do it?

I would really appreciate any help! I have really been stressing over this and I just want to get it solved.

You can baby proof by over lapping more grids over the ones you have so the squares are really small, or you can add more coroplast or cardboard up the sides. This is to be sure no heads get stuck! There are links you can read about it to I'll see of I can find them :)

Yes you should probably baby-proof the cage, this link should give you some idea of how to do it: Baby proofed 2x4 with lid, front view - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

If you look through the rest of the album you'll get more ideas, and examples of exactly how it's done.

It's done so that guinea pigs don't get their head's caught/hang themselves.

What's a safe opening size for 3 weeks old?

Thanks everyone! I baby-proofed the cage before we got the new baby Hazel and I just recently took it off because she's as big as my other pig and she's almost six months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.