Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Divorced Dad new to the Caves Universe. Need help with something.

Macdaddy65

Cavy Gazer
Hello, forum. First of all, I am a divorced father. My younger daughter recently received a guinea pig from her boyfriend. I bought her another one yesterday along with a new habitat. I was worried about the first piggy being territorial, even though she's only had it two days before coming to my house for the weekend. Alright, that is the background info. My question is this, I have a habitat at my place, I bought because my daughter was here when we got the second one. I didn't want the piggy to stay in the little cardboard box that she came in for the weekend. Back to my question, would it be ok for my daughter to bring her piggies to my place on the weekends that I have her. I quite like this one and find myself going in to check on her quite often. I was very surprised this morning that while I was in my daughter's room talking to her that her piggy came out of her timothy straw tunnel to walk around, nibble on the Romaine leaf in there, sip some water, and check out her food dish. I have a deep voice that doesn't really have an inside mode. I was so happy that she didn't seem terrified of my voice. The reason that I was wondering about transporting them between her mom's place and mine is that her mom doesn't care to take care of animals and my daughter's little brother is ADHD. My daughter has some longer school trips coming up and camps in the summer. I would rather take care of the little girls rather than depend on her mom.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's fine for the pigs to go back and forth.

You do need a large cage for two pigs, and you need to turn them both over and make sure their private parts look the same. Pet stores are notorious for missexing guinea pigs, and we've had many a pregnant "male" on this forum. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate for both sows and pups is high. So please do make sure you've got two same-sex pigs.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.