Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bossy/Destructive Piggy

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boars, one of whom lives on his own since the other two don't want anything to do with him and one of whom would love to murder him. I'd get him a friend if it wasn't for the fact that I've already got 3 and his cage is a bit on the small side since I don't have room for a full 2x3 (he has a 2x 2.5 to maximize available space) let alone another 2x4.

My problem is that Chester is a needy/bossy piggy, he's always been, even when he lived peacefully with the others. If I go into the piggy room and I'm not paying attention to him he starts trying to destroy his cage. He only does this while I'm in the room to get me to come over and pay attention to him (he loves face pets), he doesn't do it when I'm not in the room. Most of the time it involves gnawing on the bars/grabbing and shaking them/pulling on them hard and releasing to make a clatter but he'll also chew the choroplast. He has play stuff/unlimited hay/ etc and as I said before he only does this while you're in the room to get attention. Ignoring him doesn't seem to do much except get angry piggy noises (he's quite the grumper and will let you know quite loudly if he's displeased, its quite the sound) on top of the gnawing. I'm mostly concerned with him damaging his teeth or ingesting choroplast.

He's kinda bad for stuff like this while he's out too. He normally wants to sit up on my chest which I don't really care for since I'm allergic to them/grasses like the hay and it makes my neck all kinds of itchy after. He'll yank and yard on my clothes or latch onto them and try to climb like a parrot to get up there. That or just leap up at my face so I have to catch him. This isn't such a problem since it also makes him easy to pick up while out since he'll usually make a mad dash up my arms and up to my chest, though it can make it hard to put him down when he doesn't want to be.

That can be hard. My allergies have been on red alert since I let my kids get piggies and hamsters. I wasnt allergic before I had my 4th dd but now I am allergic to all the dander and dust all our animals, our dog and cat included bring into the house. I am having to take allergy pills in the morning and benadryll at night, maybe this could help you. It keeps me from being super itchy and keeps me breathing. As for his behavior I only have kids to compare it with as we are still trying to get our piggies use to us. For kids ignoring it works, if that doesnt work then I am out of idea's. I dont think piggies know how to take a time out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.