Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Can I use vinegar to eliminate lices?

Tsikita

Cavy Slave
I will take two little piggiess on Thursday and I'm curious if I can use vinegar to comb my piggies coat. It is safe for humans, so I thought that it is ok for piggies too. I could dive my comb to vinegar and then pass throught their coat. Then I will take them a bath to avoid irritation. Just as a preventive measure.
I have already bought an anti-parasite bottle, but when we try it on other GP he was jumping up and down like a crazy!! We took him a bath to calm him down!!! The smell was so intense that we couldn't stand it and I opened the window to take a breath.

Sorry for my speling mistakes!

Heavens, NO! Don't put vinegar on your guinea pig!

Vinegar is an acid, and if it's strong enough to kill lice, it will certainly irritate your pig's skin, eyes and nose. You can treat with Advantage or Ivermectin, but you must be very careful about the dosage, particularly of Ivermectin.

Read www.guinealynx.info/lice.html for more information on treating for lice.

Do you know that the pigs you're getting actually have lice?

As I said it will be a preventive measure. I have already read about those medicines that you're suggesting... they can cause neurological and other problems. I was looking for something more natural and less chemical!! I don't know what to do our piggie have already suffer cause of a medicine!

Last edited:
Vinegar won't do the job. Ivermectin is really, really safe. It's very rare for there to be any reaction or problem with it's use, especially when done correctly.

Is this the same medicine?
(broken link removed)
It's from a PHD research.

Where can I find and buy this medicine? And what is the dose... Thank you both for your help!!

You don't need to give them anything to prevent lice. You just need to watch them carefully enough to notice the first symptoms, and then treat for them.

The link you included is to sea bream, which are fish. It has nothing to do with lice or guinea pigs.

If your pigs have lice now, you need to treat them with ivermectin or Advantage -- your vet will know what names they are called by in Greece. If they don't have lice, then just wait until they do.

Combing them with vinegar will not prevent lice.

Ok I will just take them to the vet and I wil be sure for the treatment then!! I was just curious if there was any natural treatment..

Thank you very much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.