Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can I put kitty litter in my Guinea Pig cage?

RubyC

Cavy Slave
I'm a newbie pig owner but I know the basics. I was wondering if I could sprinkle some kitty litter on top of towels in my pig's cage, as kitty litter is a lot cheaper than most bedding.

effervescent

Cavy Slave
I would be concerned about them consuming it, especially if it contains any scents. I think you'd have better luck trying fleece if you can get hold of it. It's what I use. My fleece collection has cost me maybe $75 total and that's a high estimate, but I have blankets in all different types and colors, enough to change the cage several times without washing the fleece. In contrast, over the four or five years before I started with fleece, I probably spent $1500 on bedding, and that's quite conservative, given I bought at least 2 bags a month. The fleece has lasted three years and will keep going. Kitty litter would get expensive quickly like any other bedding. Fleece is also more environmentally friendly in terms of waste.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece over wood pellets is the cheapest way to go, and the best at odor control.

Zofia

Cavy Slave
Fleece is great, or beddings such as Kaytee or Carefresh for soft beddings have pretty good odor control. Kitty litter would definitely be a risk. Keep in mind, unless your piggies are trained to pee in a box or certain area you'll need to wash and change out the fleece quite regularly, of course washing it. It's also best to have old rags/towels or newspapers under the fleece and/or bedding. :)

RubyC

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Can you tell me where you get your fleece that cheap? At all the places I looked, fleece sold for about $50 or more for a single 2x4 c&c liner.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece sells for $5-$12 per yard at fabric stores, whether local or online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.