Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Do I need a waterproof layer with my liner

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Kim Dallas Flannel absorbs liquid rather than wicks it to the bottom, so no it wouldn't work. Uhaul is about $7.95 per 'pad' lol which is huge, they're each 68x85 inches.

Kim Dallas

Cavy Slave
@Kim Dallas Flannel absorbs liquid rather than wicks it to the bottom, so no it wouldn't work. Uhaul is about $7.95 per 'pad' lol which is huge, they're each 68x85 inches.

Thanks very much!!! :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What is the purpose of the two layers of fleece? The liners I use are made with one layer of fleece followed by two layers of UHaul furniture pad, and I don't find that moisture soaks through beyond the second layer of UHaul.

Some people put a layer of fleece on each side so they can flip the liner and have a fresh layer of fleece.

Levenn

Cavy Slave
How does zorb hold up? I am curious because I can buy in bulk. Also what site do you get it from. I know of one...but I was wondering if there are others.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I was the one who posted that I use Zorb. I've only had my piggies since November, so I can only speak for the past 2 months or so. But I have no complaints thus far. It's real easy to work with (unlike batting) as far as sewing with it.
I bought my Zorb on ebay.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Some people put a layer of fleece on each side so they can flip the liner and have a fresh layer of fleece.

Wouldn't the other side be wet? I wouldn't think this setup would be very clean.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Wouldn't the other side be wet? I wouldn't think this setup would be very clean.

The moisture stays in the absorbent material in the middle, so the fleece stays dry (on both sides) -- unless, of course, the pad is allowed to sit there a very long time.

With my potty pads that I use, after a day or so I can smell pee from the top side if I hold it to my nose. But if I smell the other side of the pad, often there is no smell on that side.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Really I just think it would look better with a pattern fleece paired with a solid fleece on the botton. And that way the uhaul pad would be covered. The uhaul pad isn't really that pleasant to look at :).

I heard some people complain about using 2 uhauls with 2 fleece and it not drying well. I don't have a washer or dryer so I have to go to a laundry mat to wash my stuff. I was just gonna make a liner with 1 uhaul pad sandwiched between 2 fleece. But like I said I don't want any pee going through the second fleece and onto the coroplast. So really if I did a waterproof layer then the second fleece would just be for looks.

But fleece is wicking so that bottom layer of fleece would wick it to the liner! When we had a coroplast liner, we put down, a layer of newspapers, a layer of towels folded in half and then fleece. Once we always just wiped down our coroplast with vinegar water when we cleaned.
You don't see the uhaul pad anyway! Now I use a big sheet of vinyl, layer of newpapers, I cut the uhaul pad so it covers the whole cage, layer of towels and fleece!!! It seems like a lot and sometimes it leaks through all that in the week.
Pee WILL get on coroplast! No way around it. Wipe it up at your weekly cleaning. A layer of fleece with just wick it to the coroplast!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.