Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies One of my Guineas gives me rash, but not others

Butterfly898

Cavy Slave
So I have 3 guinea pigs.
All males.
One is all white, Himalayan.
One is calico - white body, brown face.
Then my youngest, all brown guinea (age 5 months).
He is very sweet, so I like to cuddle him.
But he gives me instant, hivey rash when
His fur touches my skin.
What can I do? Is it something he eats?
But he eats the same food and veg as my other two guineas.
Also,
Are brownish/red Guineas more allergenic?

(Re-homing is not an option, I want to keep him).

It seems very odd that one gives you a rash but not the others. Guinea pigs are pretty much hypoallergenic, and fur colour would make no difference at all.

It's more likely that you're allergic to the hay you're feeding them. Timothy hay can easily trigger an allergic reaction, hence the term "hay fever".

In your case what I would do is switch to something like Oxbow's orchard grass hay. This is what I feed my boys. Clean their cage completely, washing everything down to remove any traces of timothy, then switch to the new hay.

Clean their cage completely, washing everything down to remove any traces of timothy, then switch to the new hay.

Good advice as always,@GPP. Just to piggyback on your thoughts, people often think they are allergic to cavies when it is the timothy hay in their living quarters. Very few people are allergic to the piggies themselves, but react to the hay spores in their fur. After you have washed literally everything in the cage, you probably also need to bathe the cavies to remove any remaining timothy hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.