Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can my pigs live outside>?

S

SamPig

Can my pigs live outside>?

hello, i live in seattle washington and i keep my pig outside in an insilated shed. they seem to be doing fine. however i am a starting to breed and want to expand.
so i have a covered area on the side of my house with a ceder fence running along side it. there is already a roof over it and it will keep the wind out. but is not insalated and i need to know how much i need to do to make it liveable for my pigs. does anyone know what i need to do? in seattle the weather is all around pretty mild so could somone give me some advice please? thanks

Attachments

Collage 2014-01-20 21_29_42.jpg Collage 2014-01-20 21_12_17.jpg Collage 2014-01-20 21_35_21.jpg 20150520_194848.jpg 20150425_120405.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Can my pigs live outside>?

Don't breed and don't keep them in a shed. Seattle is [/i] less mild than SF and I do not recommend it at all. Too humid and wet.

Need more info on the guinea pig overpopulation problem in Seattle? There are two rescues in Seattle/Bellview. Their contact info is on this site: (broken link removed)

Also, here's a message from one of the rescuers from the Your Thoughts page of Cavy Spirit. This was in response to another breeder, Curt, in Washington who objected to my anti-breeding position:

<blockquote>[/b][/i]Quote:<hr> This is the first time I've been to this site. I'm writing to respond to "Curt" from Washington's post. He has provided some very inaccurate information. I run a shelter in North Seattle (Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House) we receive between two and ten calls every week of the year from people wanting to surrender their guinea pigs. The problem in Washington is that there are waaaaaay too many guinea pigs in the pet stores (Petco being the biggest offender). Petco doesn't explain that g.pigs require hay, or vegetables or should be spayed/neutered. Many are pregnant when sold, they have lice and many have respiratory problems.

In addition to our shelter, there are several other guinea pig rescue groups in Washington state. Cavy Companions in Bellevue (just across the lake from us) also has an overabundance of guinea pigs right now.

Then there's Seattle Animal Control, Everett Animal Control, PAWS in Lynnwood, King County Animal Control and then all of the Humane Societies (Bellevue, Pierce County, etc.) We've rescued g.pigs from all of those shelters, plus from several dump grounds around the Seattle area. Very recently one little male who was dumped at Woodland Park, who we managed to get before the Red Tailed Hawks were able to.

In Eastern Washington there is a huge dump ground where people drop off their rabbits and guinea pigs. Forget the name of the place, but it's at one of the dam's. Of course it's also a huge feeding ground for the raptors, coyotes, foxes, etc.

Everytime "Curt" breeds his guinea pigs, one innocent little pig is euthanized by one of the shelters in Washington. Curt please consider rescuing some of these needy g.pig from your local shelter instead of breeding, and send all of the people who you provide with baby pigs to one of the shelters. You'll feel much better about yourself.

As far as guinea pigs having a "right" to reproduce .... Puleeze! Spaying/neutering animals allows them to live as they prefer, naturally in a herd of male/female g.pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.