Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Can guinea pigs not like other guinea pigs full stop?

charlotte1992

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My guinea pigs partner passed away around a month ago so I got her a friend from Gumtree, she was a guinea pig that wasn't wanted anymore as they had a dog and the dog kept trying to attack it. It didn't cross my mind because all the guinea pigs I have bonded before have got on well but when I had taken her he text me saying she doesn't get on well with others. When I asked what he meant he said she has been with a boy and they had fought and that she had had one litter and he said she wasn't good with them. I'm not sure if he was very experienced with guinea pigs as he brought her to me soaking wet after a bath in the 2 degree c weather, which made me wonder how dirty she must have been before he brought her. Luckily I had a big fleece towel in my box to keep her warm till I got her home and she hasn't shown any signs of illness a week on.

My guinea pig that I am bonding her with is 9 months and a very nice but excitable female who bonded easily with my previous pig. This guinea pig is apparently 17 months old, and is a female. She seems like a really nice guinea pig, she lets me rub her chin, stroke her, hand feed her. I can only think she would have fought with others over food or space. She's was quite skinny when I got her but she has gained weight this past week.

My point is: I know it is down to personality but is there a way you can tell if a guinea pig won't get on with others what so ever? How common is it that a guinea pig truly does not like other guinea pigs at all? Is there anything I can do until they meet that can help ease her into meeting the other pig, apart from putting cages next to each other.

I tried playing guinea pig noises to her from YouTube and she just squeaked back, no chattering or anything.

Thanks

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I would just read everything on guinea pig introductions and put a pile of hay in the middle of intro area that you set up on neutral territory for both pigs and let them meet and watch them but don't interfere and see. It kind of sounds like your New Guinea pig was most likely kept in an inadequate cage size and not enough food, so once introductions are done make sure to have double food bowls, water bottles, and everything. What size cage will they be sharing, in then case a 2x5 grid or bigger might be best while they are adjusting to each other.

charlotte1992

Cavy Slave
I would just read everything on guinea pig introductions and put a pile of hay in the middle of intro area that you set up on neutral territory for both pigs and let them meet and watch them but don't interfere and see. It kind of sounds like your New Guinea pig was most likely kept in an inadequate cage size and not enough food, so once introductions are done make sure to have double food bowls, water bottles, and everything. What size cage will they be sharing, in then case a 2x5 grid or bigger might be best while they are adjusting to each other.

Thanks, it's 140x80cm

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Your cage size is bigger than a 2x4 grid but smaller than a 2x5 grid cage, it seems as though it should be big enough for two guinea pigs.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've had some very difficult piggies, that as a general rule of thumb weren't great with other pigs (for the most part).

One of those is Scout, who was part of a large rescue I did where 22 piggies were captured after living and breeding in the cable pits along a railway line. Oh man, she's a lovely piggy, very good with people, but she is Queen Bee of the Universe and was extremely difficult to match up with anyone (I tried a whole range of piggies: females, groups, neutered males, etc.). In the end, after she bullied and attacked her own six-week-old daughters and no longer could be kept with them, I had to get a male piggy neutered that she used to hang out with "in the wild". I knew they would get along because they used to choose to spend time together when they were running around grazing.

They get along fine now in captivity. :)

I also have some other very dominant, strong personalities, and I have been able to find friends for all of them. In my experience not every piggy will get along with every other piggy, but if you're good at reading piggies and working out why they're behaving the way they are, you can usually (usually!) find one or more friends that fit.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
In my experience with grumpy shelter pigs, "Doesn't get along well with other pigs" actually just means "Needs lots of space" or "Needs to be paired with an especially easygoing friend."

charlotte1992

Cavy Slave
I've had some very difficult piggies, that as a general rule of thumb weren't great with other pigs (for the most part).

One of those is Scout, who was part of a large rescue I did where 22 piggies were captured after living and breeding in the cable pits along a railway line. Oh man, she's a lovely piggy, very good with people, but she is Queen Bee of the Universe and was extremely difficult to match up with anyone (I tried a whole range of piggies: females, groups, neutered males, etc.). In the end, after she bullied and attacked her own six-week-old daughters and no longer could be kept with them, I had to get a male piggy neutered that she used to hang out with "in the wild". I knew they would get along because they used to choose to spend time together when they were running around grazing.

They get along fine now in captivity. :)

I also have some other very dominant, strong personalities, and I have been able to find friends for all of them. In my experience not every piggy will get along with every other piggy, but if you're good at reading piggies and working out why they're behaving the way they are, you can usually (usually!) find one or more friends that fit.

Thanks a lot for your advice, I am assuming that perhaps she was in an overcrowded cage that wasn't kept clean and perhaps not had enough access to proper food. So maybe this influenced why she was bad with her babies?

charlotte1992

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot, I'm thinking about perhaps making the cage a bit bigger to increase the chances that things go smoothly if they initially seem to get on at introductions.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Lack of proper food, water and space can definitely make a piggy cranky. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.