Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bending the back..Pain or Pleasure? A Reaction to something?

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
This is a two part question.

I saved my 5-6 month old female guinea pig, Hunter from a horrible adoption place almost a month ago. In that time she and I have come to trust and love each other, to the point where she is jumping into and on my arms. She now allows me to pet her. But when I pet her, sometimes, she does something that's very odd. She bends her back. Rump firm on the ground but stands tall on her front feet. She doesn't make any noises, just remains like that until I stop petting her.

Is she in pain? Is she enjoying the petting?

Two weeks ago I brought her to a exotic animal vet. To make sure she was in good health Everything checked out, except for one thing. A small patch of red, flaky skin on her back. No where else, just this one tiny spot. The vet tells me to keep an eye on it, and I do. While I don't SEE any other patches of red, flaky skin. She's itchy and cleans herself a lot. But she seems happy and content.

She eats and drinks normally, and keeps to a well-kept schedule.

For bedding I use carefresh complete natural. She's fed Oxbow timothy hay and Oxbow young guinea pig food. She's given fresh veggies but REFUSES to eat "wet" veggies (i.e: peppers, zucchini, cucumber ect). The room is kept cool with the assistance of a new AC unit.

Could her itchiness be caused by her bedding or food?

I need guidance and advice. How to I make sure Hunters skin is OK?

Thank you!

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
This is a copy from a post that was closed due to multiple threads on the same topic (didn't even get any advice on either question..).

Hunter has been acting very strangely lately. I hope someone can give me advice and/or peace of mind.

Last week, Hunter was bending her back when getting petted. She's still doing it. Butt firm to the ground, standing tall on her front legs.

This week, she has started letting me pick her up and she lays peacefully against my chest.

But now she's sleeping outside of her hiddy. She's eating and everything is the same.

Am I missing something?

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
Unrelated to Guinea pig topic: I'd add it to my previous post, but it's past the "10 minute mark"
I'm not looking to start problems. But..
@bpatters I get it. being an administrator on ANY forum takes dedication and work. I wont take that from you or attempt to discredit your dedication to the users and this forum. Everyone, including myself are lucky to have you. You're one of the first to answer questions and help others on taking care of guinea pigs.

However, if you actually read the information above. You'd be able to see that it's two separate issues, simultaneously. I simply made note of the previous issue that remains unanswered in a previous thread that I couldn't edit. But instead you closed the thread, without even helping. If your unable to help, that's fine. I respect that.

But to close a thread without giving any advice and ignoring the help needed is inhospitable..

Shieme

Cavy Slave
It seem like you could have added that other topic to this one. Mine likes to sleep outside her hidey hole if I'm near by. If she isn't showing signs of pain I wouldn't worry. I would look for missing fur or a lot of scratching. I think she just loves ya. She want attention.

If if bpatters doesn't know anything to advise you on, he won't. If he knew something there is NO way he would not have commented.

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
I tried to edit, but I kept getting an error message stating it's past the 10 minute mark contact administrator.

It's hard to know if bending the back means pain. She doesn't make noises or runs. She scratches a lot though.

I hope you're right @Shieme.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We'd really rather you make one thread about your pig and keep all your posts to that. It's much easier for people to help you if the information isn't scattered all over the forum.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
My Poppy Jo does this same behavior when I'm petting her. She actually comes to the same spot of the cage and waits for me to start petting her. I get the impression Poppy Jo is asking to be petted but prepared to run if she has any indication I'm going to pick her up. She loves petting and allows it to go on for as long as I will stand there. Sometimes she popcorns after I stop then comes back for more. lol

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I respect that and understand that now. I'm sorry that being concerned about the wellbeing of my little furry friend made the rule unseen. In the future I'll be sure to add it to an existing forum.

Last edited:

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
@Pammers2169 So this is normal? I was worried it was because she was in pain. Thank you so much..

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Pappers2169, mine does the same for petting. She then gets too happy and popcorns before I'm done petting then goes back into the spot.

Happy Cavy, the scratching has to be pretty much non stop. Mine scratches too but not a lot. I think your girl loves your attention!

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Mine would lift their chins up because they want chin scratches but this doesn't sound like the same thing.

I am concerned about that patch of red skin though. If she seems to be acting like she is in pain from you petting her then I would be thinking about treating for mites. It can be painful for the pig and they will cower away from touch. Has the skin improved at all?

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
do guinea pigs have hiccups?

Hunter is making an odd hiccup like noise. Is this something I should be concerned about?

She's also sneezing 2x a day. But her daily activies are

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.