Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bratty Little One Steals Food

Alyssa Valach

Cavy Slave
For a couple months now, I've noticed my 4 month old likes to steal food from my older cavy. By steal I mean he bites onto the bowl and pulls it away from the other one. I've seen him pull it across the cage just to get it away. As adorable as I think this is, it also causes him to tip over the bowl sometimes and dumps the food all over the bedding. Any advice on how I can get Teddy (the little one) to stop being so bratty?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just enjoy it. It's cute behavior.

You can't teach manners to a guinea pig. You could put two bowls in the cage, or a bowl that won't tip over. Bowls that are flared at the bottom, like some soap dishes, are hard to turn over.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The best food is always in the other pig's mouth (or bowl). :))

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I love it when mine fight over the same piece of hay. They are both sitting in a pile of hay bigger than they are and suddenly they both want the same piece, lol!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
My babies do this. I give them a piece of lettuce and they and mom all pull it out of each other's mouths. I don't think you can teach them not to do it. Try taking your younger one out and feeding so the older one gets a chance to eat some. After he eats about half of the veggies/food/hay, put the younger one back in. That way they both get some.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies does that with veggies. His name is Piglet. I will give all of them one slice of bell pepper, and then Piglet will drop his piece and try to take the other piggies pepper! It's cute!

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
One of mine does this too. It's a behavior that she was born with, she would even grab the bowl with her mouth when she was too small to move it. I use very shallow ceramic bowls to keep them from tipping over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.