Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming clipping a pig with black nails?

briannarose

Cavy Slave
my pig marlee has black feet & black nails, how do I go about trimming?
Thanks in advance:p

Clip just abit back at a time. Enough so they dont curl or get to long. If you do cut to far, corn starch or flour with some pressure and it should be ok.

Okay, thanks so much ! :)

Clip just abit back at a time. Enough so they dont curl or get to long. If you do cut to far, corn starch or flour with some pressure and it should be ok.

This is exactly what I do. My Chocolate has one black paw with solid black nails on it and drives me crazy. I just do a little bit at a time and I've never had any problems. Enough to keep them short enough not to become a problem although that paws nails are a bit longer then his other 3.

My black nailed pig i just trim the pointy bits and keep a closer than usual eye on them.

Hi, I also have a guinea pig with black nails. What I'm doing is I'm using a flashlight and put it under the nails so that I can see the blood. And with that you can avoid cutting it.. Hope it helps..

All of Elmo's nails are black and trimming them terrifies me, especially as he wiggles like mad and really doesn't co operate :( I just trim the tips to stop them being sharp, I have to cut them more than Noah's but I'm scared of doing it any other way

Thanks everyone, I'll be clipping all my piggy's nails tonight, I was just worried about getting to close to the quick. I will definitely try the flashlight tip! :D :p

Little and often is the key. A couple of mm off the tip every couple of weeks will be fine. If you're worried about catching the quick have some styptic powder to hand, or alternatively a styptic pencil. Soak the end of the pencil in warm water to one side while you're clipping, if you do catch the quick just press it to the end for a few seconds. Or with the powder, just dip piggie's toe in it. Make sure you give it a good wipe though after it's clotted, you don't want them eating it. Most pet shops will stock styptic powder but you can also get it from pretty much any pharmacy.

Okay, wonderful! I've heard of a product similar called quik-stop? I think that's what it's called :D I should get that before I give them a clip just to be cautious! :)

That's the stuff. It's an antihemorrhagic, basically means it stops bleeding very very quickly and aids the clotting process, also kills any germs that may get into the wound too ^^

I have had heaps of pigs with black nails and if you're not careful, you can really hurt them.
Ditto, little and often. :)
I find they usually get a little squirmy if you've gone too far and ready to cut. Even if you press down on the nail clippers a teeny little bit, they'll scream at you.

I second what @kej4hj

If you start to clip and pig really starts to throw a fit or squel, stop. Chances are you've gone to far. Some squirms and resistance is okay though.

Okay, good! Surprisingly my two girls Peaches & Skunkuh are very calm when I clip there nails, I've never clipped Marlee's before I've only had her for hmm two months so we'll have to see how this goes! :D.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.