Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage cage too dark need safe light source

Michele

Cavy Slave
Just made a triple decker cage for our three piggies that were fighting. They are so much happier now.

I made them deep green fleece liner to simulate grass and to go with our green living room. Now the problem is that the cage is too dark on the bottom two layers and we can barley see the piggies!

I want to know if anyone else has a good idea for a safe light source? Nothing bright and glaring, just enough so that we can actually see them on the lower levels. LED lights are really soft, something like that ?

I saw a cage here that had the LED rope lights and that looked like it might work but I only want to use something that is safe and put where they cannot chew them of course.

thanks
Michele

I would think rope lights are the best way to go. the light part of them are made of rather heavy duty rubber/plastic. Which I doubt a pig would ever get through, or even be interested in. just keep the electrical cord out of the cage.

I'd say go with LED stick on lights, something like this:
(broken link removed)

You could just stick one on the 'roof' of each cage, and it would be safe. I would be too scared using the rope lights, unless they were completely out of the cage - which may not help your darkness problem.

I love my rope lights! I just ziptie them to the outside of the cage at the highest row of the grids. None of my pigs are able to get to them. You can buy them at Walmart or any place like Lowes or Menards in the lighting area.

Here's an old picture but you can see the lights in the background.

You could get some lamps and use the green light bulbs that do not get hot!

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! The stick on lights look easy, and the rope lights look neat too. I'll see what I can come up with and I'll let everyone know what solution I end up with. Thanks again, Michele

I have a question about the stick on lights, can you turn them on & off? I like the rope lights because I can plug them into a power strip and turn them on & off. But I could use the stick on lights for other things.

Yes you can but they run on batteries...so not as economical...especially if left on.

Ok I've looked over my options and I'm going to try the stick on lights. They come 3 to a package on Amazon or Ebay for under $10. Yes they do operate on batteries but if you invest in rechargable batteries and a battery charger you would be able to recharge them multiple times without buying new batteries. Most important they are LED lights that they use which put off little to no heat and last for a very, very long time using very low amount of battery power. You just stick them to the underside of the cage floor so it'll shine down on the floor below and when you want them off you just tap it therefore it doesn't require hooking up to any electrical source. I'm going to try them and I'll post a photo of how they look in case anyone else needs to know.
:)Michele

I'd say go with LED stick on lights, something like this:
(broken link removed)

Wow, My dad got 3 of those and somehow I ended up with all 3 of them. ( Not sure how but I was only supposed to get 1 lol ) and they work GREAT just don't read with them, I found that out the hard way, So now I have glasses. Sorry i'm getting off the point. so these are GREAT you can easily turn them on and off, BUT make sure when you stick the light up make sure it is in the right place! they are SUPER hard to move, Nearly impossible!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.